Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FM Modulator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FM Modulator
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will not pick up RDS information if using an FM transmitter as you tune the radio to a frequency matching the mount transmitter.
You can use an RDS-TMC receiver with the FM mount, reception is still the same as always in the UK, flaky is an understatement to be honest - Mike
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

If you Google around looking at user experience of FM transmitters you will find many more people with problems than eulogies.

A short time ago I tried a similar device with my home laptop, in an attempt to transmit music to nearby FM radios and it was pretty useless. You can get an FM transmitter that will work, but it needs to be far more powerful than is legal in the UK.

An additional problem with using FM in a car is that the signal needs to reach the aerial. My aerial is on the rear fender. Forget about the signal being picked up by the lead from the aerial to the car radio as these are deliberately designed NOT to pick up stray signals from the car ignition, etc.

What I have done, so I can use my Zen MP3 player in the car, is to buy a Sony cassette feeder. It cost a bit over a tenner and it works perfectly. You could use that with you TT I am sure. (And before anyone asks why I bought a Zen and don't use my 910 for music, the answer is that the 910 does not recognise my Napster WMA files)

Tony
peteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You will not pick up RDS information if using an FM transmitter as you tune the radio to a frequency matching the mount transmitter.
You can use an RDS-TMC receiver with the FM mount, reception is still the same as always in the UK, flaky is an understatement to be honest - Mike

Thank you, Mike. That tells me enough for me to know I don't need one!
Peter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: