Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New C710 Updates available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New C710 Updates available
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ticklepin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: New C710 Updates available Reply with quote

I see that the Mio updater has new offerings; is anyone brave enough to try them and report back?
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New C710 Updates available Reply with quote

ticklepin wrote:
I see that the Mio updater has new offerings; is anyone brave enough to try them and report back?

No way. :-(
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New C710 Updates available Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
ticklepin wrote:

Oh well, I tried it - the usual problems: HTTP exceptions and all that. Still, it almost got to the end without a problem.

If Mitac was a horse it would have been shot by now.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New C710 Updates available Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
Retty wrote:
ticklepin wrote:

Oh well, I tried it - the usual problems: HTTP exceptions and all that. Still, it almost got to the end without a problem.

Btw, I can't see any difference in terms of end result - the version still reads March 14 and there's no obvious difference in terms of Miomap either.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New C710 Updates available Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
Retty wrote:
Retty wrote:
ticklepin wrote:

Btw, I can't see any difference in terms of end result - the version still reads March 14 and there's no obvious difference in terms of Miomap either.

Some of the 7 digit postcode searching is broken - try for example GU16 9U* and you'll be greeted with the picklist screen before you can enter the last digit. There seem to be other examples of this although it doesn't affect all postcodes.
ticklepin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: new C710 updates Reply with quote

Thanks, Retty.
This is just what I feared.
Any advantages found yet?
Many thanks for your courage!
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: new C710 updates Reply with quote

ticklepin wrote:
Thanks, Retty.

I haven't found any advantages yet - the version date is being reported as March 14 which, iirc, is the same date as the previous update version. Can anyone confirm this?

The Http exception error cropped up towards the end of the update process (with only one of the voice files). I don't know if this messed up the update process but when I tried to restart the process the file that had given the error seemed to be loaded as normal and then the process continued as normal.

In any case none of the changes if there are any are obvious. All of the voice files have changed which suggests that there may be changes to some of the instructions. I haven't noticed any yet.

The only possible change I can identify is that the unit is now less willing to place me off known roads - for example in unmapped car parks - than previously. Yesterday I turned the Mio on in a car park which was about 100 yards from the road which the Mio then placed me on (the road was actually unreachable from where I was without a 1/4 mile journey). It was only when I started to move that the unit then placed me nearer to an accessible road but still not in the place where I was. I can replicate this.

I'm still getting geographical specific reboots - in 1 area when using a half mile or so stretch of 1 road. This apparently suggests a problem with the O/S (as Mitac acknowledged in relation to a similar problem with the 168 when the offered a core update).

The TMC traffic flow problems still exist - I *will* carry a camera in my car to illustrate it (the mobile phone camera isn't good enough to capture it). Yesterday for example I saw 2 reports current at the same time citing lanes closed on the M4 from 1) London to Slough and 2) Slough to London - the second traffic flow information line (the detailed one) was identical in each report in terms of traffic flow direction despite the fact that the first lines clearly related to different incidents or to different flow directions. This suggests that the problem also relates to journalistic information and not just to information obtained by raw data mining. Of course with journalistic information it's possible that the original human created reports were simply incorrect and that the unit just dutifully displayed the incorrect reports.

So the bugs certainly don't seem to have been fixed. But can anyone confirm that the postcode "bug" I mentioned didn't occur with the previous Miomap version? I vaguely remember coming across something similar before but only the first time I entered the problem postcode - after that the Mio gave me the option to select it not from a greyed out 7th digit picklist but as a full 7 digit postcode.

Anyway, the recent update doesn't seem to be more stable and doesn't fix some of the more obvious bugs.
ticklepin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: new C710 updates Reply with quote

Retty,
Thank you for your observations.
Unfortunately I also updated my C710 so cannot make a comparison with the postcode difficulty.

I updated at 09:00 on Friday and had a perfectly clean install.

I have not yet been on any extended journeys so cannot report from my own navigational experience.
As soon as I notice anything unusual I will be sure to let you know!
Teece
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: new C710 updates Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
ticklepin wrote:
Thanks, Retty.

The only possible change I can identify is that the unit is now less willing to place me off known roads - for example in unmapped car parks - than previously. Yesterday I turned the Mio on in a car park which was about 100 yards from the road which the Mio then placed me on (the road was actually unreachable from where I was without a 1/4 mile journey). It was only when I started to move that the unit then placed me nearer to an accessible road but still not in the place where I was. I can replicate this.

So the bugs certainly don't seem to have been fixed. But can anyone confirm that the postcode "bug" I mentioned didn't occur with the previous Miomap version? I vaguely remember coming across something similar before but only the first time I entered the problem postcode - after that the Mio gave me the option to select it not from a greyed out 7th digit picklist but as a full 7 digit postcode.

I can confirm I have had a similar situation with unmapped car parks after updating to the latest software a couple of days ago.

I have rolled back to ver 3.11 on my C710 and when I input the postcode GU16 9UU I get a complete 7 digit pick list of postcodes.

Anyone know where I can get a copy of the Nov 2006 version of Miomap as I want to try out the Trafficmaster TMC.

Thanks.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: new C710 updates Reply with quote

Teece wrote:
Retty wrote:
ticklepin wrote:
Thanks, Retty.

I can confirm I have had a similar situation with unmapped car parks after updating to the latest software a couple of days ago.

I have rolled back to ver 3.11 on my C710 and when I input the postcode GU16 9UU I get a complete 7 digit pick list of postcodes.

Anyone know where I can get a copy of the Nov 2006 version of Miomap as I want to try out the Trafficmaster TMC.

Thanks.

Short of getting hold of someone's initial install disk I don't think there is a way. I'm not sure about license issues and whether or not an ISO of such a disk would be falling foul of the law - the license for the maps and other services exists in the license file on the unit.

It's a shame that the only option is to roll back to 3.1.
Teece
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: new C710 updates Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
Teece wrote:
Retty wrote:
ticklepin wrote:
Thanks, Retty.

Thanks.

Short of getting hold of someone's initial install disk I don't think there is a way. I'm not sure about license issues and whether or not an ISO of such a disk would be falling foul of the law - the license for the maps and other services exists in the license file on the unit.

It's a shame that the only option is to roll back to 3.1.

I think you may be right Retty.

I was able to find a backup copy of the March 1st 2007 Miomap update on my PC which I just copied over so I will leave my C710 on that version until I understand more about the latest update.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: new C710 updates Reply with quote

Teece wrote:

I think you may be right Retty.

I was able to find a backup copy of the March 1st 2007 Miomap update on my PC which I just copied over so I will leave my C710 on that version until I understand more about the latest update.

Hmm, a fatal exception error today (the Window popped up and requested me to touch "ok"!) and then also a soft reboot for no apparent reason.

These problems are almost certainly geographically specific - I'm not going to have a chance to try to replicate them for a while though. The bluetooth light/connection was active at the time and TMC re-routing was also in operation at the time (tricky to try to replicate).

I would like to report these problems to Mitac - I have 2 certain locations where the problems can be replicated (1 of which results in a system hang). There doesn't seem to be a way of reporting it to them.

The problem today was annoying because it took probably 90 seconds or so for the unit to start up again - TMC information was lost and I was then directed on to a jam on the A4 which the previous directions promised to detour :-(

I wouldn't mind trying the initial release version of 3.2 although I do remember that the second release version (still with Trafficmaster) didn't have brilliant voice directions compared with later release versions.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pity that Mio don't keep archive copies of software and maps on their server because if they did, it would be so easy to backtrack to a version of software and/or maps that might suit your needs/preferences better than the latest version.
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: New C710 Updates available Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
Retty wrote:
Retty wrote:
ticklepin wrote:

The previous version which I still have reads March 1 2007.
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: new C710 updates Reply with quote

Teece wrote:
Retty wrote:
ticklepin wrote:
Thanks, Retty.

Thanks.

Surely the problem with the unmapped car park is a fix as it seems like as soon as you start driving it would show you where the exit tot the road is.

I'm also trying to understand the postcode problem, It sound like you can still get the mio to direct you to GU16 9UU but you have to pick it from a 1 page list. Surely this is not a problem.

A word of warning in regards to the TrafficMaster Vs ITIS TMCs. It sounds like depending on your geographic location one is better than the other. As I'm in the East of London I find I find that I get a stronger signal from ITIS than Trafficmaster.
ITIS masts generally have stronger signal strengths but there are far fewer of them (42) whereas Trafficmaster have loads of masts (98) but with a weaker signal strength.

Example: (I'm not sure how far 1kW travels) Rolling Eyes
The lowest Trafficmaster signal strength mast is 97.5 Horsham (0.03) where 0.03 denotes the kW of strength. The Highest Trafficmaster signal strength mast is 106.1 Black Hill (20) 20kW.

The lowest ITIS signal strength mast is 101.0 Fenham (0.05) 50kW. The 9 Highest ITIS signal strength mast are 100.1 Sutton Coldfield (250), 100.3 Rowridge (250), 100.9 Wrotham (250), 101.1 Holme Moss (250), 101.5 Tacoineston (250), 101.7 Black Hill (250), 101.7 Wenvoe (250), 101.9 Divis (250), 99.9 Sandale (250).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: