Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with TOMTOM V2 with Toshiba E350 and Pocket PC 2003
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with TOMTOM V2 with Toshiba E350 and Pocket PC 2003

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Problems with TOMTOM V2 with Toshiba E350 and Pocket PC 2003 Reply with quote

Ok here goes, I accidentally forgot about my pocket pc needing a charge the other week, and as you can guess the battery when flat as a pancake! I though this would be a good time to upgrade to Pocket PC2003. What a mistake! Here are the problems I’ve had since! First is the installation I’ve done a number of complete reset due the TomTom locking up solid, on two separate occasion I’ve loaded TomTom then gone to enter a trip to find out that there are no names in the dropdown box had to do a complete reinstall of TomTom, I’ve had the thing lock up when I switched the engine of and on again (Gone to fill up at the garage), Also the navigator has locked solid with the cursor bouncing on the screen.

Personally if anyone out there owns a Toshiba E350 don’t upgrade to Pocket PC2003 I never had these problems before!

Here are my Technical details Toshiba E350 64megs (128 SD Card with maps installed) TomTon V2.24 (361) GPS Drivers V2.09 302/393. Had to install this because the other driver did not have com port Two.. Oh well not to impressed with the reliability of this product

All the best .
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things spring to mind.

1) When you reinstalled did you install TomTom Navigator (Program) and GPS Driver to Main Memory ? If no, and you installed to the storage card along with the maps, uninstall, soft reset and reinstall the whole lot, splitting them accordingly. This can and does create a lot of lockups.

2) Check your memory applet and see how much you have available before running TomTom. If you have re-installed other apps, it maybe that you are getting low on memory (below 12mb)

3) Lockups can be due to storage card issues, running a defrag, or formatting the card and re-installing maps (or copying them back) may help a little.
dogo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, The main application and the GPS driver is installed to the main memory, with just the maps installed on the SD Card.

2 This is how my memory read before running TomTom

Program Allocated 41,34MB
In Use 11,93MB
Free 29,41MB

When TomTom is in use it changes to

Program Allocated 41,34MB
In Use 15,26MB
Free 26,08MB

The SD card was formated before installing the maps so i dont belive i have an issue with the card being Fraged!
dogo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! its now really beginning to get to me! This piece of software is of no use to me on a pocket PC! 2003 Today I was driving along just having the navigator running in the background to see if I can get a stable running version, and you guess it! the dam thing crashed straight back to the home screen, i don’t believe it to be a problem with the GPS drivers as they still running, and you can look at the screen to see that it still running OK, it would appear that the navigator/map is crashing out!

any ideas..

Dogo

Oh what i would give to go back to Pocket PC 2002
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogo wrote:
Oh what i would give to go back to Pocket PC 2002

Have you checked that the upgrade program doesn't allow you to do that? The iPAQ upgrade kits allow you to move freely between Pocket PC 2002 and Pocket PC 2003 - though I've no idea about the Toshiba.

David
dogo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraid not! the upgrade program also made no backup of the original Rom! so im stuck with Pocket Pc 2003 :-(
dogo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update!

Ok this program still crashes for No Reason.. but last night I could not get the main navigator program to come up! although i could get the GPS driver part to run.. so i set of to explore the SD card. and found that i could not see any type of files. This included the PocketPC machine. I had to do a Cold reset. as the soft reboot done nowt! maybe this is the problem any ideas as to what could be causing this

cheers for any info

Darren
allyourbasekris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Downgrading to PPC 2003 Reply with quote

Okay, this worked for me, however you could end up turning your beloved ppc to a brick.

As long as you have a copy of the ppc 2003 upgrade cd then you should have a ppc 2002 rom.

If you don't then you need to track one down.

then all you need to do is examine the program that actually flashes your rom and rename the 2003 rom to something else.
copy the 2002 rom into the directory of your flasher program and rename
the 2002 rom to the orginal name of the 2003 rom. If the program spits out an error message then you might need to delve in the murky world of hexediting. Hope this helps any questions please e-mail me on allyourbasekris AT yahoo.co.uk
allyourbasekris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: forget to mention Reply with quote

If you don't have a copy of ppc2002 then you might be able to recreate one from the toshiba rom update. Try downloading it and extracting it using a program like Winrar rather than letting it unizp itself. Examine the insides of the extracted folder and look for a file that is about 16 megs (the reason I'm so vague is that I did this on an Ipaq rather than toshiba)
This should in theory be a complete image of the ppc2002 os for the toshiba.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very careful carrying over experience of the iPAQ to the Toshiba. There's no standardisation between manufacturers on ROM updates - each handles it in their own way.

The iPAQ Pocket PC 2003 upgraders are very nice - there's three buttons. One is cancel, the second is Pocket PC 2002 -> Pocket PC 2003, and the third Pocket PC 2003 -> Pocket PC 2002. There's no need to mess around finding ROMs or similar; they already include the most up to date Pocket PC 2002 ROM. I went 2002 -> 2003 -> 2002 (driver issues on 2003, chose to return to 2002 and wait for a while) -> 2003 (driver issues now solved, and 2003, I find, is a much better OS) on my iPAQ 3970.

If you cobble together something you think will downgrade to Pocket PC 2002, and it goes wrong, you'll probably 'brick' the Pocket PC and you might find no way to get it back into operation apart from paying for an expensive repair.

David
dogo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise. Looking on the PocketPC 2002 CD and the Pocket PC2003 CD there is no image file for the pocket PC2002.. so it does not look like i can go down that path Crying or Very sad

but once again thanks for the advise

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: