Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Origin Technologies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Origin Technologies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand a reluctance to allow a review of a Beta or Pre-release device but this is available to buy and so any review can only reflect that which a buyer would experience.

If they are reluctant because of bugs then one can only surmise that the unit has been released too early?
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as westewoo has been acting as a guinea pig for Origin testing out the updates on the software, thats undoubtable the case.
sneeks
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm certainly a lot to consider there. If the sat nav side of things is still as poor as it was then I'm probably best looking as buying one of the more well known sat nav units and using a camera database with that. If I am to choose the Alert then I'm still looking at paying £200 with my trade-in, I can buy a Garmin or TomTom for less than that.

I'd like to read comments from those who continue to use the Pogo Drive to establish if things have improved as I do rate the Origin database.

Nuttynurse, the talex Lite is a brilliant unit with a very good database. It includes mobile locations but on some roads these can sound every couple of minutes and you'll end up ignoring them. Still nice to have the option.

I'd rate the main databases in the following order (excluding this sites DB cause I've only used it once a long time ago):

1. Talex
2. Origin/Pogo (Misses out on joint 1st place due to lack of mobile sites)
3. Roadpilot
4. Road Angel
5. Snooper (lacked many fixed camera locations which have been in the area I live for years)
westewoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi gang. i have been away in the lakes over the weekend in the camper, and i have covered 300 miles, wich in all fairness is like having a day off to me as i usually cover about 500 miles a night, but some of the lanes i went down 6'6" jobs were named, about 90% and it never missed a beat. the early problems with locking up, crashing ect. are gone. my unit has'nt had a fit in over 5000 miles.
there is still work going on with a mute button, motorway mode (to stop false alerts with a camera parralell to the motorway) and also the latest mapping fro navteq.
i have also surgested that accident an emergancy hospitals be aded to the p.o.i.
i did think myself about exchanging the unit for an alert, but once the following have been sorted, i think this will be a cracking unit, and also after having such a large screen unit, and going to something as small as the alert might be a bit of a strugle Smile
this is just my opinion.
its about time origin sent me an alert, so i can compare the two units together, and let you know my findings. :D
sneeks
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that Talex now offer their database for use with TomTom, that's an option I'd definitely consider.
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sneeks,

Thanks for your feedback on the 'Talex' I certainly had'nt even considered it as an option previously but will now. I really don't get the point of a unit that will alert to only certain types of camera's whilst withholding others i.e. mobile sites, from its database.

If and when the Pogo Drive has all the bugs ironed out of it, maybe in the MK11 version, it will definitely be a nice unit to have. Apart from the bugs in the unit, I found the sat nav just to basic at the end of the day, even though this was of a secondary consideration when I first bought it. I naively believed that a simple A 2 B device would be adequate for my needs, it wasn't. It lacked the flexibility to allow me to decide what I did i.e to take a detour and for the Pogo to simply reroute me using my course and heading. Instead it forever tried to turn me around back to where I had come from or to a point along its own chosen route adding miles to my journey. My brother's much older Garmin i3 does a much better job than the Pogo in this respect and you could hear the voice on this device clearly at whatever speed. The graphics for the camera database are definitely a plus but having used the DS again of late, despite its "Taxi Meter" appearance, it makes you appreciate the all round flexibibility this unit had and the potential it could have had.
sneeks
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fortunate to buy a Talex Lite for only £29.99 when Somerfields had them on a weekly special last year. At this price it was £390 cheaper than my very first Origin B2 and matched it for performance in every way. The database updates were great, usually up to date with roadworks SPECS camera locations and other temp cameras. I'd certainly have no hesitation in pairing this database with the TomTom One, it's the option I'm now most likely to choose.
sneeks
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received this reply from Origin today regarding the Pogo Alert database:

"The Pogo Alert runs on a database using GPS. There is also a laser detector. Mobile sites are not on the database."

That pretty much makes my mind up, I will not be spending £250 on a Pogo unit.
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sneeks,

Thanks again for the feedback. Pity I missed the promotion on the Talex at under £30 its a bargain against the Pogo and even at £80 by the sounds of it. I will definitely be looking at this more fully. The Pogo may have nice graphics which gives it a certain appeal but there is little point to these if they don't cover mobiles sites etc.
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again sneeks,

Just been to Talexgps.co.uk and see they are also promoting a sat nav unit with the Talex database installed (Talex 7000T) have you come across this yet? It is £350 however. Will be interesting to see the comparison between it implementation of sat nav and speedcamera feature with the Pogo Drive.

Maybe Darren you will have more luck requesting a test unit from Talex to try out!
sneeks
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Smile

The Talex sat nav unit is overpriced. I think a TomTom One for £140 plus the Talex DB at £25 would be the ideal solution. With that package I'd have an excellent sat nav unit with plenty of options and also the addition of a very good camera database which includes mobile and redlight locations. The redlight cameras are not so important as I've never ran a red light and wouldn't wish too.

http://www.embeddedtechnology.co.uk/talextt.html

The Talex sat nav is a Navigon unit running MobileNavigator 6. I've read a couple of reviews regarding the software it uses and I was not overly impressed. They have two options, the 7000T (£299) or the 6000T (£199).

http://www.navigon.com/site/uk/en

The cheapest I have seen the Talex Lite online is £66 delivered.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to how you rate Talex's database in comparison to ours? We have a Navigon 7000 in for review, not the version with Talex's database but the same otherwise and whilst it's OK, it doesn't justify that price tag.

I've also tested a Talex for a review some time ago and thought it quite good but I don't think it's database is as comprehensive as ours in regard to mobiles. That's my personal opinion of course so I'd value another comparison?
sneeks
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll happily test them side by side if you like and let you know my findings? I can run your database on my TomTom Mobile software. How do I go about getting a recent version of your database, it's a long time since I ever used it?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replied to your PM.
motley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Talex Navigon and mobile coverage Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'd be interested to how you rate Talex's database in comparison to ours? We have a Navigon 7000 in for review, not the version with Talex's database but the same otherwise and whilst it's OK, it doesn't justify that price tag.

I've also tested a Talex for a review some time ago and thought it quite good but I don't think it's database is as comprehensive as ours in regard to mobiles. That's my personal opinion of course so I'd value another comparison?

There's a reasonable Talex Navigon review on the same site that BBQ highlighted as a source for the Talex Tomtom Product:

LINK REMOVED

However positive this review is, I have yet to find any SatNav that comes close to the ease of use, the junction zoom, the itineraries and the routing accuracy of Tomtom.

BTW I called Talex, apparently they have 19k mobile site in their database, how does that compare to the pocketgpsworld count?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: