Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SATELLITE FIX NEEDED BADLY
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SATELLITE FIX NEEDED BADLY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: SATELLITE FIX NEEDED BADLY Reply with quote

PLEASE FIND ME A SATELLITE

I need a fix badly. It has been three days since setting up TT224 on my bluetooth HP4150, including GB map data and GPS209, with a lot of help from this website. I got satellite fix immediately after setting up bluetooth connection using TT Wizard. This was done from inside the house near a window.

That was late at night. The following day when I tried to use system properly for the first time, I got nowhere. GPS status is continuously unreliable and I am starting to get frustrated. I have tried fixing GPS to current location and also leaving stationary for 20 minutes all to no avail. Admittedly I haven't sat stationary in car whilst parked in the road; but I didn't think this was necessary because I had previously got a fix from bedroom. Who wants to sit in a parked car for 12+ minutes just to get GPS fix anyway?

What do I do next? Please help. Embarassed

Scoof.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if any other program is interfering with the COM port.. And - use something like WinFast Navigator to find out if maybe your GPS receiver went fishing.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance as I haven't read any of your previous posts today, but first thing I would suggest is make sure you start acquiring the sats before you start moving. If you have started your journey then you may see delayed fixes up to 40 mins when travelling. The amount of data you need first is best to receive when stationary, once you have your fixes, you only need minimal data to keep the sats fixed so try to sit in the car for 5 mins to start with.

If you still don't get a fix, make sure your car doesn't have a UV coated windscreen. Easy way to tell is to freeze your bo$$ocks off outside for 5 mins, in theory after you've received a first fix on the receiver, you should receive fixes in around 1min from power on.

If that still doesn't work, check out this article as this will walk you through diagnosing your GPS problems and will help you get a better understanding of GPS. Remember GPS is line of sight, although you may have got a fix in your bedroom, it's not the norm!
Scoof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: SATELLITE FIX NEEDED Reply with quote

Thankyou Lutz & Dave for your suggestions. Your comment about stay stationary for about 5 minutes got me thinking Rolling Eyes . When I received that first fix in bedroom, I was happy and thought that everything would be OK and so I switched off the unit. I didn't really give the receiver sufficient time to establish a proper fix.

So I thought the first thing I would do today before even contemplating your remedies is shut down all running programs, do a soft reset of IPAQ and then run TT Wizard again. It worked!! The GPS status bars came alive and I didn't move until at least six bars were displayed and direction chevron appeared on navigator screen.

I did two journeys and returned home and have now shut down. I am hoping that all will be well tomorrow morning; but for the moment ah feel good! Happy

Scoof Thumbs Up

PS. Why is all mail logged as GMT +10?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because that's probably what your profile says - you can change your time zone there.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum and website is running against GMT, so if you do have your profile setup to a different country then you may see an offset in time (GMT+x)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: