Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Doubtful merchantable quality
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Doubtful merchantable quality
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Doubtful merchantable quality Reply with quote

I have only arrived in this forum today and the mapping errors thread has dismayed me.

A couple of days ago the errant behaviour of TT2 nearly convinced me to return the software to Amazon and demand a refund.

So here is my question, from the perspective of UK consumer law is TomTom Navigator 2 of merchantable quality? Would I win a case in a small claims court?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What errant behaviour are you referring to, aside from the map errors, TomTom is a very stable application with many happy users.

As for the mapping errors, you must bear in mind that the map data is compiled by TeleAtlas. TomTom simply buy a license to use this data as do other companies. In the UK and Europe there are only two major data providers, TeleAtlas and Navtech and each have their share of errors.

I doubt that a court would find either TomTom or TeleAtlas in breach here as neither make any cliam as to the accuracy or completeness of the data provided nor would it be reasonable to expect any such guarantee to be provided.
jonh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> What errant behaviour are you referring to

Please see my post on screen freezes.

> TomTom simply buy a license to use this data

TomTom's sub contracting problems would be irrelevant in the eyes of the law. As a consumer my contract exists with Amazon the retailer.

The question is whether TT2 is fit for the stated purpose? I think the answer is no for all but hard core enthusiasts for whom continual tweaking of their Pocket PCs must be an all-consuming leisure activity.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replied seperately to that thead.

You may well be able to get Amazon to refund you because of the issues you have been having. I can only reiterate that the vast majority of users find it runs perectly well in most instances and your assertion that it requires constant tweaking is not borne out in reality.
jonh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I have replied separately to that thread.

Thank you for persevering with this aggrieved consumer, it is reassuring to know that my machine problems are not typical.

I would be interested to hear reports from XDA2 users.

Anyhow I will probably hang on till the new XDA2 1.6 rom arrives and will probably shell out for TT3 in the hope that it is a significant improvement.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I cannot give you a simple solution to your problems. We are trying to source an XDAII for testing purposes. All I can say is that TomTom is a great application which has proved to be resilient and stable on the majority of hardware combinations we have tested and our readers have so it is worth hanging in there!

It is possible that your issue may be helped my moving the map data to a storage card. This would return at least that much memory to the XDAII to use for processes which may resolve your particluar issue?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: pedantic? Reply with quote

As TomTom2 was designed and developed before the XDA2, maybe the XDA2 has the incompatibilities rather than the TomTom?
Carll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Problems with TT2 Reply with quote

Hi
I have had TT2 for about a week, on a Dell Axim 5, and I had some initial installation problems. Once fixed the software works like a dream.
Be careful when thinking of taking someone to court; did you get the XDA from Amazon as well, and before purchasing it confirm it worked with the XDAII?
While Amazon may just refund your money as a great retailer (personal experience only!), I think you will find that the software is of merchantable quality, and the problem lies elsewhere.
shaitan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an xdaII and been running tomtom2 on it without any issues at all, Also using poi-warner for poi notification and its the best few hundred quid ive spent recently Smile

What exact problems are you having?
shaitan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, atm I have the full uk map as well as the tomtom software on an 256mb storage card, but I was running just a 64mb map along with tomtom2 on the internal memory for a few days, again no probs.

Although installing it can be a pain, to get it detect the maps on the storage card took several reinstalls and messing about.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is fair to state that we defend TomTom at every opportunity. I think it is quite the opposite, we have been the first to highlight any shortcomings of the application itself as we do with any application we review, look at the threads on the v2.08 and v2.09 GPS drivers debacle, the map errors thread etc.

We have tried for a long while to get a hook into TomTom through which we can channel user suggestions and gripes and have to date failed. TomTom's customer support is bad but they are sadly not alone.

At a Press Launch last year I tried to explain to Navman's UK Boss the value of custom POI's and how popular these were in thos apps that supported them but he claimed that they were not a feature that Navman users had requested for inclusion and so would not be adopting them!

The simple fact is TomTom is the most popular solution and hence there is naturally more discussion of it than any other street nav software.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a TomTom thread but to comment on your quote:
Quote:
At a Press Launch last year I tried to explain to Navman's UK Boss the value of custom POI's and how popular these were in thos apps that supported them but he claimed that they were not a feature that Navman users had requested for inclusion and so would not be adopting them!

How do we as Navman users request such features?? How, when they appear not to answer support form requests, do you get them to listen?

I am sure that the majority of SmartST users would welcome the ability to add custom POIs to the database so I am surprised at his comment!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the vast majority of users would welcome custom POI support which is why I was som surprised that Navman did not recognise this Sad

As with most manufacturers, in the absence of a clear channel through which you can suggest new features I would write to or email them and post your suggestions here too as they are read.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there should be a 'Navman SmartST Wishlist' as there is one at the top of this forum for TomTom?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wish etc etc :D

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6260

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: