Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One (v4) clicking sounds..
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One (v4) clicking sounds..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarsErik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: TomTom One (v4) clicking sounds.. Reply with quote

I bought a TomTom One (v4) a few weeks ago. After using my TT One a few hours I realize there's something wrong with the sound. Or in more technical terms; There's something wrong with the sample playback.

So what's the problem? Well each time sample playback starts there's a short "click" sound, as if the speaker gets a little burst of static just before playing back a sound sample.

Example

This is how it's supposed to sound when getting directions

This is how it sounds on the TomTom One units i've tried.

Since the volume of the "click" sound is constant it gets more obvious/anoying when lowering the playback volume on the TomTom. And if you ask me using a silent voice skin (Like the one found here.) turns out to be far from silent.

What I've done sofar.
Since I thought this was a fault on the TT One I contacted TT services and I sent the unit to them for repair. They returned a new one saying that they couldn't fix the problem (whatever that means). The new unit I got "clicks" just like the one I sent to them. Yesterday I tried out a friends TomTom One and his unit behaves and sounds exactly the same. So at the end of the day I've tried out 3 different TomTom One all having the same crappy sample playback.

I've also tried to fix the problem by:

1. Buying a bigger SD card with more free memory.
2. Reinstalling the OS of the TT One.
3. Resetting the TT One.
4. Trying out all the voices bundled with the tomtom.
5. Installing voices/samples using TomTom Home and regular file copy.

The big question to YOU.
If you own a TomTom one is; Are you also experiencing the click-ing sound?

Sincerely
LarsErik

Last edited by LarsErik on Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My One V1 does NOT do this if that helps.
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:
My One V1 does NOT do this if that helps.

Neither does mine, but then I don't use any of the installed voices, I use Vickie Archer voice.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like exactly what happens when a digital to analogue converter has a D.C. voltage on its output. Instead of the audio signal going positive and negative around zero volts, it "sits" at a slight voltage. This means that whenever a sample is played the loudspeaker (or the analogue circuitry feeding it) has to suddenly jump from one DC voltage to another, causing the click.
Now every digital to analogue circuit I've seen has some way to trim this offset to zero, either fixed in the design or adjustable by a service engineer. Whichever is the case here, it is definitely a fault, and should be correctable, even if only by another replacement.
Start another ticket with them saying that it is NOT common to all units and requesting another solution.
LarsErik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the information Andy. I think I'm gonna have a hard time convincing TomTom Services about this but I'll try for sure.

I'm by the way using a TomTom One II.

Sincerely
LarsErik
LarsErik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that I'm a bit suppriced that I'm the only one who experience this problem. And what's more strange is that I managed to try out 3 different TomTom One II all with the same problem.. I mean what are the odds? Rolling Eyes

sincerely
LarsErik
uptowndisco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: One Audio Click Reply with quote

LarsErik wrote:
I must say that I'm a bit suppriced that I'm the only one who experience this problem. And what's more strange is that I managed to try out 3 different TomTom One II all with the same problem.. I mean what are the odds? Rolling Eyes

sincerely
LarsErik

You are not alone , mine also has the click/pop at the start of the audio , I have owned the One V2 since it first went on sale, it does not bother me , I just put it down to cheaper components compared to the other models.

I also still own since its release a TT Classic and a TT Rider , no Audio click from them. 8)
LarsErik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well I've talked to TomTom support and they told me that this is the way a TomTom One II is supposed to sound.. Sad

They did however, quite strangely, suggest that I should sent it to them again for "repair", but that seems to be quite pointless. I'm just gonna sell it instead.

I expected a gps unit costing €300 to have high quality, but I guess my standards are way to high. Wink

Sincerely
LarsErik
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsErik wrote:
Ok, well I've talked to TomTom support and they told me that this is the way a TomTom One II is supposed to sound.. Sad

They did however, quite strangely, suggest that I should sent it to them again for "repair", but that seems to be quite pointless. I'm just gonna sell it instead.

I expected a gps unit costing €300 to have high quality, but I guess my standards are way to high. Wink

Sincerely
LarsErik

Wot a loads of sphericals!

I've just checked a 300, V1, V4 & a 510 without this clicking sound.
LarsErik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:
LarsErik wrote:

Sincerely
LarsErik

Wot a loads of sphericals!

I've just checked a 300, V1, V4 & a 510 without this clicking sound.

Well I've got a TomTom One V2. It's quite possible the only version that has this "problem". Some care about this some dont.

I'm not sure what sphericals means but I'm guessing you think I'm being a dramaqueen? Smile

Sincerely
LarsErik
RQ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsErik,

Spherical = round.

What 2 round things do boys have?

The binman agrees with you and thinks that TomTom's excuse is a load of "sphericals"

TT1v3 6.560 1713 UK&NI 660.1199
TTG700 6.520 1387 MoWE 660.1219

Last edited by RQ on Fri May 25, 2007 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LarsErik, I have just bought a TomTom ONE, and mine is ok, the others you tried, where/who's were they, if they were new, in a shop, possibly they are a bad batch. Next time you are away from home, visiting another area, see if you can listen to a TomTom ONE, in a shop somewhere, and see if there's have a "Click" on them, you may find the fault isn't on the batch that this shop has, just a thought.
LarsErik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RQ wrote:
LarsErik,

Spherical = round.

What 2 round things do boys have?

The binman agrees with you and thinks that TomTom's excuse is a load of "sphericals"

Ah.. and I thougth I was being insulted.. doh..
LarsErik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanda wrote:
Hi LarsErik, I have just bought a TomTom ONE, and mine is ok, the others you tried, where/who's were they, if they were new, in a shop, possibly they are a bad batch. Next time you are away from home, visiting another area, see if you can listen to a TomTom ONE, in a shop somewhere, and see if there's have a "Click" on them, you may find the fault isn't on the batch that this shop has, just a thought.

Interesting.. Are you really sure? (Have you heard the sound examples I made?)

tanda, try using this silentVoice skin. Makes it dead easy to spot the click-ing sound.

I've also been thinking of the possiblilites of a "bad batch" but I'm more and more starting to belive it's me having way to high standards. I'm gonna try to try out some more units to see if I find a click-free TT One II. (And sofar there's no one interesting in buying my TTOne.)

Sincerely
LarsErik
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lars, I can hear the click on your demo, but on my TomTom ONE, running a demo, there is deffinatly no click, there is a very, very, slight hummmmm, coming from the TomTom, but thats with my ear pressed up to it, but deffinatly no click on the directions, when it is running a demo.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: