Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go Classic - map of Western Europe - I'm confused!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go Classic - map of Western Europe - I'm confused!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
finisterre
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Go Classic - map of Western Europe - I'm confused! Reply with quote

I'm trying to update my father-in-law's Go Classic.

When he bought it (2004?) he bought the UK version (v390 maps) and then bought a 4 CD set of the rest of Europe (v398 maps) for about £100.

In those days the Major Roads of Europe map was great for travelling main roads in between European countries, but no so good (lack of detail) for door to door trips in specific countries - so he would always use the individual country maps wherever possible.

I'm now looking to upgrade his maps, but TomTom don't seem to sell an equivalent set of Europe anymore. They just have the "Map of Western Europe" (1GB) for 99 euros, and all the individual countries. To buy what he had before would now cost over 600 Euros.

Can it really be that the single map of Western Europe now has as much detail as all the old individual country maps combined?

I'm confused!

Cheers.

Fred.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that when I had a Classic, progressing through the Map changes.

To me the last Western Europe Map I had, (660:1219) was better than the older Maps. I think the non-road detail had been compressed, but I wasn't intending to drive off-road. ;)

The latest Western Europe Map would be V675, which I didn't have, and there's been quite a lot of discussion about the amount, or not, of detail compared to the previous Maps.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map of Western and Central Europe seems to have a bit more detail then the smaller Western Europe. Buy either and you will have one map of Western Europe in detail, no map swapping at borders.

The individual country maps now include the major roads of the rest of western Europe.

Getting any of these will require a larger SD card than the original that came with your machine. A 2GB one in the case of the detailed W&CE map. I would think that the better detail on this would make it a better buy than the Western Europe map which seems to have been "trimmed" to fit on a 1GB card...
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
finisterre
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I would get the Western & CENTRAL Europe map, but on the maps page , when you specify that you have a Go Classic, it isn't given as an option. So TomTom are suggesting that it doesn't work on the Go Classic.

Can anyone confirm or deny this map will work with the Classic? I have a 2GB SD card.

Thanks.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only shows for the 910, as this was the only Device that it was originally supplied for.

The Classic can see a 2GB card with no problem, so should be able to handle the bigger map.

The only thing is the 1.7GB download, which is nearly twice the size of the 900+ of the Western Europe.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: