Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Splashscreen Files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Splashscreen Files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
80flo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Splashscreen Files Reply with quote

I have lost all of my splash screen files from my TT910. There are no files relating to Splash Screens showing in the TT directory, (in my case the F: directory) Can anyone tell me what files I need and where I can get them from.
RQ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There is a sticky at the top of this forum that discusses new splash screens and most probably where to place them.

That would be the first place to look.

Also placing splash into the search engine will bring up suitable responses.

There have been a lot of posts with regard to splash screens and some of the very experienced people on the forum get a little tense with the less experienced if we do not look before we ask.

Regards
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RQ wrote:
There have been a lot of posts with regard to splash screens and some of the very experienced people on the forum get a little tense with the less experienced if we do not look before we ask.

If I might make so bold, I think you have misunderstood posts by the experienced people. It may appear tense when they suggest the search button, but I'm pretty sure it's simply helpful guidance and they'd be somewhat mortified to hear that you feel you (or anybody else) have been tensed at. I'm not sure how they could word it differently. You have referred to yourself as "less experienced", but if you read your reply again, you could be forgiven for thinking that you too are being tense. You're not, of course, but it just shows how difficult it can be to get the helpful wording right, especially if you're concentrating on getting a quick answer to the person in trouble, and how easy it can be to read wrongly between the lines. Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
RQ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

You are dead right.

The english language is so difficult to use and it is so easy to misinterpret the written word.

Apolgies to the experienced et al.

Regards
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Splashscreen Files Reply with quote

80flo wrote:
I have lost all of my splash screen files from my TT910. There are no files relating to Splash Screens showing in the TT directory, (in my case the F: directory) Can anyone tell me what files I need and where I can get them from.

Back to topic.
OUCH!! Are you telling us you haven't got a backup? Stop it!

The splash screens are called splashw.bmp and suspendw.bmp. They go into the root directory of the GO (which you have as F: ). Have you any idea how you managed to lose them? Reason I ask is I can't imagine how you would lose them without suffering more important losses, unless you thought you knew what you were doing moving them around in Windows Explorer and had a brain blip or a mouse spasm.

Maybe it's time for you to go into F: and do a search for splashw.bmp and/or suspendw.bmp - if you were fiddling with them, you might just have moved them by mistake into a sub-directory?

If the only thing you're missing is the splash screens, it would be easy to get them replaced and you could even make your own with a little effort - all it takes is your favourite startup and shutdown pictures resized (I use Photoshop Elements) to the right size (480 x 272 pixels) and format (BMP), saved as splashw.bmp and suspendw.bmp and copying into the root directory of the 910.

80flo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis!
I backup once a week not once a month, Promise!!
But I have not played with the splash screens for possibly 6 months, Now I
realise that I have been getting the TomTom hands as a splash and I've dug deeper and realise now the hands splash is a (sort of) default screen which appears when the other files have been deleted, (I think i'm right about this!)
I searched the F: drive, zilch! Any idea where I can download the suspendw.bmp file from
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've been backing up regularly you shouldn't have lost them. You could look for them in one of the following (you'll have several backups to look through) ...
C\Docs&Settings\(Username)\MyDocs\TomTom\Home\Backups\GO\Backup01\Storage
C\Docs&Settings\(Username)\MyDocs\TomTomGO
'Course, an easier/quicker way would be to do a Search in C: for splashw.bmp and suspendw.bmp (in fact search for *w.bmp and you'll get loads including these two with just one search). Search just worked for me, then you'd simply right click on the file, select Copy, then right click on F: (the 910) and select Paste.

I'm really not sure if it's legal - let's see if a moderator will tell us - but if it comes to it, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you the two splash bmp files so long as the mod doesn't say it's breach of licence.
The 910 splash screens are a picture of a GO910 and closing is a green screen briefcase. From memory, I think the software updates added at least one of these, so I wonder what version software you've got - have you updated via TT Home recently? It may give you these.

Anyway, send me a PM with your e-mail address (DON'T post it on this thread or you'll get spammed to pieces as soon as the spammers pick up on it) and then I'll see if a Moderator says it's OK to send you the splash files.

Whilst waiting, try making a couple for yourself as I described above - they're much better - my splash is self and wife, suspend is wife with added text saying "Remember to take me with you", which is better than TT's briefcase picture.

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80flo wrote:
Now I realise that I have been getting the TomTom hands as a splash and I've dug deeper and realise now the hands splash is a (sort of) default screen which appears when the other files have been deleted, (I think i'm right about this!)
The Hands Logo isn't the Splash Screen. It's the Initial Boot Screen and appears after a Reset and/or disconnection from the PC.

If you just turn the unit Off and then On you shouldn't see the Hands Logo. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: