Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom 7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom 7
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 7 Reply with quote

This is the first I've seen of it:

http://www.yournav.com/content/s/342/First_meet_with_TomTom_NavCore_7.html

I guess we can kiss goodbye to any further updates on Tomtom 6 then, since I assume all development effort is going into this new version...
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the first you've seen of it, you need to spend more time looking around when you're here. Sad
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Embarassed

Have I missed something then? I did a search but didn't find anything...
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yournav put it in two or three separate articles. We left it as one, on the front page. The discussion thread is here.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - now I see.

I have little interest in 'Go' devices so I didn't look at that article, nor the thread attached. It doesn't refer to the software core as 'Tomtom 7' so I didn't recognise it as such.

But now I think about it I suppose it is obvious...

Apologies - but maybe there's someone else out there as short-sighted as me who might benefit from my embarrassment though... Wink
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eillo7 wrote:

Apologies - but maybe there's someone else out there as short-sighted as me who might benefit from my embarrassment though... Wink

That's me. I didn't know about it either!
laurie53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me neither
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, forgive me, but I'm sure I'm not alone in that I've never visited any of the other forums which relate to products other than those I own, even from the same manufacturer. (see below).

Also, experience shows that assuming new PND features are likely to feature in future upgrades for Nav. version X is a fairly pointless exercise.

It's fairly safe to assume that with a new core version on the horizon for PNDs, then we're entering the (probably) slow process of awaiting something similar for Mobile/PDA - perhaps with some Nav-Share features?!

Anyway, Nav 6 is unlikely to be updated further - exciting new features will be held over. God knows how long we'll wait for V7 - and then there's the chance that the devices able to run it haven't even been brought to market yet!

Note to self: put News And Latest Information forum on my regular browsing agenda!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly all the presentations we have seen from a variety of manufacturers show a rapid decline in the prevalence of PocketPC/Palm usage and a proportionate massive increase in PNDs. Surprisingly, Smartphones are still not considered to be a huge market although they are consuming some business from PDA's.

As a result its reasonable to expect the focus to be on development for PNDs in future with any release for PDAs being of secondary importance.
jcjeffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently wondered if it is cost effective for TomTom to continue produceing a a PDA version of the software because the user support costs must be so high. Although the hardware devices are far from perfect, there is less oportunity for the customer to "break" the software than on a PDA. I bought a "ONE" at Christmas , not for use by me before I got TomTom for my PDA.

There are no installation problems with the ONE, it just works or as sometimes happens does not work at all and requires a software restore from a backup. From my own experience and what I read on the forum most problems on PDAs seem to be with the installation with problems finding voices, postcodes or maps. Misunderstanding or just not reading the instructions is a big souce of problems.

All Windows PDAs are theoretically 100% compatible but just like with desktop PCs there are inevitably incompatibilities. You then get situation where TomTom, Microsoft and the hardware manufacturer all deneying its their problem. At least with TomTom hardware there should be less chance of incompatibilities as you only have one company to deal with.

As an IT Support person I have always been of the opinion that multi use devices such as a PC is not suitable for use at home by the majority of the population. I hope TomTom continue to support other hardware like the PPC but wouldnt be surprised if it stops especially as we are told its a small part of the market.

Chris
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - you have restored my faith in the ability of others in the human race to be as short-sighted as me. Laughing

On the issue of PNDs versus PDA/smartphone, I imagine the leakage from crakced software is another reason to move the focus away from third party hardware. There is little point in cracking a PND, since one must first possess the unit in order to make use of the crack - yes, there is a market in stolen PNDs, but I suspect it is substantially smaller than the market in cracked PDA software.

It is a shame that Tomtom don't yet recognise the value of the smartphone market though - more and more devices are being launched with built-in GPS receivers so things do seem to be heading in that direction (at least for those who want a converged device instead of lugging around a separate PND).
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be a brave person not to see convergence as the future - try jumping out of the car at midnight in any city centre carrying ipod and sat nav and pocket digi camera and mobile and see if you feel all warm and comfy. Don't forget all the chargers/batteries too...

However PNDs are always going to be a manufacturer's premium product line; controlled environment, customer lock-in, high margins, distribution via managed channels etc...

I wonder how many people carry a pocket camera and their camera-equipped mobile these days? I think TT et al will be dragged along by those of us with the courage of our convictions and willing to vote with our wallets - I like my smartphone and anyone that can add value to it gets my £s.
saywell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With PDAs now appearing with good built-in GPS (eg Glofiish), there is a new market opening up. Previously PDA users have to be tech-savvy enough to cope with pairing, OS crashes etc. With on-board GPS the PDA should be as easy as a stand-alone device. It will also have built-in phone/wireless for traffic info and voice calls, so no need even to pair with a 'phone (as the satand-alone devices have to).

Furthermore, you can get out of the car and switch from the car navigation software to Ordnance Survey based mapping for your walks, and ditch the GPSr device as well!

I hope the drift away from PDA software isn't too premature so all these advantages are lost!

William
widu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone seems to have forgotten that PNDs are actually a software running device that runs an embedded program! IIRC TomTom uses Linux. The AytoBe (see this forum) is a dedicated device running another TT competitor (Navigator I think) and people have cracked that down to it's OS and now have them running TomTom.

Therefore it's not deal of development to have the PPCs running the software, in fact they may pass that development on the way to embedding in a PND if windoze based.

I can't quite see it being the end of the windoze PDA yet, but remember TT isn't windoze
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

widu wrote:
Everyone...
I can't quite see it being the end of the windoze PDA yet, but remember TT isn't windoze

I'm very much the minority, not 'everyone' - I suffer the blight of being Palm based (never heard of windoze fans thinking they alone exist before!). We're possibly going to morph to a Linux base in the future, though in truth we may not survive that long!

I don't think it's the technical issues that will encourage manufacturers; they'd love our PDAs to go away, leaving users to commit to their (dedicated) hardware platform in the shape of PNDs, for all the reasons I outlined before. It's only those of us that enjoy the form-factor of our smartphones/PDAs etc that hold out hope, and hopefully (but unlikely) we'll be a growing minority.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: