Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - T-Mobile MDA Vario II (HTC Hermes / TyTN) & TTNAV 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

T-Mobile MDA Vario II (HTC Hermes / TyTN) & TTNAV 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chipfork
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: T-Mobile MDA Vario II (HTC Hermes / TyTN) & TTNAV 6 Reply with quote

I've just installed TTNAV 6 on my T-Mobile MDA Vario II (HTC Hermes / TyTN). I've installed the updated TomTom Application which although not specifically aimed at this device, seems to be aimed at similar devices on the compatibility list. I've got my Holux GPSlim 236 receiver paired and working but have not tested this in anger as yet.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone else using this combination of hardware and software, how it performs and if there are any tips?

Someone with a similar setup said to expect lockups. I've also signed up to the 1 month trial of traffic too so will be interested to see how this performs. I'm on a Web'n'Walk+ plan so the GPRS usage isn't a problem. I'd also like to pair the phone with my bluetooth car kit but I'm not sure how this will perform.

Thanks. Wink
chipfork
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've answered my own question.

On a 2+ hour journey this morning it locked up a number of times. Started well and didn't miss a beat for about the first 30-40 mins. Then it froze, however I did manage to get it back to life by quickly pressing the power button. The app was still running and did recover although for some reason the device had switched back to portrait mode. Locked two or three more times, each time it would come back to life then finally it locked for good and only hitting the reset button would bring the device back to life.

I have had similar lockups (not so many though) on my iPAQ hx4700 which proves a point, I shouldn't have bought TomTom for a device that isn't on the compatibility list. Embarassed

A shame as the screen, sound and functionality are more than adequate and proved that I'd ditch the PDA and use the Vario II instead.

I don't suppose the software can be deactivated and the licences made available again, then I could sell the software on? I'm going to take a look at CoPilot as T-Mobile did have an option to bundle it with the phone, wish I'd taken that to start with - one for another forum.
davast
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chipfork - I have used TTN V6.01 with my MDA Vario ll since last year, always in portrait mode. I find that if I reset once a day (via spb backup) that it hardly ever locks up. On the odd occasion when it does, I just press the bottom right "OK" button and then press the left soft button which is mapped to TTN6. This clears the memory problem and keeps the routing up to date. I normally have 20mb of storage memory & 31mb of program memory free, although the program memory can reduce to 22mb if I let it.

Resist the temptation to put on v6.03 and it should work OK

The Traffic works well & with the Web'n'Walk option it is a doddle.
chipfork
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davast - thanks for that, I'm going to persevere with TomTom on the Vario II as when it's working it's proved a really viable alternative to using it on the PDA.

I'll certainly follow suit with the soft-key config and the recovery approach. I have tried using the end-call button and that worked. I initially tried landscape mode and when it recovered it jumped back to portrait anyway so may stick with that.

I tried 6.030 but have reverted to 6.010, I've not tested either in anger to get a real comparison but neither seem any less prone to lock-ups.

I did have the occasional lock-up on my hx4700 (again unsupported as yet) so it did leave me to question the GPS (Holux GPSlim 236) or other common factor. I also wondered whether the 2GB Sandisk Ultra II microSD card could be a factor, if I get time and the inclination I may try another card and some different configurations to see which performs best.

I've not seen any traffic warnings, I assume if the traffic symbol is blank I've not got a data connection, I take it I need to enable GPRS/3G before I start TomTom? I must have done this at some point as at least a couple of times I've seen a car symbol or similar on the traffic sidebar.
chipfork
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AN UPDATE.

Well TTNAV6 didn't get any better, I'd reset before setting off but it would freeze half an hour into the journey then increasingly more often from then onwards.

However I've found a solution, I've tested it on two 3 hour trips and it has been as solid as a rock. It's also noticeable that the position on the map is being updated far quicker than before.

The solution was a little drastic.......an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6. It's improved the performance of the phone no end and certainly made TomTom 6 a practical option on the Vario II.

Not something to be taken likely and there are a few steps to follow. If anyone needs a bit more information then feel free to PM me or check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=355
dannyoneill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like the rom t-mobile use is flawed, provider roms tend to be full of rubbish. the wifes Vario I has loads of stuff loading up in memory and leaves only a few meg to work with whilst my HTC Prophet has over 15mb to play with.

Custom roms are the wya to go, gets rid of all the rubbish. Mobile 6 is a major step though and although I love new stuff WM6 is too new for me.

HTC will be releasing official roms soon so will no doubt just use one of them.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to use and htc rom youll need to unlock the phone from the network and also cid unlock it also you could in valitdate and warrentry on the phone

not that im against using custom roms but just a warning that i it does go wrong the operator may not uphold any warrenty

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
chipfork
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
to use and htc rom youll need to unlock the phone from the network and also cid unlock it also you could in valitdate and warrentry on the phone

not that im against using custom roms but just a warning that i it does go wrong the operator may not uphold any warrenty

As I said it's not a step to be taken lightly and the implications with regards the warranty, software licence and the potential to turn your phone into a brick all need to be taken into consideration.

What's interesting is how and why TTNAV6 performs perfectly well on WM6 and so poorly on WM5. The optimised ROM and extra memory make a significant difference.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see here for M3100 users.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=55801
Holux GPSslim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: