Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MIO C510E - V3.2 Update -
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MIO C510E - V3.2 Update -
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I managed to successfully update 2 units to v3.2 (1 Mar 07) yesterday evening...

MioMap software
maps
voices

eveything updated without an even a hint of an error. :D

Better still, I was pleasantly surprised to see that when I updated the second unit the PC recognised which files it had already downloaded and simply uploaded the new files to the Mio rather than downloading the whole lot from the Mio server twice. Laughing

I'm glad for you GPS fan. I'm still in the dark in why everyone else has managed to update their devices but my mpa will not update. I tried this morning with everything updating aprt from the all of the maps. The maps that refuse to update are UK, France, Germany and Spain which all happen to be big downloads. After looking at the cache folder I have also noticed that the downloads all cut off after around 80Mb.

Any thoughts from anyone. This is getting highly frustrating now as I still haven't had a response from Mio.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeJay,

Have you tried deleting ALL Mio files from both your PC and your Mio?

Perhaps something has got corrupted and you may need to start from scratch.

It may be worth you deleting the files, re-installing and then trying the update process.

Failing that, have you tried contacting Mio Support?

Is your Mio fully functional apart from the update problem?

Are you getting any error messages or do the downloads just stop?

Is your Mio hacked in any way or is it a 'pukka' Mio installation?

Have you tried downloading large files other than Mio (Windows updates/software)?

Could the problem be your Internet Service Provider (ISP)?

Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

98% GREAT NEWS :D
Although I haven't had a response from Mitac yet Rolling Eyes I can confirm that the miomap updater is now working correctly. I have managed to update my device complete with maps without an http unfinished or any other error.
I found this out by going to www.mio-tech.be/updates and I noticed that the Map directory has changed its date to 28/03/07. Inside the map directory Greece.fbl-bak has been renamed to Greece.fbl. I tested this by trying to download a file greater than 90Mb which was done successfully.

I then went on to upgrade my C710 and as said before NO ERRORs :D

NOW THE DOWNSIDE
One problem I've found so far.
It has reverted back to the 4 digit postcode map dated 2006.01 and I think that the 7 digit postcode map should be 2006.01+
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BACK TO THE UPSIDE
Got the other 2%(See Previous post)

I have managed to get the newer map on my device by following this procedue
Manually download it the GB 7ppc file.
Delete the old GB file from the Mio.
Copy the GB 7ppc file to the Mio then run the updater again.

erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeJay01 wrote:
BACK TO THE UPSIDE

May I ask if you use the Transfer Hack to make these changes. I would like to change to another voice on my C510 - but just wondering if using the Tranfer Hack system upsets any future updates etc. from Mio.

Are there any problems using the Hack procedure?
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erniesone wrote:
DeeJay01 wrote:
BACK TO THE UPSIDE

May I ask if you use the Transfer Hack to make these changes. I would like to change to another voice on my C510 - but just wondering if using the Tranfer Hack system upsets any future updates etc. from Mio.

Are there any problems using the Hack procedure?

Yes I used the transfer hack and I had an addition voice already on my device (phillipa - Female UK) and it didn't effect the voice.
What I would say is that the new voices have better directional instructions but there are no UK Female one.
EXAMPLE:
The old voices say "TURN NEARLY LEFT/RIGHT" and the new ones simply say "BEAR LEFT/RIGHT"
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it seems that Mitac have finally sorted the update. I was able to get the complete set of files today. But I still had to do the 7ppc-rename dodge to get 7-figure postcodes working.

Sal
Teece
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
Yes, it seems that Mitac have finally sorted the update. I was able to get the complete set of files today. But I still had to do the 7ppc-rename dodge to get 7-figure postcodes working.

Sal

Sal,

I did not rename, inorder to get the latest UK map
1. manually downloaded the greatbritain7ppc.fbl
2. remove the existing UK map on the gps
3. copy the greatbritain7ppc.fbl (without renaming) to the GPS
4. Connect to Mio update and it auto updates the UK map (I think its actually unlocks it) whilst updating it says updating or downloading greatbritain7ppc.fbl
5. If you check map version it should be ver 060926 200.01+

And also if you check the map via the transfer hack, the map name is still greatbritain7ppc.fbl.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. I'm glad that worked for you and hopefully it will for others too.
I ended up with both maps, greatbritain and greatbritain7ppc. In that condition it was clearly only using greatbritain since it wouldn't give the full postcodes.

Sal
Teece
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
I ended up with both maps, greatbritain and greatbritain7ppc. In that condition it was clearly only using greatbritain since it wouldn't give the full postcodes.

Sal

Yes, I found if I renamed the greatbritain7ppc to greatbritain it wouldn't work. Also I found that the TMC information also changed providing more detailed information as discussed in another topic on this site about conflicting traffic information "Mio TMC reports borked"

My feeling is that it is the latest UK map that provided the new TMC data not the latest release of Miomap 3.2.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teece wrote:
Sallyann wrote:

Sal

Yes, I found if I renamed the greatbritain7ppc to greatbritain it wouldn't work. Also I found that the TMC information also changed providing more detailed information as discussed in another topic on this site about conflicting traffic information "Mio TMC reports borked"

My feeling is that it is the latest UK map that provided the new TMC data not the latest release of Miomap 3.2.

If true how would you explain differences in TMC reporting between different release versions of Miomap 3.2 despite the fact that the map has remained the same? The map probably has some relevance to TMC functionality but the TMC specific code seems to be embedded in the Miomap application and associated licence and data files.

The detail of journalistic information has also increased in the past couple of weeks - traffic light problems, congestion clearing (I saw it once), broken down vehicle, fog and dense fog, accident - road closed (a peculiarly quick and helpful alert) and a few more.

The best way to obtain answers to questions, I'm learning slowly, is to forget Mitac specific questions and to think of Miomap as OEM iGO software.

The licence system used by iGO software seems to be quite straightforward - without a valid TMC licence file you will be requested to obtain one when you try to access TMC on the Mio. You also need the relevant data files before your device can use TMC.
Teece
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
Teece wrote:
Sallyann wrote:

Sal

If true how would you explain differences in TMC reporting between different release versions of Miomap 3.2 despite the fact that the map has remained the same? The map probably has some relevance to TMC functionality but the TMC specific code seems to be embedded in the Miomap application and associated licence and data files.

The detail of journalistic information has also increased in the past couple of weeks - traffic light problems, congestion clearing (I saw it once), broken down vehicle, fog and dense fog, accident - road closed (a peculiarly quick and helpful alert) and a few more.

The best way to obtain answers to questions, I'm learning slowly, is to forget Mitac specific questions and to think of Miomap as OEM iGO software.

The licence system used by iGO software seems to be quite straightforward - without a valid TMC licence file you will be requested to obtain one when you try to access TMC on the Mio. You also need the relevant data files before your device can use TMC.

Experimentation

I have used version 3.1 and 3.2, the old and the new GB maps. Through this experimentation I was only able to obtain the enhanced TMC information with a combination of the ver 3.2 and the latest greatbritain7ppc and greatbritain maps.

Also when rolling back to 3.1 I have seen some of the events you have mentioned fog and dense fog, accident - road closed. (I have my C710 sitting with TMC running whilst planning my work routes daily).

The reverse can also be said about the software version and the relevance to TMC reporting such that specific code could be embedded in the map and the software deals with the processing of the information as it receives it.

Perhaps ver 3.2 enables the additional TMC messages within the latest maps I don't know, and equally don't feel qualified to explain it, however I do now what I have experienced which is what I am offering, simlair to yourself.

p.s. I too like to learn by use and by accessing all available information.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting more confused with this!

I'm using the latest maps, but the original release (October/November 2006) of MioMap v3.2 on my system and the TMC reports give directional information which ties in with radio bulletins.

Prior to this, I was using October/November maps with the October/November release of MioMap software.

My wife's unit has the latest maps AND latest software and when I 'played' with this unit, it too reported incidents which tied in with radio bulletins.

I have yet to see a traffic report which, direction-wise, doesn't tie in with radio bulletins - irrespective of map and/or MioMap software used and, indeed, whether TrafficMaster or iTIS is the source of TMC data.

TrafficMaster has been in my car since the first Freeway systems were released the best part of 10 years ago - so i guess I just favour the devil I know at the moment.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I'm getting more confused with this!

I'm using the latest maps, but the original release (October/November 2006) of MioMap v3.2 on my system and the TMC reports give directional information which ties in with radio bulletins.

Prior to this, I was using October/November maps with the October/November release of MioMap software.

My wife's unit has the latest maps AND latest software and when I 'played' with this unit, it too reported incidents which tied in with radio bulletins.

I have yet to see a traffic report which, direction-wise, doesn't tie in with radio bulletins - irrespective of map and/or MioMap software used and, indeed, whether TrafficMaster or iTIS is the source of TMC data.

TrafficMaster has been in my car since the first Freeway systems were released the best part of 10 years ago - so i guess I just favour the devil I know at the moment.

It's good to focus on the established differences between the 2 systems. There's been mention for example that ITIS also uses fixed sensors but from what I can discover this isn't strictly true.

ITIS does use the AA Roadwatch data mining system which aside from direct journalistic information and "jambuster" phone ins does use CCTV information. This isn't the same though as dedicated fixed sensors grading traffic flow with ANPR technology as Trafficmaster does.

The use of GMS mobile phone location data - anonymised and passed on by the telephone companies - doesn't inspire great confidence in ITIS but apparently, with clever mathematics, it does accurately supplement other data and inform decision making about the location of congestion.

A really sad question but have you tried using both units alongside each other?!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did try both units side by side and they both (as near as damn it) displayed the same information.

The obvious differences were:

iTIS TMC displayed "traffic light failure" which TrafficMaster failed to mention

TrafficMaster TMC (at the time) displayed traffic reports from much further afield than iTIS. On this occasion, iTIS was quite localised, whereas TrafficMaster was nationwide.

However, incident location and traffic direction were the same with both systems - regardless of TMC source or MioMap v3 version software.

As for which one I prefer - it just has to be the devil I know at the moment, so I'm sticking with TrafficMaster.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: