Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Multi-Stop Routes - Working Out Quickest Way
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Multi-Stop Routes - Working Out Quickest Way

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Multi-Stop Routes - Working Out Quickest Way Reply with quote

Hello everyone :D

Is it possible with TomTom (or any other GPS navigation program) to enter the addresses of all your intended stops, then it will work out the shortest or quickest route to get round all of them?

For example, a delivery driver has a list of many drop-off points in a town, so he might want to enter all the addresses, then have them arranged into an efficient route for all the deliveries.

Mike
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not directly. Some do it using microsoft autoroute and convert the file to tomtom format using some free software. Others create a POI category on the tomtom with all their destinations entered as POI's. They can then find the nearest POI at each stop but it isn't really the same as an optimised route.

It seems it's about time tomtom and others added this feature although they are not known for acting on suggestions from users; they prefer to do their own thing.

I'm not a delivery driver but I could have done with this feature myself; it would be handy when house hunting!
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply :D

I agree that it would be a good feature - and surely not too difficult for TomTom to implement.

My question arose during a conversation with one of my friends who is a courier. These units are very popular with couriers, so I'm sure a lot of people would make good use of the proposed feature.

Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Multi-Stop Routes - Working Out Quickest Way Reply with quote

Durotriges wrote:
For example, a delivery driver has a list of many drop-off points in a town, so he might want to enter all the addresses, then have them arranged into an efficient route for all the deliveries.

Sounds good doesn't it. Certainly I used to think so. But as a whitevanman (no longer doing that type of multi-drop) let me offer a couple ...
1. There are so many posts about Satnavs not knowing about no right turns etc, that it would be unreliable. Just one wrong direction could wreck the whole plan.
2. You'll find that most multi-drop drivers are set to a certain area and very quickly get to know that area so well they can beat any computer program at that game.
3. For widespread rural optimising, you can probably do just as good a job by eyeball.

To be honest, I have now concluded that a pencil and paper and a map/atlas are probably as good. Having said which, back when I did occasional relief work on multi-drop, I sometimes used Autoroute on a laptop to do precisely that, better than guessing in an unfamiliar area.
Stanley_Tweedle is right, of course. You can do it with Autoroute then use something I think called ITNConvert, to convert it to an itinerary to copy into your Tom Tom. Problem here for a delivery driver is he gets all his parcels and the boss wants him out on the road pronto, not sitting for a while messing with computers and stuff!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: