Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I want to Hard Wire my TT1 V3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I want to Hard Wire my TT1 V3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: I want to Hard Wire my TT1 V3 Reply with quote

Hi,

I am just about to change cars and I will have this car for 4 years. What I would like to do is get some form of 'Hard-Wired' power option rather than always have the cigarette charger in use? Is this possible?

Can I 'bastardise' my current charger that goes into the cigarette lighter to be hard-wired into my cars electrics?

FYI - Car will be a Ford S-Max

Any help greatly appreciated.

PS - I don't intent to leave my TT1 in full view for everybody to see it, I just want to tidy up the dash and not have wires all over the place. Thanks.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always hardwired my car accessories, to save that draping cable across the dashboard from the cigarette lighter.

Run a new twin cable with a "female" cig lighter on the end, into the back of the lighter using in-line connectors to the existing live and earth, this is after cutting off the "male" end of the cig lighter plug-in supplied - but adding an in-line fuse if the new add-on doesn't have one, make it accessible – normally under the glove compartment.

Now using the original "male" cigarette charger end on the Sat Nav, plug into the new "female" cig end, again where accessible.

With all cars, the route to the dashboard is the same; follow a line under the glove compartment by weaving the Sat Nav cable with other cables and clip with nylon ties, this saves dismantling the dashboard.

When up against the doorframe, prise the rubber seal gently away from the frame, feed the cable through the gap between the frame and the dash end and push the rubber seal back onto the frame, check that the cable is free and not pinched to any metal.

The next step needs a bit more care if the car has a side airbag, with a long thin screwdriver gently raise the plastic edge of the dash and feed the cable along the edge towards the front windscreen, taking care not to force or damage the airbag.

Once the cable is next to the screen, by gently pushing the cable with the screwdriver you can lose it under the sponge seal between the glass and the dash (totally hidden) until you get to the centre or wherever you require, if you wish to remove the cable later it will easily come out from under the sponge by pulling.

Halfords sell the "female" cig lighter cable and all connectors etc.
This is a very simple job and saves you at least £50 with an auto electrician.

Edited: To update instructions.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver

Last edited by GJF on Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I read your description correctly .. you are now supplying direct 12 volts to the unit ...

If I recall correctly the charger you cut of reduces the voltage to 5 volts ?? (can't check mine as "she who must be obeyed" is out with the car )

12 volts into a 5 volt system is not going to last very long .......

(hopes I'm wrong if it has already been done !! )

Smile
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been assumed that when carrying out a hardwire that is common sense to check before wiring any unit, in case it has a voltage converter built in. Just plug the adapter into an outlet and measure the voltage coming out of it.

There are converters available to place in-line.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been informed that Halfords sell a cigarette lighter plug in with a female lighter connection on the other end of the cable, by removing the male end (end to cig' lighter) and hardwiring as above, you can leave the female end somewhere accessible such as under the glove compartment and then plug in the std TT cable cig' end as normal, using the route described - but with no cables on show, still retaining the converter.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
ONLY use GLFs last post method. His original post will immediately fry your TomTom big-time!

Mods - worth allowing an edit on that post?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best method is to plug the tomtom charger into an extension lead and then hardwire the extension lead.....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: