Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FM Modulator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FM Modulator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xplayer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: FM Modulator Reply with quote

What is the best recommended method for playing tom tom over car stereo? Any specific modulator anyone can suggest?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is one of the Go-x10 devices then the TomTom FM transmitter mount is the easieat method, for a One or earlier Go type device either look at FM transmitters or Injection units, have a read through my post in This Thread which details a number options, different device, but the principle is the same - Mike
justinh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the TomTom FM Transmitter lacks power.

I can't get a clean interference free signal on my car radio
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot will depend on location, certain areas of the UK exist where it is difficult to find a free radio frequecy, for example London is bad.
Otherwise it could be the car, aerial or receiver that is at fault, I use a high quality amplified aerial in my day to day vehicle with no problems, I have noted a couple of problems in certain new hire cars from time to time though, when using the FM mount (Saab and Vauxhall).
You could consider some of the other options from the post I linked to earlier this morning. BT is great for quality but costly, the Injection box is probably the most cost effective though in terms of quality vs cost, and the simple aux input hardwired (where available) is the cheapest - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: FM Modulator Reply with quote

xplayer wrote:
What is the best recommended method for playing tom tom over car stereo? Any specific modulator anyone can suggest?

What TomTom do you have? There is also a Bluetooth Stereo interface option for the x10's.
UK2007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is also a Bluetooth Stereo interface option for the x10's.

how does that help top play mp3 over car radio? does the radio need bluetooth on it? Question
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment you would require a Bluetooth equipped car stereo, these are quite costly. TomTom had an accessory listed (until recently) that used Bluetooth to connect to your stereo called the Car Connect, it has never been listed with a price or an availability date, recently it appears (or rather disappears) to have been removed from their web site - well I can't find it - Mike
xplayer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: FM Modulator Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
xplayer wrote:

What TomTom do you have? There is also a Bluetooth Stereo interface option for the x10's.
I have the 910
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which case you can use the Bluetooth option IF you have a stereo that is equipped for BT audio. I would consider the FM transmitter mount, its neat, involves no extra wiring etc. Have you had a read of the thread I linked to in my original reply Rolling Eyes that gives you a few options all of which will work with a 910.

I have used the following with my 910
1/ Direct wired to Aux input - Works very well and most cost effective, consider a ground loop isolator if interference.

2/ FM Transmitter - fiddly to change frequency on the device when driving, otherwise works very well.

3/ FM Transmitter Mount - Much easier to use when driving as control is integrated with the x10 device.

4/ Bluetooth Audio Output - The best in terms of audio quality, but also the most costly unless your stereo is already equipped to use this. - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK2007 wrote:
Quote:
There is also a Bluetooth Stereo interface option for the x10's.

how does that help top play mp3 over car radio? does the radio need bluetooth on it? Question

As Mike has now clarified, it would appear that this option has been shelved. It was an interface that connected to the rear of a car stereo giving it a Bluetooth option.
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please bear in mind just how these devices work ... they are mini FM TRANSMITTERS that are picked up by your car radio AERIAL just like a normal radio station.

The position and power are critical, and many folks don't understand this.

1. Placing the FM transmitter close to the radio is totally pointless. The aerial lead on most car radio systems is a screened co-ax just to avoid interference.

2. There are many different aerial installations, I will cover a few just to give the idea .. you need to know how YOUR car is setup. Please remember the 3 most basic facts .. FM is line-of site (positioning), the power allowed for these devices is 50nW ERP (best range 1-2 meters), and the allowable "scatter" of the selected frquency is 75 KHz ( allows interference from several sources especially if YOUR transmitter is not "seen").

a. Front wing mounted aerials; often not "viewable" by the transmitter due to positioning. Athermic windscreens will greatly reduce signal strength, probaly to an unuseable level.

b. Rear wing mounted aerials; also affected by positioning, and the range now is often quite large.

c. Heated Rear Screen units; both positioning and range can be a problem if the transmitter is set low near a front ashtray (where the power socket usually is)

d. Roof mounted aerials; these should have the best "view", however the signal has to get through the roof, and FM does not go through metal well !!

Please think about the above and position your transmiitter in such a position that it has a direct line-of-sight view of your aerial, and is about 1-2 meters from it ( the regulations allow up to 10 meters .. but don't bank on that !!). Remember .. if the aerial can't see YOUR transmitter it will try and use the best signal from any other transmitter.

Hope this helps.

Smile
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having heard that more people are finding problems with using the FM route I'm looking at getting one of those devices that feed into the cassette socket on my car radio.

Any comments, friends?

Tony
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the FM mount in my 2005 Ford Focus with the standard radio (6000 i think) fitted to the GHIA and it works great tuned to 87.9 in Cheshire which is pretty flat so if you were going to get problems with interference you'd get it here. I also don't have any problems with feedback from ground loops issues.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Tomtom FM Transmitter with the 910 and a bluetooth enabled car stereo. I've found the audio quality to be typicly that of any FM sound device and clearly comparable to the quality recived from national radio stations, all be it perhaps slightly quieter. Very easy to configure, and a nice secure mounting. I have to say I've never tried to use the bluetooth (Go) to bluetooth (car) option as I have my Go and mobile paired for traffic info etc. and my car stereo and mobile paired for handsfree calling at the same time with the one mobile which is great.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
peteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: FM Mount: does it support RDS interruptions? Reply with quote

This new TomTom FM mount seems like a neat idea! But does it support RDS interruptions for traffic news? If not, I'd be very unhappy using it.

Also, will this mount allow the TMC traffic receiver to be used at the same time? And what is the general view now on whether these things work in UK? I know it was very flaky initially!

thanks
Peter Ward

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: