Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Event Logger or TripMaster
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Event Logger or TripMaster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jzerocsk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Event Logger or TripMaster Reply with quote

It looks like these two programs offer a lot of the same features. Which do you prefer to use? Or do you use both together?
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Mikealder and AndyP2002's suggestions, I've been using TripMaster for the last week or so with fantastic results.

The TripMaster documentation is much better than that of the Event Logger in my opinion. If you opt for the Even Logger, I'd be very interested to hear about your experience with it.

I suspect that which one you go for will depend on exactly what you are trying to do with the data.
jzerocsk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Toneloc. Yesterday I popped in TripMaster. Event_Logger seems powerful, but it also seems to be lacking a GUI. I'm most interested in how long my trip took, how much time was spent stopped at lights or in traffic and perhaps where I get stopped (does TripMaster make a log entry when speed = 0?). TripMaster conveniently displays all that information. Going by Event_Logger's documentation, I think you need to analyze the log file to get any information.

I will probably try Event_Logger int the next week or so just to see, but I will probably stick with TripMaster, too.

I'll post up if/when I try it.
Arimus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

event_logger and tripmaster are (IMHO) designed for different purposes.

Tripmaster is for 'live' trip information in addition to logging. event_logger is designed purely for post-trip analysis. I know at one point (not sure sure what the state is now) one used the tomtom corrected position (ie gps location snapped to the road) and one didn't - sadly a day of fiddling with various computers and radios has fried the brain cell in charge of remembering which is which.
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TripMaster actually lets you choose whether to log the actual or snapped coordinates. I don't know about EventLogger.

jzerocsk: I forgot to mention that the new TM1.6d seems a bit dodgy, in that several of the buttons in the setup menu don't seem to work as well as on 1.6c. Of course, it could have just been me...If you have any difficulty with the newer release, you may want to consider loading 1.6c instead.
runarg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which buttons give you problems? For me all the buttons in Setup works fine, and I have used it a lot.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who wrote TripMaster is VERY approachable and up for new ideas/suggestions. He hangs out HERE.
jzerocsk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toneloc427 wrote:
TripMaster actually lets you choose whether to log the actual or snapped coordinates. I don't know about EventLogger.

Both programs currently allow both settings.
Arimus, I think you have nicely summed up the difference between the two!
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runarg: Just loaded the 1.6d release on my personal 700, and all the buttons worked flawlessly. Must have just been the other unit wasn't as sensitive at the edges of the screen. My apologies for falsely faulting the software! Embarassed
pmcadams
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also used event logger up until recently, one function it had that I like very much was the one button which created a new waypoint of your current postion.

As in, no searching through menus or the map or in the preferences and having to tap ok on a few screens.

As a coach driver it just means pulling up to a location I want to return to, hitting the button and forgetting about it. Then when the passengers wander off for a few hours, I create a new POI in my work category with the correct name.

But I use tripmaster now as I feel it suits me better as the tracklog manager from the event logger had to be manually stopped every time I had plugged it into TT Home. Plus I am fussy an getting used to a GUI.

If anyone finds any other programs that do this let us all know, cause I am sure there is more than just me wanting this!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: