Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ALK Provides Free Monthly Safety Camera Updates!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ALK Provides Free Monthly Safety Camera Updates!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jasonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: ALK Provides Free Monthly Safety Camera Updates! Reply with quote

ALK have now started providing free monthly Safety Camera updates:

HERE
FatOldSun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sneaked that one in didn't they! You would have thought they'd have publicised this free service to all registered users of Copilot.

They've even written an installer - all you do is make sure your Pocket PC is sync'd up, download and run an executable file, and it installs the camera updates straight to the Pocket PC. Then you just run Copilot so it integrates the updates.

It even works on Windows Vista which no longer uses ActiveSync.
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Tom Tom promoting the safety cameras as part of their 'package' as opposed to a third party add-in I surmised it was inevitable.

I found the link this evening only because I was looking for any more general updates that might be to hand.

Has anyone tried the ALK safety cameras yet? How do they compare to the pocketgpsworld 'ones'?

I have downloaded it but have yet to install it/them.

Smile
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised I need to install the update from 6.0.1.68 to 6.0.4.110
FatOldSun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult to tell how they compare with the PocketGPS ones, but presumably they all come from the same place. All I know is that it told me about all the cameras around here. And the nice thing is that the ALK ones show the speed limit for that camera next to the speed camera sign in the yellow warning box as well as your current speed. I suppose the next step is to warn you if you are going faster than the camera's set speed, but that really is for lazy drivers!
ccarmock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suppose if you use Text to Speech with the ALK provided camera database it will speak the speed setting of the camera concerned?

Does it still alert about cameras close to the route as opposed to only those on the route?

Co Pilot used to be more accurate in the past than it is now.

Clive
labeline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to hear from anyone who is running this new ALK system who was using the Pocket GPS world system previously. How do they compare visually. If the ALK system still overwrites the screen I would prefer to keep the GPS world system as I much prefer the notification but what I really want is a system that tells me that I am approaching a safety camera site and its speed limit. I can check my speed myself, I don't need to be told how fast I am going. It would have been nice if ALK had told people that they were going to do it although, having used this site, I would have joined it anyway, its been very interesting and there is a lot of knowledge out there.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it only covers fixed gatsos from what a can tell on my travels this week i have come across any specs or redlight cameras yet though

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Bohica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Concur.From the look of it the download only provides the fixed sites.
Interestingly enough,I used their application to update the database,straight over the existing GPSW one,or so I thought..........

What Happens now when you approach a fixed site is that you get the Camera icon,the Camera Speed Zone,and a readout of your current speed in green........yep green on vomit yellow,not a good combination...however.....

My existing GPSW database also appears to be intact,as I'm getting the alerts for all the mobile,and Specs cameras.....in fact "Naggin Nancy's" gone into overload,to the extent that poor old TTS Trevor can't get a word in edgeways........ CoPilot
She's starting to sound like my mother-in-law......

Fair play to ALK for a least having a go.......Idea=Good,Execution.......

Cheers
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on my impressions!

I like the overlay i.e. a little bigger than the PGW one and the speed 'rating' of the camera is useful.

However, the database is oddly out of date ~ mobile cameras not reported, some fixed cameras that have been there for ages not reported but the "average speed set" just south of the Dartford Tunnel is reported. Very much a mixed bag.

I think I am going to revert back to PGW install but it would be nice to be able to keep the CP image overlay - any way that can be done?

Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: