Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which is strongest GPS Receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which is strongest GPS Receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alncc1701
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Which is strongest GPS Receiver Reply with quote

Hi

I am wanting to get a gps receiver with uk road mapping, Points of Interest, and post code search down to at least 7 digits that has the least reception problems possible.

I want one that will receive postioning very fast and work under thick tree cover and car windows glass etc. Also won't have problems walking down a city street surrounded by tall buildings blocking reception, or in deep valleys surrounded by mountains and hills.

I basically want excellent reception. If I can get all this on my windows mobile 2003 SE pocket pc that would be great (ideally USB cable connection, but bluetooth OK if I have to). I have a Acer N50 slightly old model PDA. It has a 300MHZ processor and SD card and Compact Flash card input. I believe it has a USB connection cable converter I can buy to add to it to give it USB ability.

Thanks

Al
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a number of questions, firstly the software.
If you want automotive GPS based software look at TomTom as this offers full post code support.
If you want countryside walking look at Topographical mapping which displays Ordinance Survey maps on the PDA, Memory Map is a good starter for ten - no good for spoken routes on the road though.

As you can see from the above there are two different types of software - on or off road.

For GPS hardware, your other post looks at a CF receiver, nice unit but I would also consider Bluetooth devices, the minimum these days has to be SiRF-III, although the MTK chipset is also offering good results see Here

Take your time with any purchase, read up on the various software packages (the forums offer a wealth of knowledge on such topics) - ask questions to formulate your choice, then enjoy the resultant product (s) - Mike
alncc1701
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for your reply.

I think on road GPS will be more useful to me. That new MTK chipset looks really good. Does this mean sirfstar 3 is dead I wonder? Maybe I should wait a few weeks and see. I will look at TomTom for on road then. I would like to get free safety camera updates available via download if it does this for a PDA. I am also a little worried my PDA will not have enough memory or CPU power to deal with the mapping software. I will have to look into all of this I suppose.

Do you know who are offering the best prices for TomTom software?

Thanks

Al
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Al,

Yes TT6 should run alright on your Acer N50, but I'd recommend a Bluetooth receiver. The CF slot is "back-to-front", so you might find the aerial of a CF receiver pointing at the ground! Yes, the N50 does have a USB Host facility, but there are no drivers (software) available for PPCs, so you cannot connect a USB GPS receiver.

The cheapest I've seen legitimate SD cards with TT6 for GB is about £70, from places like globalpositioningsystems.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
alncc1701
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Alan

For your help. I will go for TT6 I think. I was looking at that Qstarz 32 channel bluetooth reciever that looks pretty good. Perhaps those two would
be a good combination for my Acer. I wonder also if it is a good idea to buy 2 receivers so that if one packs up or runs out of battery power or something one still has another to kick in.
mazhar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alncc1701 wrote:
Thanks a lot Alan

For your help. I will go for TT6 I think. I was looking at that Qstarz 32 channel bluetooth reciever that looks pretty good. Perhaps those two would
be a good combination for my Acer. I wonder also if it is a good idea to buy 2 receivers so that if one packs up or runs out of battery power or something one still has another to kick in.

I bought a QstarZ double 32 Bluetooth receiver, runs on my PDA with TTN6. I use it anywhere around home, inside my office - no problem. It is permenantly inside the armrest of my car, works fine. I also tried keeping it inside the car door pocket. works perfactly every time. As for charging, it holds 32 hours working charge, in practice I charge every five days.
I would reccommend anyone. You can Buy one in e-bay for less than £50.
alncc1701
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up getting TTN6 with a CF sirfstar3 GPS as I got a good deal, and with CF there is no need to recharge the receiver, just the PDA. I would have preferred the QstarZ, but was a little nervous about using Ebay because genrally I prefer buying from shops or well known online shops. I will get the QstarZ later on, especially I think it will be great for my off road plans too. Memory map was sugggested and I will check that out this coming week. Something with comprehensive mountain and nature park trails drawn in detail would be a good start.

Al
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alncc1701 wrote:
I ended up getting TTN6 with a CF sirfstar3 GPS as I got a good deal, and with CF there is no need to recharge the receiver, just the PDA. I would have preferred the QstarZ, but was a little nervous about using Ebay because genrally I prefer buying from shops or well known online shops. I will get the QstarZ later on, especially I think it will be great for my off road plans too. Memory map was sugggested and I will check that out this coming week. Something with comprehensive mountain and nature park trails drawn in detail would be a good start.

Al

Memory Map is the one for you then. 1:25k OSGB mapping (best in the world Thumbs Up ) and the option to download (at a small fee) a variety of guided trail / bike trips. Don't forget that you will need good protection for your PDA - they don't like rain or hitting the rocks very much. Also a spare battery as you may find that the unit doesn't last your journey (don't bank on getting the PDA manufacturer's claimed battery life - try it for yourself at home first).

Lastly (and most importantly) don't rely on this system (or any GPS system) for adventures where getting lost is going to put you at risk - always take a map/compass and be sure you know how to use them. Memory Map allows you to create personalised maps with your routes and other info printed on them.
alncc1701
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil

As you say I better get something to protect my PDA too, I got a small scratch on the screen already that is a pity, but not too bad.

Good point about not relying only on the GPS to work in case it packs up. I will always take a compass and map if I go heavily off road.

The memory map has a breadcrumb trail feature too I think which I was hoping to get on the TomTom as well.

Al
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory Map will record a track you have taken, TomTom will not - in order to record where you have been when using either product (or both at the same time if you really want to push the hardware) consider Fransons GPS Gate, this application will share the GPS data between programs (and other devices if need be), whilst recording a log file for post processing.
For a decent waterproof box that will withstand the odd drop and is water proof - look at the Otter box products (again Memory Map can supply these).
Never go out walking without paper maps and basic devices such as compass and waterproof map pouch, Phils advice is without a doubt very important, the GPS is good when it works, batteries can fail, conditions close in - make sure you carry the basics and more importantly know how to use them - Mike
alncc1701
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike

I will look into Fransons Gate. I would like to get memory map in a few weeks time, then maybe Fransons gate if it can help out. I was kind of hoping to get a trackback feature like the Yellow Garmin Monochrome Etrex (my first gps) has onto TomTom so that one could drive around and even go off road where TT does not have any roads listed then trackback on the route .

Al
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
alncc1701
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Mullet,

I will check that out, might get it if it has the right features. Are there a lot of places to get TomTom addons?

Al
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: