Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which TomTom & Speed Camera POI? Mac User
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which TomTom & Speed Camera POI? Mac User

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astrobhoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Which TomTom & Speed Camera POI? Mac User Reply with quote

I've been using TomTom mobile for the past few years, and wish to just buy the normal unit now. I will only use it for the UK as my father in law has the 910 if we ever go abroad.
I would like to install the Speed Camera POI, and i see that I can purchase the TomTom Speed Camera Database card for £20; but also notice that this forum has a speeed camera monthly subscription.
Could i use a TomTom Go (new version) with the speed camera database found on this forum, and install it using my Mac?

Any advice more than welcome.

AstroBhoy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can, and it's better too in so many ways: - More comprehensive, updated more often, includes mobile sites, adjustable warning times/distances, real voice alerts or custom warning sounds - none of which TomTom's own can do.
Also, I think there are still a few issues using TomTom's "Home" programme (which you'd need to download their own camera database) on a Mac, but I may be wrong.
astrobhoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks andy. What do you mean by 'Home' programmeand any idea what the issues are? Does that mean i have to buy the TomTom database from them too?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Home" is TomTom's utility to help manage what you put on your Tomtom satnav.

It's supposed to make it easy to manage your software, map and POI downloads, and your system backups, but most people who are computer-literate find it easier and quicker to just use their normal computer copy-and-paste routines to add stuff. Home is not the BEST designed bit of software in the world, if you get my drift!

Unfortunately, they've fixed it so that you HAVE to use it to update the operating software now, and new map downloads are done through it at the moment too.

You don't need to buy the database from them at all. The PGPSW one is easy to download and add, using copy-and-paste.

Afraid I can't remember exactly what the problems with Home on a Mac were, it might have been just that you couldn't have the TomTom working on-screen in "virtual" mode like you can on Windows.
Hopefully a Mac user will set me straight...
astrobhoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers Andy.In that case i'll just get access to a PC to install the stuff. There are sometimes 'hidden 'files with pc stuff that don't initially show up with a mac - perhaps it's something to do with that.

I think i'll go with this forum's database. I also see ALDI's have a 2GB SD card going for £10 - might get this to use as a backup. I see there are 3 different speed camera downloads. Is it adviseable to download and install all 3?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOME on the Mac is pretty stable and works fine, no problem installing updates using it on my MacBook.

If you chhose not to you can just extract the updates and install manually on a ac too, you don't need to use a PC.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't just get the cheapest card you can find. There are certain speed standards it needs to meet. Again check this forum for some sugestions.

NO don't download all three versions! Well. actually you can download them all, just don't install them all at once, otherwise you will have the same thing three times over.
Each version of the Database has ALL of the cameras in it. the difference is just how they are split up:

Quote:
What camera database categories do I need?

Well it is down to personal choice and the limitations of your SatNav package. If you were to stay in the UK there are 3 levels of options (if unsure just download the single file cameras, and when you have a better understanding of it all, download other files):

Single File: Contains all the speed cameras in a single file irrespective of type.As stated above, this category contains all of the above categories, except for the Continental one. It is for UK users who have SatNav systems that can only use a limited number of POI categories at time:

pocketgps_uk_sc

Consolidated by Type: Contains one file for each type of speed camera. This is just the main categories and none of the subcategories that show speed limits:

pocketgps_uk_gatso
pocketgps_uk_mobile
pocketgps_uk_redlight
pocketgps_uk_specs
pocketgps_uk_temp

Speed Zoned: Contains the speed cameras in individual files for each speed limit and each camera type. If you want the above but with subcategories of the Gatso, Mobile, and SPECS databases to show speed related cameras:

pocketgps_uk_gatso_20
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40
etc
etc

Since that description was written, they've added another load of files for un-verified possible mobile sites (the "P mobile" files). Again, it's up to you whether you want to install them as well or not.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of topics that mention problems with Home and Macs in the past:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=46717&highlight=mac
and http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=43954&highlight=mac
or http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9992
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well clearly I'm doing something wrong as it's always worked fine for me on a variety of devices!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't shoot the messenger! Laughing

I've never touched a mac, except for our dedicated Protools set-up, and I have enough trouble with that!

EDIT - Just visited t'other forum before I shut down this PC for the night and found the latest post...
Tt910 Not Recognised On Mac 10.4.10 Ppc Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Don't shoot the messenger! Laughing

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to. I was simply pointing out that to assume there will be a problem when for most of us their isn't is an odd way to go!

There are issues on PC too but we don't automatically assume that everyone will suffer them Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the on-screen "virtual Go" work on the Mac now? I think that seemed to be the main outstanding issue.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't but to be honest I don't see the point of it, if I want to I can just use the GO!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: