Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Two sets of software and maps for TT6 from a supplier
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Two sets of software and maps for TT6 from a supplier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Two sets of software and maps for TT6 from a supplier Reply with quote

I was talking to my friend yesterday, and I told her I was waiting for my new TT6 and mapping. She told me I should have come to her first, but just as I was about to tell her off for accepting pirated software she produced 2 sets of TT6 and MOWE, one opened and one sealed, she said that they both came on the one order a month or so ago but she only ordered and paid for one. She has informed the supplier but they have never got back to her other than the last email that said they were unable to deal with her enquiry. The open box looks genuine from what I can see but she says she won't sell it as she doesn't know the legality of it but she would have given it to a friend for safe keeping. Anyone know where she stands. On a side note the postman has been today with my TT6 gubbins so the house work will have to wait while I set it all up. :D
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh - Moral issues Confused

The duplicated order does not belong to your friend - it has been sent to her in error.
Who knows - maybe someone on the packing dept is going to be in big trouble for this, or even have to pay for it out of their own wages etc etc Question

Your friend needs to be careful to make sure they do not fall foul of being guilty of Theft - even though it was not her fault she received it !

Definition of Theft :
A person is guilty of theft if they Dishonestly appropriate property belonging to another, with the intention of permanently depriving them of it. - Section 1(1) Theft Act, 1968.

( e.g If you "find" a handbag in the street containing £1000 cash and kept it for yourself without trying to return it to its owner you would be guilty of theft. You would be expected to take reasonable steps to identify the owner and return it to them - which you could do by handing it in to the Police, to whom it could reasonably be expected the loss would have been reported to. When handing it in you can register an intention to claim the property if the owner is not identified within 28 days.)

If your friend keeps the software, knowing it has not been paid for, and uses it / sells it on etc. then they "could" be guilty of Theft. Embarassed

If they notify the supplier of their error ( which your friend has done ) then that would remove the element of "dishonest appropriation", but the software still remains the property of ( and is owned by ) the supplier. Sad

If your friend sent a notice in writing to the supplier ( Recorded delivery post is a good idea ) such as "If you do not make arrangements to collect the incorrectly delivered goods within 28 days ( or other reasonable time period ) then I will assume you no longer have an interest in them, and that ownership will pass to me." then this should be enough to negate any allegation of Theft.

After the time period had lapsed your friend could use or sell the software, but of course there is no guarantee that Registration of the software or support for it would be provided, and there would be no obligation for the software company to do so.

..... or she could just send it back to them and potentially recieve no more than a nice warm feeling that she has done the right thing !

It's all just a matter of moral values really Rolling Eyes
widu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she has sent them correspondence (can be email) stating that they must collect it at their cost and if they have not done so after 14 days she can lawfully keep it. It's written in the distance selling regs somewhere- to stop companies just sending you stuff and you hving to keep and pay for it or return at your cost.

Sounds like she's gotten a bargain!
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so sure about that.....

The Consumer Protection ( Distance Selling ) Regulations 2000, as amended, includes legislation to cover "unsolicited" goods that are sent out by the supplier, ( i.e. where the supplier intends that the recipient should either pay for them or return them ), but in this case the goods were not sent in this manner - they were sent by mistake. Confused

The recipient has not been invoiced for the extra software so this is not "unsolicited goods", and the protection afforded by this legislation may not apply. Embarassed

I'm no legal expert so this is just my personal opinion - but if the previous advice is followed you would have shown that you acted reasonably and should be OK Wink
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, she has emailed them again asking for them to collect it within 28 days and asking for an initial response within 48 hours. She has also offered to pay for it as she was going to buy tt6 and gb map for her daugher in august. I have told her to put the maps on her daughters pda and if they want it back or want paying then pay them.

Cheers for all the info.
widu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honesty is a much berated virtue :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: