Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Annoying overspeed warning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Annoying overspeed warning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
user10664
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: tomtom Reply with quote

do what i did forget tomtom and get a garmin nuvi puts tomtom to shame
tetleyman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: tomtom Reply with quote

johnnyh wrote:
do what i did forget tomtom and get a garmin nuvi puts tomtom to shame

You took the words out my mouth ! As a proud Nuvi user i am very satisfied with my unit. It also helps if people don't speed in the 1st place, isn't that called road safety and common sense.

I install the speed cam specs onto my Nuvi to alert me of speed camera locations, if i am approaching a camera which 40 mph and i am driving faster than that the Nuvi will bleep very constantly until i slow to the speed that i should be doing.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom Reply with quote

tetleyman wrote:
It also helps if people don't speed in the 1st place, isn't that called road safety and common sense.

tetleyman wrote:
Iif i am approaching a camera which 40 mph and i am driving faster than that the Nuvi will bleep very constantly

Question Confused 8)
tetleyman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
tetleyman wrote:
It also helps if people don't speed in the 1st place, isn't that called road safety and common sense.

tetleyman wrote:
Iif i am approaching a camera which 40 mph and i am driving faster than that the Nuvi will bleep very constantly

Question Confused 8)

Yep because that's what the Nuvi's are set up to do!!! That is a Garmin setting in the firmware, not that i go racing around on 2 wheels as it may of implied in my 1st quote, which you have highlighted.

Smile Exclamation
blackwellgraham
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if the tomtom misregisters the speed limit, ie the A3 heading towards Kingston where it thinks the dual carriageway is a 30mph limit, it makes it impossible to set the cruise control accurately to 50mph as you cant read the GPS speed.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly the issue should be that it should be optional. Personally I am capable of reading numbers on roadsigns so I know fine well what the speed limit is, I don't need TomTom to tell me about it, and more often than not get it completely wrong.

Most of the time when driving on fast roads I can't see the gps speed I'm doing because it's constantly flashing.. and TomTom saying you can just turn the speed off is of no use at all.

If they want to put an overspeed feature just put a red box around the current speed, even if it was just red text it wouldn't be so bad, it's the flashing which means whenever you look at the speed... it's not there!
harleybuell1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Red Flashing Reply with quote

Regarding the speed and speed limit display, it is inaccurate in many cases. Personally I prefer just to see the speed. To only give the option of "all or nothing" is poor. It would be far better to have the option to keep the old speed display or if it has to be, why can't the colour simply be flashing Yellow or something like?

Garry
mbriody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, straying back on topic....what we need is a patch to disable the speed check. A couple of no-ops inserted at the right place in the executable would fix this annoyance.

A few questions to get us started:

1. Anyone know what processor is used?
2. Is there a dissasembler available for this processor which runs on a PC?
3. Is the TomTom applicaton resident in ROM or loaded from a storage device?
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that or a patch to remove the speed limit data from the map files. I wonder if the speed limit data are held in a separate file?
Noman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY add a function like this when so many roads has got the wrong speed in the database.

WHY use RED color against a blue backround as a warning. Impossible for me to see and 7-8% of the male population are color blind (Hard to tell the differens in the red /green spectrum) (Tried it on a friend and he doesn't see the numbers at all!!!)

When Tomtom has grown they must have employed a lot of incompetent people.

I have mailed to Tomtom about this and some other issues and all I get is standard replies.

Who the xxxx do they listen to if not their customers????
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noman wrote:

Who the xxxx do they listen to if not their customers????

THAT'S the question I'd love to see them answer.

They have a loyal group of interested users (i.e the people who frequent the forums). In other words a "focus group" that any business should be desperate to seek opinions from, and yet we are totally ignored.

Whenever I have tried to suggest anything (new features, software modifications, anything) the replies I get (if at all) are never more than the standardised acknowedgement.
I so wish someone had been brave enough ask them some tough questions at the "meet" a few weeks back. A wasted opportunity, it seems. Crying or Very sad
DRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone made progress with this yet? I'm also colour blind, and can't see red against the blue background.

Would it do anything if we deleted TomTom's speed camera database?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the data for the speed limits is part of the map data.
It definitely needs a change in the operating software, which will only happen if TomTom themselves get enough complaints about it.
If anyone out there doesn't like it, please tell them so!
blackwellgraham
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inserting NOOPs (A NO OPeration is an instruction executed by a processor, that doesn't actually do anything other than occupy a single clock cycle. Therefore replacing a call to a subroutine by a series of NOOP instructions causes the program to in effect, to ignore what previously would have called a subroutine etc.)

It may work, or even an RTS at the right place. It depends if the OS does a checksum before it starts.

The OS is Linux I believe. Clever little device really, shame the TomTom application is so Shonky. Now, if only the TomTom software were Open Source too.

Happy to have a hack myself. Just need a hex editor and a memory address range. Must be able to decompile the code, depends how clever TomTom has been with pre-execution segment.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it! (whatever *it* is... Laughing )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: