Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - High speed SD card - what's the point?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

High speed SD card - what's the point?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: High speed SD card - what's the point? Reply with quote

I've just got a new SD card for my TomTom ONE so I have enough space to install the latest map update.

I decided to get a 'high speed' Kingston card (Elite Pro 50x) after reading suggestions on the forum that it's worth getting a faster card (plus the fact that it was only a couple of quid dearer than a normal card).

Is there really any point though? I've not noticed any difference. There's no improvement in the speed of looking up addresses, or finding locations on the map, or the speed at which the navigation view performs (although I guess that's more a factor of the processor inside the unit).

Is the benefit of getting a high speed card just a myth?
paulc1976
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no real difference, I bought a cheap 1gb sd card for £4.99 delivered from ebay & it works great on a Tomtom One V1.
I just bought a 2gb one for £8.99 delivered from the same seller, for my new Tomtom One V4 they're Samsung unbranded but work as fast as the Tomtom originals.
The 2 main factors for speed are processor and screen resolution, mostly resolution my old 910 seemed a lot less responsive on the menus
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: High speed SD card - what's the point? Reply with quote

voice_of_reason wrote:
Is the benefit of getting a high speed card just a myth?

No. The read speed is important when its actually following the route, esp when driving at higher road speeds.
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: High speed SD card - what's the point? Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:
No. The read speed is important when its actually following the route, esp when driving at higher road speeds.

Really? I can't honestly say that I can tell the difference, and I've been using the new high speed card for a little while now.

Like you say, I was expecting better performance in navigation view, because, to be honest, I find the screen update on my TomTom ONE v4 a little jerky - not terrible, but not great, especially when going round roundabouts - and that's without any POI's displayed. But it's still exactly the same with the new card.
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think above a certain card speed then you hit the other limitations of the device.
Its just that some normal/lowspeed cards may not work at all.
http://www.mytomtomgo.com/special_faq.php#77

http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=588
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a case of getting an SD Card that's not the slowest link in the chain. As long as it can keep up with the Processor everything will be OK.

If the Processort has to wait for the SD Card then you start to have problems.

The question of roundabounts was brought up HERE.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought my TomTom and Fast Read card, so have only used them a few times, but when I used my ViaMichelin, I bought a Normal card, and downloaded the single file speed camera database, and had the icons displayed, and audible warnings. When I was going somewhere, it would say "Turn right at next turning", and I had just driven past it, and had to turn round. It was sugested I switch off the icons, and just have the audible warnings, and this cured the slow directions. So I think a fast read card is better to update the display if you have a lot displayed, and will keep the verbal instructions ahead of where you are. As far as my ViaMichelin was concerned, the card just couldn't be read quickly enough.
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the info. And thanks for the link about roundabouts Richard. At least I know it's a common problem and there isn't anything wrong with my unit!

Overall I'm very pleased with my ONE. It may not be silky smooth in navigation mode, but ultimately it's about getting from 'A' to 'B' successfully when you don't know where 'B' is - and it does that perfectly, most importantly with voice instructions in plenty of time.
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just put a "standard" (i.e. not high-speed) 2Gb card into my One v4. Having read other posts regarding high-speed cards being the suggested option, I was a little unsure whether it would be fast enough - but based on the minimal use I've given it since installing the card I don't think it's a problem in the slightest.

Just after installing the card, I tried an experiement - I ran part of a short demo route using the SD card, then took it out and ran the same route using the internal memory. I couldn't appreciate any difference between the two.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"High speed" is like "How long is a piece of string" and is a relative thing.
What was high speed last month, can be "normal" this month, and "obsolete" next. :D
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree - a Kingston Elite Pro card will out perform many cards that are supposedly higher speed. You only have to look at benchmarking tests to see that a decent, branded card will read and write faster than a generic 'ultra high-speed' one. For example (I know this is for SDHC cards, but it proves the point that a Class 2 card can easily out-perform a Class 6 card):

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2094768,00.asp

It's also a factor of the device it's being used in. The 'best', fastest card in one device may not necessarily be the best in another device.

People's main complaint on these forums about performance of the TomTom ONE is related to the refresh rate when navigating - and in this case, I don't believe the speed or quality of the card makes a blind bit of difference.

Just my opinion though. Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said.
What I was trying to get across is that in the absence of any hard facts/specifications on most shopping websites, you are depending on the description or name on the card and any advertising blurb the company makes up or cut-and-pastes to fill up the space beside the picture.

They aren't ever going to say "medium speed", just as no detergent maker sells a "medium" box of soap powder. They start at "Giant" and go up from there. :D
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! Like you say, it's important not to be fooled by the ' ultra, hyper-sonic, faster than light speed' rubbish they put on the box. At the end of the day, if it works for you, and better still, if you think it makes a noticeable improvement, then stick with it.

Having said that , the Sandisk range notoriously under-perform against their claims (just trying to stir things now.... Wink )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: