Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Origin Technologies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Origin Technologies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westewoo wrote:
hi bbq. number 1+3 are in the pipeline, i cant comment about no.2, but if no 2. was to happen in the future, would you not find the false alarms anoying, as theres not always going to be a plod a the laser site, due to the number of sites vs. number of plods. and as we all know, the speed a laser gun can record your speed, its very difficult, to react that quick, unless your lucky enough to get scatter from the car in front of you?
how are you finding the voice on the unit? i personally think its still too quiet Smile

On the Pogo Alert there is
Quote:
On–Board laser detector (removable)

If we are to take your point on no.2 above westewoo, why then has Origin built a "laser detector" into the Pogo Alert? They state in the Pogo detection features that that differ from the Drive :

Quote:
Mobile Laser sites - Moble Hand Held Guns
High Risk Zones

Do the databases between the Drive and the Alert differ with regard to mobile sites? Presumably it must in some way. If the Alert is a detector with no jamming capability and no list of mobile sites included in its database, then its sole function must be to simply inform you that you have been targetted and NIP'ed. Are you not better off having sufficient warning that you are approaching a Mobile Site via an database alert so you can adjust your speed accordingly rather than having a detector that simply lets you know you have been targetted? Surely your point about reaction time must with or without a detector is just as applicable in either case. As with other menu options on the Alert or Drive you can choose to activate or deactivate.
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuttynurse wrote:
Hi westewoo,

No explanation from Origin as to why the 'Alert' is taking so much longer to develop than the 'Drive' is there? I still like to know why the smaller, single use device is taking so much longer to arrive on the shelves. Is it a different machine entirely? How much longer to their Pogo website is up and running?

WOULD I SHOOT THE MESSENGER ? Gun Shoot Out

Hi NN

The Alert may be taking longer to be released due to Origin waiting to find out how the Drive has gone down with users. OK, the Drive hasn't had the hugely successful start Origin had hoped for, but if I were to purchase 2 products designed to do the same thing from different companies, but one of these companies were going out of their way to satisfy their users with product support, enhancements and bug fixes (whilst the other company basically sat on their laurels and ignored their userbase completely) I know which one I would buy from!! (Does this ring any bells with ex-ds members??)

To be fair, Origin do monitor this forum for user comments, complaints and recommendations and appear to be reacting to suggestions and complaints extremely well. To have three firmware upgrades in as many weeks suggests to me that the Origin R&D department are continuing to make the Drive a better and better product to own and use. You can test a product until the cows come home, but the end user will always find a fault with it somewhere. At least Origin are responding (unlike some other companys out there).

BB
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BB,

Quote:
he Alert may be taking longer to be released due to Origin waiting to find out how the Drive has gone down with users. OK, the Drive hasn't had the hugely successful start Origin had hoped for, but if I were to purchase 2 products designed to do the same thing from different companies, but one of these companies were going out of their way to satisfy their users with product support, enhancements and bug fixes (whilst the other company basically sat on their laurels and ignored their userbase completely) I know which one I would buy from!! (Does this ring any bells with ex-ds members??)

Actually I would have thought the 'Alert' would have been the most obvious choice as the test bed for the new units given Origins former units i.e. the B2 and the likes, with the 'Drive' being the more experimental follow-up. Still as I say I know zilch about such matters.

Yes I am pleased to see Origin taking an interest in their product and the customers comments. I hope therefore that they will consider more fully the full inclusion of all forms of camera sites including Mobile and Redlight. I would like one comprehensive unit that I can use in my car rather than having to resort to two or three units just to cover the range of cameras out there. If you are listening to your potential customers Origin, then why are you restricting what cameras warnings you will allow you customers to have? In this respect Origin along with others unit makers don't seem to be listening to their customers. DS may have broken down, but whilst they were functioning there were no better team listening or communicating with their customers or clients. The DS team had their forum up and running with the DS unit and communicated directly with forum members. They also had the only fully comprehensive system to date. So far, Origin seem to be visiting this site for customer feedback whilst leaving their own Pogo dedicated site uncompleted. I don't actually think that buying a Pogo system, which is supposed to be the finished article, to then find that westewoo and others need to become guinea pigs whilst they try to fix all the bugs in it greatly encouraging.

I
Snoopydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone have any details on the availability and use of the 'Pogo Alert' yet?

Regards

Snoopydog
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Snoopydog,

I'm waiting to hear more news from westewoo and BB on how the updates are going. westewoo may have news re the Alert I guess.
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

This may be of interest to all you PogoDrive users out there - I had a call this afternoon from Dave at Origin basically asking for feedback on the PogoDrive unit. Obviously other people out there may not agree with my thoughts, or believe that the unit should not have shipped before it was ready, but I found this highly useful, and a testimont to Origins dedication and professionalism!!

Again I have re-interated the following:

1) Recalculation logic is poor and can be improved!
2) Inclusion of the mobile sites into the Origin360 database.

I also aired my troubles of getting a sat lock through the windscreen of my Mondeo (heated front windscreen) before I purchased a re-rad antenna.

So, all PogoDrive users - the PogoDrive *could* get as good as you want it to be!! Just make Origin aware of your issues.

BB
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BB,

Did Dave mention anything about the 'Alert'? I still wonder why this model is taking so much longer to reach the shelves when on the face of it it is the cheaper model with a single function, albeit with laser detection. What were his comments about the "inclusion of mobile sites"? Was there for example any commitment to including these at all, ever, or is it to remain an incomplete database system?
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NN

No, I didn't ask about the alert - I'm sure if you drop him an email he may be able to answer your question better than I can!

As for the Mobile sites, he didn't really say much about that. I'm hoping that if many users ask for the same, they will eventually include them!

It really was a feedback call more than a "when will..." call.

BB
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BB.
westewoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi gang sorry i hav'nt been in touch but i've been out of the country, but this is the latest i can tell you
Rumour has it Origin are working on the mobile camera sites and are improving the already collated mobile database, they did not want to use mobile sites until legislation changes. It would seem that as more and more customers want mobile locations so they may release it earlier (but no promises) - they dont want to compromise the accuracy of the current database. With regard to the Pogo Alert - It may be here one week next Friday
westewoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: pogo alerrt Reply with quote

hi gang i believe the first lot of pogo alerts have just been dispatched. who's got one? and what do you think? :D :D
sneeks
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying either the Alert or Drive, can't decide which I prefer.

I was swaying more towards the Alert due to the Mobile site alerts but if this only via the laser detection then it really is a waste of time. Can someone here confirm or deny if this is the situation?

I currently use a Talex Lite and for such a inexpensive unit it has a database that equals and, with the inclusion of mobile sites, surpasses that of my old Origin B2.

If Origin have plans to include a Mobile Sites database within the Drive then i'm 100% sure it would convince me that this was the unit for me.

Alternatively if the Alert is database driven and not reliant on the Laser Detection then this would also be a huge plus.

If Origin read these comments then it would be great to have some feedback?

Thanks

Richard
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello sneeks,

I had a Pogo Drive just after they came out and whilst on first impressions I liked the unit I became increasingly unimpressed with the navigation side of it. There were several times when it failed to start-up, often when trying to set a journey the thing froze. Once the unit had calculated the trip from A 2 B it did every thing in its power to prevent you taking a detour and always re-routed you back to its original route if it could, even if that meant adding 10 miles onto its shortest and fastest option for you, and I don't think it could have heard of a B road ever. Instructions could come very late, leaving you to brake sharply if you didn't want to miss the turn and I found at several junctions the priority was wrong. 'Stella' (the voice) sounded very attractive, however unless you had a sound proof vehicle she became increasingly drowned out at speed 50+ virtually impossible to hear her at all. On the positive side: the 3.5 screen was good though it was impaired in strong sunlight. The camera database side of the unit was generally accurate but not entirely reliable. though visually and audibly the display and warning beeps were very good, best I have come across, though I only had the "Drive-Smart" before and am currently back to using this with the pocketgpsworld database after returning my unit for a refund.

Seemingly Origin have been monitoring this site being interested in the comments made about the Pogo Drive and they have released several updates for the Drive but I am still unclear whether this has improved matters or not. 'westewoo or 'BBQKing' on this thread have continued to persevere with their units so would be better people to comment here. The "Pogo Alert" has eventually made it to the shelves, never understood why this model took longer and the question has never been answered. I have been waiting to hear from people who have bought this one before I consider forking out £250. I have also been interested in the positive comments re the 'Talex Lite' as this is so much cheaper and + I would also like to see more feedback on the 'Cheetah".

Hope you will find this comments at least helpful in reaching a decision.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst we'd love to test both of their new units, surprisingly Origin have not even bothered to acknowledge our requests let alone offer a review unit. Now there could be a great many reasons for this but you can't help wondering Confused
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

Some time back when I was in the process of returning my Pogo Drive, I was asked by the supplier to speak to someone from Origin before doing so which I did, I think his name was Andy? Dave was seemingly on holiday. Anyway when I spoke to him I mentioned the discussion going on at Pocketworld re the 'Drive' and also that you were getting no response to getting a unit to review. He expressed his surprised to hear that you were having difficulty getting hold of them and said he was unaware of the Origin thread going on here and would look in at the site. It seems from 'westewoo's' replies that they have been monitoring the discussion, though seemingly they have been less than willing to address any comments directly. So both from your own efforts and knowing that I spoke to them also regarding this matter, I can only conclude that they are unwilling to allow a more detailed review of the 'Alert' or 'Drive' until a least they have ironed out the bugs the Drive at least was presenting. One good reason why I didn't order the 'Alert' prematurely this time. Never did understand why the 'Alert' took so much longer to arrive.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: