Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Annoying overspeed warning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Annoying overspeed warning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I understood all that, but it sounds great.

Good luck with the hack. :D
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm prepared to accept the inaccuracies etc, but how can I get it to give me an AUDIBLE warning when it detects an overspeed ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not possible at the moment, the new (as yet to be released) version 7 software does have an audio warning for overspeed, so upgrade to the new version when available and you can be shouted at for driving on a motorway at more than 30MPH.
Unless the embeded data in the map changes and improves the accuracy an audio warning of overspeed is not something I would want - Mike
blackwellgraham
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v7 looks interesting

http://www.yournav.com/content/s/342/First_meet_with_TomTom_NavCore_7.html
sollythegolly
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This business of being able to block roads, and stuff - then share the information with other users is interesting.
Do I assume that TomTom have considered the possibility of e-vandalism, i.e., the malicious posting of erroneous data?
Could someone, by whatever nefarious means some of these hackers have, block the entire road system?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answered HERE (and elsewhere too)
lyghthouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a solutionon my tomtom go 300

I updated maps and software last night and ended up with the speed problems (dingy red).

I disabled the speed display and re enabled it and also went to the map selection page and reselected the UK map.

The speed display is back to normal. No more red but it only gives you your speed not the speed of the road you are on
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to disappoint you, but it sounds like either you've just re-selected your OLD map(!), or, more likely, you've only been travelling on roads that don't have any speed data since you did your "fix".

The speed limit data is built into the new map, so if you have the display set to show your own speed, then (on v6 software) it WILL show the road's limit, but only if that data is available for that particular road.

If it isn't, the display will look just like it used to... it can't turn red, because it doesn't know when it should!
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young-goat wrote:
I'm prepared to accept the inaccuracies etc, but how can I get it to give me an AUDIBLE warning when it detects an overspeed ?

I've found something that does almost what I want but it has to be set manually to each speed limit as they change.
You can preselect what limits you want to be warned of, and switch between them by just tapping the screen

It's called Tripmaster and is available from
http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/tripmaster.php?lang=uk

There is a 'cut down' version of it called 'Speed Control' which is just speed and speed limit alarms but you have to install Tripmaster as well so it seems a bit pointless. Plus I found it made my Tom Tom 500 hang whenever I selected it and had to do a hard reset to get it working again

I have now deleted 'Speed Control' and just use 'Tripmaster'
magic1955
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently just bought the western European map and it has this overspeed warning where the characters flash red when you are overspeed by a few miles an hour and in good daylight you cant read them, so just when you enter a lower speed limit and really want to see your speed on the sat nav you cant see the speed at all. Brilliant who thought of that I asked them, no answer was forthcoming!!! In addition there are so many errors on the map the readout of the speed limit is fairly useless. I contacted Tom tom support and asked them how to change the software, colours to something you can see, cant do it they said. Ok lets have my money back them I will use the old map, cant do it they said. There was quite a bit of correspondance and I sent them the link to this forum to prove it was not just me. I phoned them about the problem, that was a waste of a 30 minute phone call and they never phoned back as promised. I think I will sell my Tom Tom on e bay and buy a road angel, you can see the speed on those very easily. Tom Tom dont appear to care but they did send me a customer survey questionare to ask how I rated their support, the link did not work. Road Angel here i come
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magic1955 wrote:
I have recently ..... .....
Yes, we've heard it all before. As I've been suffering this for over six months, I'm now simply resigned to it and hardly even swear much at it any longer - it's on my wishlist for the 520/720 to be able to disable it from doing the red flashing, but I'll not hold my breath. It's a brilliant idea IF it flashed a legible colour and IF the speed info was correct. IF!!

However, it's not so bad that I'm off elsewhere - not THAT bad, not THAT widespread inaccuracy. Might some of it be just a teeny bit of genuine speeding? I don't travel in my daughter's car because she seems to think speed limits (and daddy's protests) are there to be ignored. No offense intended, but you don't by any chance go over the speed limit if the road's clear and straight and you can see there are no cameras about?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its even worse on European roads if the speed is in kph.
On autoroutes it means both numbers are 3 figures, so smaller and even more difficult to read.
However, less need to exceed the higher speed limit there.
I find the car's speedometer a more useful indication of speed now that I know what its error is in the 70-80 mph range.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: