Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom or Navman?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom or Navman?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Tomtom or Navman? Reply with quote

Hi - excellent site! I've read the forums but still would like help on this please...

I was just about to buy TT (over Navman) because 1) Checkpoint and 2) TTFN although Navman has Euro maps.

BUT apparently Checkpoint gives too many false positives to be really useful (true?) and I'm not sure if TTFN is really that much better with the Leadtek vs the Navman so now I'm not sure whether to opt for Navman because of the Euro maps.

There's also the issue of being lumbered with the older and larger 3900 series ipaq with the Navman unless I go bluetooth but bluetooth seems annoying if you have to keep changing batteries (and TTFN still isn't as good as Tomtom cable).

Can anyone help me make up my mind please???
i.e. can anyone convince me that Checkpiont is actually useable, TTFNs are actually better, or bluetooth and navman is really the way to go ...

THANKS!! Smile
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a TTFN?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
sk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's me going crazy doing multiple identical typos - sorry I meant TTFF! Smile
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not use TTFF as a criterion any more. Nowadays most all the receivers use SiRF II (e/LP) chipsets, so the TTFF is the same for all of them. And when you talk about TomTom and Navman you will also have to be careful. Both companies offer GPS receivers as well as routing software, and nowadays these are independent. For example you can run TomTom software connected to a Navman GPS receiver and vice versa. They come bundled, but you can also purchase them separately.

So - is your problem more on the software side or more on th ehardware side?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tomtom or Navman? Reply with quote

sk wrote:
apparently Checkpoint gives too many false positives to be really useful (true?)

CheckPOInt is a good plug-in for TTNav. Your use of the phrase "false positives" leads me to think that you wish to use the PocketGPS World camera database, which is fairly accurate especially when you consider that it's free. Thumbs Up Or are you referring to other POIs? Question

Yes I can definitely recommend CheckPOInt, but I would suggest that you use version 2.0.2 (downloadable from this site) rather than version 3.2. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
sk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lbendlin - so 1) do you really mean that a Leadtek 9532 with Sirfstar II etc performs identically to cheap Haicomm or generic version??? I was under the impression that the 9532 is the best out there, 2) I can buy a 9532 and smartst pro v2 and they will work just as fine with eacother as TTNav package does?

Cheers Privateer - yes I did mean the speed camera stuff - I tried a friend's new one and we were getting alarms when there were no cameras and sometimes theyd be a little early or late. I was thinking that would annoy me and I'd end up not relying on it much and not using it. However, he only just got it so maybe he's using the 3.2 or something...
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SK,

Has your friend got the latest camera database (24th January 2004)?

Could your friend, and you when you install CheckPOInt and the camera database, make a note of the incorrect camera ids and then send an email to Darren (cameras@pocketgpsworld.com) with the new details and coordinates? As this will help all of us. 8-) Here’s how I send details to Darren:

Cameras to remove (i.e. duplicates and/or which no longer exist)
GATSO: 385; 386; 2460. These three are all duplicates of a single camera position (A34: Weston on the Green) that was removed November 2002.

GATSO: 383. This is a less accurate duplicate of GATSO 2459. Road is A4165 Banbury Road.

GATSO: 1097. This is a less accurate duplicate of GATSO 2458. Road is B480 Watlington Road.

Cameras to move
None

Cameras to add
-0.83060, 51.61737, "GATSO 30mph: Lane End (near High Wycombe), SU 81060 91596"

Most people use CheckPOInt 2.0.2, as it’s easier to record camera locations than version 3.2.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
sk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert, sure I will - if I get one. But that depends on whether the database is useable i.e. if this is a common problem (multiple entries etc) then I could see myself not using it at all so I may as well get European maps with the Navman instead for the same price.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SK,

What part of the country are you based? As you’ve not specified a location in your profile.

I find that the camera database is useable in all of the areas that I’ve traveled, certainly in Oxfordshire where I’m based. When I first became aware of this site I sent Darren a list of all of the camera locations that I knew about in Oxfordshire and the surrounding area, as my girlfriend and I had already “surveyed” the location of over 100 sites for my own newsletter. Darren already had the details of most of them but my list helped him to fill in the gaps.

The multiple entries are not such a problem as Darren has spent a lot of time correcting the database.

I also use a Morpheous Geodesy, which as you know is a commercial GPS detector. I’ve found that the PocketGPS database is pretty close to the accuracy of the commercial database.

The database is available for anybody to download and use, and hopefully they’ll send updates back to Darren to make the changes and thus continue to keep the accuracy of the database.

I’ve not used Navman so I can’t comment on that. I like TomTom and CheckPOInt so I shall carry on using them. One thing however is that Navman now use Tele Atlas data, which is the data that TomTom has used for some time. Therefore the maps should have the same accuracy and information. So you’re down to choosing the interface offered and not the map data.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
sk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A further question, lbendlin - I've read the Holux GM-210 and the 9532 reviews and looked at your excellent TTFF charts and yes as you say SIRF II perform similarly for cold, but I notice that the 9532 does 9s warm compared to I think 30s for the Holux, so there does seem to be a difference despite the same chipset. It still seems thatnothing as yet beats 9532?
sk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert, I think I missed your reply whilst I was making another post!

I live in Reading and commute to Winchester and travel regularly to London and Oxford. I'll generally be going round the south of England although sometimes I may venture up north.

Thank you for telling me it's almost as good as the Morpheus. I had a very budget snooper once and I got rid of almost straight away because of the number of false positives: it cried wolf too often. That's what I'm worried about with Checkpoint. Basically would you say it's useful enough to keep on all the time without it getting on your nerves - is it more than a gimmick? (Obviusly it won't have everything in so I can't drive around without being on the lookout at all.)

And would you consider getting rid of your Morpheus and relying on Checkpoint?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I’ve also found that it’s all too easy to miss replies, when I’m composing a post – no worries! ;-)

I used to have a Snooper 815iS radar detector, but like you I got a lot of false positives. I then upgraded to a Bel Euro 550 radar detector and the Morpheous Geodesy. The Bel does give a few false positives but nothing as bad as the old Snooper. Thumbs Up

On short journeys I tend not to run anything. But on longer journeys I always run the Bel and the Geodesy with TTNav and CheckPOInt and I can honestly say that it’s very rare that any of them (even when they are all notifying together) get on my nerves. No I don’t think any of them are a gimmick – I actually think that they complement each other as I always find it interesting to find which of the radar equipped GATSOs are active. Yes, they (CheckPOInt and the database) are useful enough to keep on all of the time. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

The great thing about this database is that you not only know who does the database, i.e. Darren, but you’re also able to communicate directly with him. So when you do find a discrepancy (i.e. new, moved, or removed camera) you know that the changes that you have identified will be in the next version of the database, as long as you send it in a few days before the next release. This gives me a lot of confidence in the product. Wink

Funnily enough, my renewal for the Geodesy has just arrived. It costs £30 plus VAT (£35.25). I will probably renew as the original cost of the unit would be wasted and I tend to subscribe to the “Belt & Braces” philosophy. However if the renewal was more expensive, or if I didn’t have any additional GPS detectors then I would be happy enough to just use the database. :D

At the end of the day, if you intend to speed all of the time you will get caught. You have to be lucky all of the time, whilst the police only have to be lucky once in a while. There are many ways of getting caught speeding that you can’t detect with electronic equipment, e.g. unmarked or even marked police cars, etc.. However, if you use the equipment as an occasional gentle reminder then it becomes more effective. 8)

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
sk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert. Of course, I never go above the speed limit. I just want to make sure I know where all the danger spots are so I can drive even more carefully ;)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: