Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman ICN520 satellite connection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman ICN520 satellite connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
armanaptra
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Navman ICN520 satellite connection Reply with quote

I am having increasing problems when first trying to connect to satellites first thing. On some occasions it can take 45 mins to get a signal, this is out in the open. I have used TomTom and this connects straight away with a much stronger signal too. Can anyone advise me as to why my Navman ICN520 is so bad?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman ICN520 satellite connection Reply with quote

armanaptra wrote:
I am having increasing problems when first trying to connect to satellites first thing. On some occasions it can take 45 mins to get a signal, this is out in the open. I have used TomTom and this connects straight away with a much stronger signal too. Can anyone advise me as to why my Navman ICN520 is so bad?

Do you try to get a fix after setting a route, if so try it without. Do you start travelling after powering up and before getting a fix, if yes, this can affect acquisition. Finally, how do you power off your Navman? If with the Battery switch on the back, then it will take longer to get an asquisition than if you merely power off with the switch on the front of the device. Similarly, if you remove the SD card and reload it, it will take longer to get the next acquisition.

What software version are you using?

GeePee
armanaptra
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: navman connection problems Reply with quote

hi gee pee yes I enter the route then place it into the bracket. I have to start my journey after powering up otherwise id be stood there for 30+ mins. I have even turned it on while in really open ares and still no connection. I turn it off using the on off button top right. I have SmartST 2005 with maps for Europe 2004.2
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: navman connection problems Reply with quote

armanaptra wrote:
hi gee pee (1) yes I enter the route then place it into the bracket.
(2)I have to start my journey after powering up otherwise id be stood there for 30+ mins.
(3)I have even turned it on while in really open ares and still no connection.
(4)I turn it off using the on off button top right. I have SmartST 2005 with maps for Europe 2004.2

(1) Previous posts have suggested that by entereing the route then waiting for the acquisistion does delay getting a fix. Try putting the device into its bracket, then switching on and wait for the fix, then enter the route. You could do this when you are not in a hurry to test it.
(2) Ok, test my (1) theory when you havew the time.
(3) And have you already programmed a route?
(4) Ok, so its not the software and I presume you do not have an athermic windscreen in your car?

It seems to be that once one have attained a regular fix from your home base, then it will become much quicker to get a fix. So try my theory (NO route 'till you gt the fix) for a few times and see if it helps....
Probably it is not the windscreen 'cos you said you have a TomTom which does get a quick fix. Otherwise, I don't know Crying or Very sad
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be perfectly honest just sounds faulty to me!

My old navman is quicker than that, even when moving.
Hope you still have warrenty. Confused

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A possable test would be an external GPS ariel from somewhere like maplins. About £30. This could test if the device reciever is developing a fault.

Only if you can justify the outlay?

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
A possable test would be an external GPS ariel from somewhere like maplins. About £30. This could test if the device reciever is developing a fault.

Only if you can justify the outlay?

There's plenty on Ebay for about £9 incl P & P see HERE
I think you need a MMcx connector if you go down that route.
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I has one of those to fix on my old road angel 2, work like a treat for sort weather, raining, black cloud, night time, etc etc, very good. Driving

Very cheaper price better that Navman website. Clap

Supreme Angel Happy Easter Everybody's Supreme Angel
KWC77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Navman ICN520 satellite connection Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Finally, how do you power off your Navman? If with the Battery switch on the back, then it will take longer to get an asquisition than if you merely power off with the switch on the front of the device. Similarly, if you remove the SD card and reload it, it will take longer to get the next acquisition.

Is there any scientific explanation for the above? Does this also apply to devices from other manufacturers? I'm inclined to agree and it certainly 'feels' quicker for the damn unit to acquire a fix from my observations. On a side note, I had borrowed a TT1(V2) for some objective testing in the past and it acquired a GPS fix and worked pretty much straightaway as soon as the unit was powered on with no messing about, fiddling with switches and controls in the car while waiting for the 520 to 'boot up'. Just my 2p.

In addition, is the eBay external antenna adhesive? Do you stick the square receiver bit on the windscreen also or on the dash? Thanks in advance.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Magmount Aerial Reply with quote

No it is not adhesive, it is magnetic. Sticks firmly to anything with steel in it!

And, you should use the magmount aerial instead of, not as well as the Navman aerial that came with the T1. If you do use the T1 Navman aerial - the strip aerial with the velcro stickers, then follow the instructions and stick it on the windscreen vertically to one side or behind the rv mirror. Then run the connecting aerial cable in a straight line between the necessary corners and finally connect it to the T1.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: