Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice for first time use of i3 Street Pilot - Mallorca
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for first time use of i3 Street Pilot - Mallorca

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony2beemers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Advice for first time use of i3 Street Pilot - Mallorca Reply with quote

Hi all,
We are a couple of 60 year olds with very limited technical knowledge in these matters but we do enjoy using our Garmin i3 Street Pilot which was bought for me as a 60th birthday present by our daughter. So far we have used it whilst touring the shires in our caravan and it has worked a treat.

I have booked a short holiday in Mallorca commencing in March and I have hired a Ford Kia for collection at Palma airport. I am praying that the i3 will guide me to our resort which is a good hour or more from Palma airport. We will be arriving during the hours of darkness and from past experience Mallorcas roads are poorly lit.

Do any of you know if it is compatible with Mallorca? Is there anything i need to download in order to make sure that it is?

Any help or useful advice/information would be gratefully appreciated to us first timers to this great site. Thank's to Google I've found a very useful source of information.

Tony.
philai3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have full European mapping if you have V9 maps, which will include Spain. You may have to load the correct "tiles" from your DVD, since only GB/Irl is loaded by default.
Renault Scenic with inbuilt Carminat Tom-Tom April 2013
Renault Clio
Mazda MX5 2010
tony2beemers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: post topic Reply with quote

Phil,
Thanks for responding, it's much appreciated. I have a CD which came with it. If it's not too much trouble could you please explain for me the procedure you mention.

As things stand I thought it was just a question of setting it up in Mallorca like here and keying in the relevant post code for our hotel. Glad I didn't do that. Laughing Thanks again,
Tony.
philai3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

Just to clarify, do you have a CD or DVD. And what version mapping do you have? If you have version 8, you will have to upgrade to version 9 (free if your I3 was bought after 01/09/2006). If you have version 9, check out the instructions from Garmin, which MaFt has available at

http://MaFt.co.uk/garmin/load_maps.pdf

I used these and it was fairly straightforward. If you struggle, don't hesitate to ask for further help.
Renault Clio
Mazda MX5 2010
tony2beemers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: post topic Reply with quote

Hi Phile,
It comes with a USB Drivers CD Rom version 4. To be honest i haven't even registered the product. It was bought for me sometime last October. I have the yellow colured document which gives me details of how to register and the relevant information. I shall do that before i do anything else.

Thanks once more.

Tony.
tony2beemers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: post topic Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
Just a bit of an addition to the last posting of mine.

I have now registered the product, should have done it sooner. Embarassed

I guess i just wasn't expecting to be needing it abroad. I don't usually bother driving in Spain but the cost of the return taxi to our hotel was twice the cost of renting a car for 9 days.

Anyway I have completed the very easy process of registration. They will ship my V9 disc to me withing 7-10 days. Hopefully I will get it well in advance of our trip. You were spot on mate, I'd buy you a pint if we were'nt operating in cyber world. Wink

Cheers,

Tony.
tony2beemers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: post topic Reply with quote

Phil,
Just one point: I have produced here the information Garmin have supplied me with indicating what they are going to send me in the disc. Does it read right to you please?

-Mapsource Product:
City Navigator Europe NT+ v8 - Region 1 (Aus/Swt)

-Region:
City Navigator Europe NT+ v8 - Region 1 (Aus/Switz), Sept 05

I hope this makes sense to you.

Thanks again,

Tony.
tony2beemers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: post topic Reply with quote

Phil,
Sorry to be a pain, but in an email message which immediately followed the information I included in my last post they also sent me the following:-

Information about the Disk you ordered:
MapSource Product: City Navigator Europe NT v9 Deluxe Unlock
Version #: 9.00
Release Date: 9/1/2006

I'm having a problem sussing out why they have sent me two different messages. I hope this doesn't cause as much confusion to you as it does to me.

Tony.
philai3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

The Aus/Swiss products that they are supposedly sending you would appear to be useless (especially as you are going to Mallorca); in any case, Austria and Switzerland would be covered by the V9 update, which is Europe-wide. Ignore the V8 disks if they come, and just install the V9 update. Mapsource, the software that installs new maps (and a few other things, like route planning), is included on the V9 DVD. You install Mapsource, unlock your V9 update using the Garmin website, then just select which countries you want to install.
Renault Clio
Mazda MX5 2010
tony2beemers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
That's good news. Thanks for being so helpful again. I shall follow your advice to the letter.

I was up until 2.30am this morning reading through the forum, particulary about the free updates which seem to be readily available now that the December gremlins have been sorted. There appear to be an amazing number of people who understand the technological terms, I just wish I was one of them.

Thanks once again for your help.

Tony.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: