Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cameras and Traffic for US
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cameras and Traffic for US

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manical
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Cameras and Traffic for US Reply with quote

Is there something I am missing? I am in the USA and registered as such for Southern California. I keep getting prices in foreign currency. Is this the same for everyone? It seems like everything is tailored for the Great Britain market. Does TomTom have items for the USA? I thought since they have my address they would tailor my TomTom Home screen to a more local view.

Thanks for the help.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the TomTom website?

If so, there is a box in the top right to set your country.

(Must admit, it kind of makes a nice change, WE have to put up with prices in YOUR currency all the time Evil or Very Mad )
RQ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be great if they could tailor the TT home screen to Venice Beach in California for manical. Wink

And in the UK we get foreign currency - let alone dollars we get Euros.

Why is everything tailored for the European market? Wink

Regards
jzerocsk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that even when I set my region to the US, the prices for the traffic service are still shown in Euro. It's easy enough to convert, though.
manical
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... Sorry to sound like the "poor american". It was more for the website designer... Since the US is a fairly big market for GPS systems now, I figured they would have a parallel site for stuff like this..
I do know that European countries (not just UK), get shafted with the prices. I was traveling last summer and wanted to purchase ipods and stuff for relatives, I found prices for 299 euros, where in the US it is 299 US dollars... That's ridiculous.

That being said... I would purchase the traffic module, but since it isn't in the US currency, I wasn't sure I was purchasing the US package.

TomTom's support isn't grade A...

Cheers...
pugwash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my belief that the traffic service doesn't work in the US. There are conflicting reports about this around the place (both on the internet and on TT's website) so I sent their support an email about it. I'll report back the answer.

Chris
Pedro2NR
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT Traffic is free right now in the US. All you have to do is go to your preference page and look for edit TT plus account. Enter the email address and password you would enter for tomtom's website. This enables TT Plus features such as traffic and weather.
jzerocsk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro2NR wrote:
TT Traffic is free right now in the US. All you have to do is go to your preference page and look for edit TT plus account. Enter the email address and password you would enter for tomtom's website. This enables TT Plus features such as traffic and weather.

I think you might just be getting lucky. I tried this and get a message that my trial subscription for traffic service has expired.

My impression of the Internet traffic service, at least near Philadelphia, is that it's pretty worthless. Incidents were reported with what I felt to be a reasonable degree of accuracy, but no delay information is available - that is every incident reports a delay of "0 Min," so if you try to re-route yourself to avoid traffic, TomTom does nothing. You can route yourself around individual incidents but you have to browse to them to do so which is not very convenient. You end up just diverting from your path and seeing how the device re-routes you. I can do that on my own without paying the fee.

Considering the wealth of free and good traffic services - Google Maps Mobile, Microsoft Live Search and Traffic.com, I feel that the value in paying for the TomTom traffic service is the integration with the GPS unit. At the moment, that integration is not complete and I just can't justify paying for it when it's really no better than a quick call to Traffic.com or loading up Live Search on ye olde Smartphone.
pugwash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jzerocsk wrote:
I think you might just be getting lucky. I tried this and get a message that my trial subscription for traffic service has expired.

Me too. However I got a reply from Tomtom saying that traffic was free in the US until June. I've a feeling that my account is maybe screwed up slightly because I once lived in Europe and had a full traffic subscription.

I've got an email into Tomtom support at the moment - I'll let them know what they say about my "trial expired" message as it probably applies to you too.

Chris
jzerocsk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent a message to TomTom's support site asking when the traffic service would be fully functional in my area and I got an odd, but interesting (and unedited) reply:

"We are looking forward to offer the traffic service again starting March 31st of 2007 when the option for US subscribers will be enable. We have been recently improving this service to be able to provided you with the best quality."

I don't know if that means the "free trial" will come back on in the US at the end of the month....or that it will be availalbe for purchase....or that the previously-missing delay information will be available.... or?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: