Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is there anyway to set road speed planning?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there anyway to set road speed planning?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gacrane
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Is there anyway to set road speed planning? Reply with quote

Hi

I’ve been using TTN5 for ages now and I like it but what I would like is to regain the ability I had in TTN3 to change road speed settings for route planning. I understand this function isn’t available in TTN5 but wondered if it is possible to find the area in the software where it sets the speeds and alter it directly form there.

So my question is this does the TTN5 use figures set by road type somewhere in the application to do its planning and if so does anyone know where and can they be changed?

I’m guessing TTN6 uses the data on the maps so didn’t even think that way would be an option.

Even though I like TTN5 if the above isn’t possible does anyone know what software still offers this functionality either for PPC or PND’s

Thanks

Graham
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be done with TTN 5 or 6. I remember a couple of years ago on the CoPilot forum, someone came up with a way of changing the settings (colours, speeds etc) in CoPilot.
Although you can change menus and colours easily, nobody has posted a similar set of instructions for speeds in TomTom, so I assume it is much more difficult.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Epistle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Speed Configuration Reply with quote

For Tom Tom not to enable this is rather unhelpful. TT6 estimates a c. 3 hour route about 20 minutes longer than MS Autoroute. Sad Does anyone have influence with the manufacturer to resolve this?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone have influence with the manufacturer to resolve this?

I don't think it ever will be. Different manufacturers are using different maps and data from different sources and dates. Some will always be more up to date and accurate than others. That is why these things are meant as a GUIDE and not FACT.

Secondly even if the maps where up to date and accurate it still won't account for roadworks, delays caused by accidents or heavy traffic, and once a map is finalised you can bet some roads will have changed by the time its been released.

Best to just use the routes as an indication and plan a journey based on the information. Every day i do 10 - 100 miles guided by Sat Nav. If it tells me it going to be a 45 minutes journey then i always add 5 - 10 minutes. If i am making good progress i can ease of the gas a bit. Most of the time i arrive within 1 minute either side of my intended arrival time.
gacrane
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The original point of this question was not because I worry about the actual ETA given by the system but more to do with forcing the system to use certain roads over others. By setting smaller roads to 5mph and larger to "normal" speeds the fastest route would avoid the smaller roads. This would then make the planning better for Caravans, Lorrys, Trailer etc. That is how I used TTN3 when I was towing, the rest of the time I don't realy care if I'm sent off down a tiny road, well sometimes it great fun to play in the 4x4.

Graham

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: