Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A Real Map on a PDA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A Real Map on a PDA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fatdave42
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: A Real Map on a PDA Reply with quote

I have got a PDA (HP 2200) and would like to be able to put a real map on it. That is, I have got a 1:50,000 i would like to be able to scann it and and then youse that as a map. I would like the software to plot on the map wher i am at any one time.

Ani idears.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at OziExplorer or similar tools. They allow you to calibrate scanned maps.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you (more than likely) want is OziExplorer. See www.oziexplorer.com for more info.

You will need both the PC part and the PDA part. They are shareware but not that expensive. I have been a very happy user for many years. The PC part is used for calibration of the map images you scan. Judging by your scale I am assuming you are scanning OS maps.

It's a multi-step process.

Scan maps(s)

Reduce colour depth (256 colours is ample)

Load into OziExplorer and calibrate

Convert to OziExplorerCE format

Load onto PDA and use.

Some things to remember:

You can calibrate your map using the OSGB grid ref and map datum (OSGB36) but you need to tell OziExplorerCE (the PDA part) that your GPS is transmitting position in WGS84 datum format. Otherwise you get a position error of about 50-100 meters. Confusion between map datum and GPS datum is the most usual cause of problems when doing this sort of thing. The web site has some handy tips about how to do it.

The s/w copes with the OS map projection (as well as many others) so that you get accurate calibration over the whole of the scanned map.

Although the trial s/w will work - you can only calibrate y=using two points. I find that for scanned maps 3 or four points gives a more accurate calibration as you can't guarantee the map was completely smooth under the scanner glass.

Don't try to combine multiple scanned images into one file - the s/w is very good at swapping maps as you run off the edge of one and onto another. For this reason I tend to have an overlap area at the edge of each map.

You will need the free (from the website) tool to convert your scanned and calibrated maps to a 'special' format (ozf2) which was developed by the author (Des Newman) to give good map loading speed on PDA. The s/w dates back to early PDA days when memory cards were very slow!

Don't worry that the PDA version of the s/w (OziExplorerCE) says Beta version - it's always been like that as far as I recall.

Reduce the colour depth of your scanned images - I tend to use 256 bit colour - more than enough for maps - and it significantly reduces the size of the image files (making them faster to load).

Have a go with a map of your local area and try it out before you need to use it in anger - that way you will know if you have made any errors and you can develop your own process for the whole method of scanning, calibrating etc.

Lastly - A GPS/PDA is only an AID to navigation - use it together with a map and common sense - you can guarantee your batteries will die just when you need to use them!
gacrane
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If you are UK based and only want to use your maps in the UK you could try the free program GPSMap
http://www.callnetuk.com/home/shanks/GPSMap.html

This is nice little progam that work in OSGB and is free.

Graham
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clash on OziExplorer Laughing

I will have to have a look at GPSMap - looks kind of interesting.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, is "Satmap", what you are looking for, have a look on the "HOME" page?
Fatdave42
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a look at satmap, it is not cheap and i do not know if you can add you own maps on to the system. I Have e-mail them, but from what people say i will not get a reply any time soon.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you wont beable to use your own maps on the satmap ie Oziexploreer style for the satmap you need to get the maps for them

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
kgoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use GPS Tuner on my HP iPAQ rx5915. See the following link.
http://www.gpstuner.com/
Any map that can be scanned or otherwise converted to .jpg format can be used. The map needs to be calibrated by identifying at least 2 points on it with known coordinates.
Fatdave42
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any one know of a conpany that will scann a map in one go, rather that me cutting it up and having loads of maps?

Last edited by Fatdave42 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fatdave42 wrote:
Does any one know of a conpany that will scann a map in one go, rather that mecutting it up and having loads of maps?

No because technically that is a breach of copyright. It's a grey area whether you can scan your own paper map but definitely a breach for a company to offer such a service.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fatdave42 wrote:
Does any one know of a conpany that will scann a map in one go, rather that me cutting it up and having loads of maps?

Go to www.oziexplorer.com website and select Information at bottom LHS of screen. It has a simple tutorial on how to scan large maps without destroying them. I wouldn't bother joining them - you'll never get it 100% right. Just treat them as separate maps and calibrate them seperately. Try to leave a little overlap - it helps when changing maps. If you can borrow an A3 scanner - much easier.

Speaking from personal experience - placing the scanner in the middle of a large table helps greatly. Paper maps are designed to be folded which helps considerably Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good quality digital camera with optical zoom is quite good if you shoot in raw format, its another option and much easier if your map is flat devoid of folds (thats where the option for roll maps rather than folded is quite handy)
Don't use flash and make sure the camera is square on to the map, a tripod helps with this - Mike
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your camera is equipped with a setting for RAW try using it as this disables the on board jpeg compression - it results in great quality a at the price of very large files - these can then be re-sized on your PC (working as bmp is best) to preserve the quality - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: