Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help with 3450
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with 3450

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Help with 3450 Reply with quote

Hi all,

My IPAQ 3850 with Navman 3450 was working brilliantly until the battery on my IPAQ went flat and I lost all of my applications.

I reinstalled SmartST and installed SP2 but whatever I try, I cannot get a fix. In fact, I'm not even sure the sleeve is attempting to see any sats because when I'm in the GPS status mode no sats are indicated and the UTC timer stays at zero. In the past, the timer has always started counting as soon as the sleeve went on line.

The other information it displays in the status screen is COM5:NAVMAN IPAQ GPS. Is this correct? If so, does anybody have any idea what could be the problem? I have now re-installed the software twice each after a hard reset but it still doesn't work.

One other thing to mention, prior to the battery going flat, I upgraded the ROM on the sleeve, but I know that's not the cause of my problem because it worked fine after that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry
gracar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably far too simplistic but on the SmartST GPS page is the small icon next to the box that shows the COM port coloured red or green? If it's red then touch it with the stylus to open the COM port.
Telboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update...

I've just installed Navmans GPS info application and when I try to start it I get the message 'Failed to get NMEA data Sleeve Comms Error Contact Navman Support.

I've sent a message to Navman, but I suspect my sleeve has gone belly up.
Telboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry gracar,

I was entering my update as you were replying.

That was the first thing I checked, it's definately on green.

Thanks anyway
Telboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, how long does it normally take for Navman Support to respond to queries submitted through the on-line support request form?

Thanks.

Terry
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between 2 days and never Evil or Very Mad
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Telboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's working.....Yipee!!!

What did I do to get it working? I have absolutley no idea.

Actually, that's not strictly true. I once again reinstalled the software, SP2 and the updated serial driver, but this time installed it from a different pc with Activsync installed and hey presto, everything is now working fine.

There are three things that I think could have been the cause of my problem:

1. I have an intermittent fault on the sleeve
2. The sleeve somehow became corrupted. I left the sleeve disconnected
for 24hrs and has possibly reset itself ??? (Sounds unlikely, but who
knows?)
3. There is a problem with Activsync on my other pc that caused problems
during the file transfer / install process.

Anyway, I'm happy now that my sleeve is working again, but I still haven't received a reply from Navman Support which is a bit worrying. Sad
DaveSause
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: GPS 3450 Reply with quote

I am answering your inquiry even though your system is now working, because it happened to me and I found two posts about the error, but no clear reply.

This applies to Navman GPS 3450 and the error “failed to get NMEA data sleve comms error”. If this is what you are seeing, don’t panic – it’s a software problem not a bad sleeve.

In brief, you need to reinstall all the software and upgrades, but the trick is to make sure everything starts clean. I noticed this after my IPAQ acted weird and I restored it from my backup – at that point the GPS stuff was not working. There was a program called GPS Data 1.3 that would not start, but would display the error. This program and SmartST Professional compete for the GPS, so only one will run from the point where you install the sleeve and do a reset. If you go into SmartST and go to GPS Data it just seems to take forever and sometimes, you see the NMEA message. It’s telling you it can’t connect to the GPS sleeve.

After a couple of attempts at reinstalling I finally realized I needed to completely uninstall the software, reinstall it and do the on-line upgrades. At that point it worked … but no more GPS Data 1.3! This had to be something that Navman changed, and you don’t really need it … but at least it told me whether the GPS was working without just waiting for it to sync.

The fix:

I did Start, Settings, System, Remove Programs and tried to remove all the GPS and SmartST stuff. This should have fooled it into thinking I had a new installation, but there were still clues. I then fired up Active Sync and did Explore – deleting everything from the storage card, and exploring all the directories for anything that said SmartST, GPS, Navman, etc. I deleted all of it. Then did a reset without the sleeve to make sure the IPAQ was working. If you leave the sleeve in, it gives you an “unknown device error” – which is good, it means everything is clean.

Now do the reinstall, register/activate, the upgrade, and finally install maps (I tried with just one to start). Now here is the trick. To do this, Active Sync needs to be operating and you need to be connected to the net. My PC has cable modem, so net is always live. When I start Active Sync or reconnect to the IPAQ, I have to enter my password on the PC… so you may need to swap screens to make sure everything is OK. Navman says at various points to remove the IPAQ from the cradle, reset, install or remove the sleeve, and replace in the cradle. Follow these exactly. At each point, I found I could leave Active Sync running and reinsert the IPAQ – at which time I had to enter the password on the PC and wait for it to sync. Also, you may want to turn off the screen dimmer while on external power… because you have to respond to prompts on the IPAQ as well as the PC. You may need to reset both the IPAQ and the PC to get it to sync.

So do the install, the activation, THEN the online upgrades, THEN the maps (with about a thousand in and outs of the sleeve, resets, passwords, etc.) With luck, it should then work.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: