Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ANN: Postcode support for TTN2 on PocketPC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ANN: Postcode support for TTN2 on PocketPC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torchy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I welcomed this program of Postcode finder as I happen to be in the emergency services and am often called out by the local ambulance service. I installed it as per insructions but alas when I type in a local postcode it is not available. Maybe I'm doing something wrong so will somebody try GL2 5LE or GL4 3EA and let me know what happens please?
I have tried some other areas and they work fine.
Regards
Dave
dynamite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're right, those two particular codes are not in the database. I am working on a feature to allow users to update the database via an internet connection (e.g. through your mobile phone) but it will be a little while yet before it is released.

- Niels
BrianA
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add my thanks to Neils.

Re missing postcodes, I suspect there's more than just a few missing. For example all of NE37 (where I happen to live Confused ) is missing.

Small tip, I like some others had trouble getting setup.exe to install via activesync when just double-clicking on setup.exe. I borrowed an idea I'd seen with codewallet, namely a batch file to explictly call activesync to install. Contents of mine are:

"d:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\CEAPPMGR.EXE" "D:\PDA\ukpostcode\TTNcontrol.ini"

(all one line). Obviously paths will be different for different people but you get the idea.

Go 520 + Navcore 8
(was a happy PDA user until TT stopped updating the software)
Chris_L
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually have to work with just the first part of post-codes, is there anyway I can get the software to accept just that?

I have been entering 1AA as the last part today, and about half the time it works, just its very hit and miss. Is there a last part which the first address from each region is given, or are they just random combinations?
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynamite

Your are correct both postcodes GL2 5LE and GL4 3EA are not in the database. However, strangely enough they are in the original database which I still have on my computer using code search.

Howard
Magicands
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

I assume you are not preparing a version to run on my ancient 3630 running windows 2000 (CE3)?

It looks really good, I like the "NAVIGATE TO" feature within the program.

Thanks.........wish I could use it !!

Magicands
telb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: ANN: Postcode support for TTN2 on PocketPC Reply with quote

Hi Neils

Thanks for the reply in the other forum.
You were absolutely right, I have got Checkpoint installed.
Following a suggestion elsewhere in this forum, I simply copied the .ini and .CAB files to the IPAQ, and launched the CAB from there. It worked great.
And to all others considering installing the Postcode finder. DO IT - it is brilliant and very quick and accurate. A big thanks to Neils for achieving what TomTom haven't

TelB
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help! Confused

I've got a problem with my installation of ukpostcode.

I installed the 2002 version from Neils' web site Sunday, following the instructions (I think!) onto an IPAQ 5450 running PPC 2002 (No .NET as far as I'm aware. Used it a couple of times and it was brilliant.

Yesterday I was getting the message 'unable to navigate' more often than not. At first I thought it was a conflict with POI-Warner, but it keeps appearing. Today, I can navigate to local (15miles?) postcodes but not to distant ones.

Every search goes initially to the TTN Map (ie not Navigator) page with the message 'GPS unreliable', then either back to ukpostcode with 'unable to navigate' or it calculates the route.

If I choose Show on Map, some postcodes which I can't navigate to are shown, and some show for a second or two then the screen reverts back to current position.

I'm sure it's something I've done but any help gratefully received

Malcolm
OldNick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please help a Newbie!

My TomTom Navigator2 is installed and running without problems.
I have followed the installation instructions to the letter for "UK Postcodes", given on www.digitools.co.uk/ukpostcodes.php.

When I click on setup.exe, the "ADD/Remove Programs" page appears [listed on this page are the 3 TomTom Navigator2 folders plus my three map folders (stored on my storage card)], when I click OK the page disappears without installing UK Postcodes.

Can anyone see where I have gone wrong or give aditional advice?

I have Windows Mobile 2003 and have downloaded ukpostcode_all_wm2003.

Derek
dynamite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm,

That error code comes from TTN2, when I call the tomtom interface. This leads me to expect that there is an issue with the setup of TTN2. I've got my TTN2 set to use the last available GPS location as the basis for any navigation, which may make a difference. The tomtom API is pretty flaky and I had a lot of trouble getting it to navigate at all when I first wrote the program...

Derek,

Have you already got CheckPOInt installed? I ask because you don't need to run the setup.exe program if you do - CheckPOInt has already installed the necessary tomtom libraries. Just follow step 4 onwards in the instructions and it should be fine.

Howard,

Yes, you're right! I've just looked at the original files I used to build the database and tomtom's converter tool has stripped a whole load of postcodes from the .asc files! I will build a patch as soon as I can find the time to do so, which will update the database.

- Niels
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neils

Confused Thanks for the prompt reply. I fully take your point about TTN. However, any guesses about the discrepency with different postcodes?

B15 3TR is Birmingham Botanical Gardens. Yesterday I entered that after navigating to NEC in Birmingham. First two attempts didn't work, then after turning off navigation in TTN and shutting down POI-warner, it worked fine. Today, from a known position, (Home Address) it wont navigate, and if I ask it to show on map, it shows for a split second, and then reverts to current position.

Trying it this morning, ALL local (up to approx 10 miles away) postcodes work fine, but not more distant ones.

Could this be anything to do with me using 2002 rather than 2003?

Is it correct that when using ukpostcode, it ALWAYS goes to the map page before calculating the route?

I still think it's a great program, but it'd be even better if I could get it to work every time. Smile

Malcolm
OldNick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dynamite, thank you for the prompt reply.
I have copied the files "ukpostcode nttest2 WCE MFC kanoop limited" and "uk postcode DAT File" to a folder (UK Postcodes) on my storage card. I have created a shortcut to the "ukpostcode nttest2" and dragged it to the Windows\Start Menu.

When I click on UK Postcode on the Start Menu (before and after starting TomTom Navigator2) I get the following error message:
Cannot find "ukpostcode" (or one of it's components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and all the required libraries are available" Needless to say I formed the shortcut by browsing to the file, so the path and filename must be correct.

You mentioned something about CheckPoint being installed, I SEARCHED my mobile device for a file/folder with this name; none were found. What is this Checkpoint and from where can I install it?
Derek
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek,

CheckPOInt is a POI proximity warning utility that runs in conjunction with TomTom Navigator. CheckPOInt is normally run with the PocketGPS World cameras database to provide advance warning of GATSOs and other types of speed camera. CheckPOInt can be used with any type of POI.

CheckPOInt 2.02, whilst not the latest version, is considered to be the best and can be downloaded for free from here. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
OldNick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Robert, I downloaded and installed CheckPoint and all works well now.
As I said in my opening post I am new to TomTom and still learning. I had no idea that I required CheckPoint, is there a website where I might further my Pocket_PC/TomTom education.
Derek
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't NEED CheckPOInt, Niels explained that if CheckPOInt is already installed then there is no need to run the setup.exe as the TomTom library files required by PoctCode will already have been installed.

As for a website where you can learn, you're here already! You will find all the help and assistance you require here, if you don't understand anything or need advice or assistance just ask Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: