Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i've found a way to backup sd card to new card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i've found a way to backup sd card to new card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How did you unlock the map without a product code, my ma Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Where was the map pre-loaded to? the card or the device. if its the later then I can understand to some extent why you can "copy" the cards contents

I'm sure Mike's hit the nail on the head!

Since there is so much variation in the way different i3s operate now it's going to make it very difficult to offer advice to other users! Sad
Samsung Galaxy S21
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Where was the map pre-loaded to? the card or the device. if Reply with quote

i believe my i3 is of the older type with the preloaded map on micro sd card,and since then i believe that supplier i bought off(computer fair)only buys old stock from suppliers that overstocked,so he can sell them cheap£90.00 i paid.but as for the yellow slip i don't know whether this is an old thing or new thing but i'm sure i read something on these forums that somebody else had one and didn't know what its use was Smile
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried.

The i3 has the computer icons with 'please load the software...'
Metrowiz could not find the device on the USB connection, so could not upload.

Reloaded drivers and it finds it and uploaded the file, but still get the computer icon.

Anyone want to buy a 1GB Transflash card ?? :-)
rjm67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been following this post closely as I managed to overwrite my pre-installed maps on my first I3. As I have a second I3 for the girlfriend, I thought I could get it sorted ok. I thought I'd got it sussed over the weekend when I used Mapsource to create a new map set and download it to the I3. I was still getting the message about planning the routes on the PC, but if I held the scroll wheel down I got all the maps, favourites and everything ok. Sadly, when I came to use it the other night, the route it gave me only vaguely followed the actual roads. It was a bit like a child highlighting the route. The car's position and the roads were right though. Very dissapointed not to have got it sorted, and fairly peed off with Garmin that there is nothing obvious in the manual about losing the pre-programmed data if you try to add more maps. They haven't been to helpful when I've contacted them. Never mind, it's a good job my sense of direction isn't too bad anyhow.
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjm67

This elreco chap is one of the lucky ones who can copy we are not.
The cards and maps on them for the rest of us are locked to the machines.

If you had a backup of your maps then you can just copy them back with a card reader.

Other wise. did you keep the other files on the card , the .unl file for example. Hopefully you did. Garmin are offering a free upgrade to Maps V8 from Maps V7 to v8 so you should be able to send your card back and get v8 maps on it. Only thing I have a hunch they use the .unl file to know how to lock the maps they send but I may be wrong.
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: The i3 has the computer icons with 'please load the software Reply with quote

welshgasman,if you have a card reader connected at the same time as your gps in metrowizz it will not find it for some reason,close metrowizz disconnect your card reader,connect your gps,then restart metrowizz then find device,hopefully this will work for you (good luck) Laughing
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic maybe, but why is the number of posts for this thread going DOWN on the topic forum page.?

I am sure it is was in its 40's when I sarted looking. Now it is in its 20s and was in its 30s the other day.

I use that number to see if any new posts have happened.
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elraco1,

Thanks but I managed to get it to load, but the i3 still asks you to use the software to load the maps with the new card.
AndyInTheUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to keep this thread going with my first post, but I've not long purchased an i3 and started subscribing, but have gained an interest in this thread after reading that a fair number of peeps run out of space for pois, and i considered using a bigger card.

I have a yellow slip in my box with what says is an unlock code and has the lovely 25 digits mentioned earlier for my i3. Is this not the code needed to put on a new micro sd card in order for this transfer to work?

Cheers

Andy
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyInTheUK wrote:
Sorry to keep this thread going with my first post, but I've not long purchased an i3 and started subscribing, but have gained an interest in this thread after reading that a fair number of peeps run out of space for pois, and i considered using a bigger card.

I have a yellow slip in my box with what says is an unlock code and has the lovely 25 digits mentioned earlier for my i3. Is this not the code needed to put on a new micro sd card in order for this transfer to work?

Cheers

Andy

You should have enough space for the safety cams and MaFt's POI's on the 256 MicroSD card.

In my case, when registering my unit, the unlock code told me I had unlocked France but it turned out that I had bought a French version of the i3 which had been adapted for use in the UK by Garmin, to satisfy demand.
Curious
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This code is usually used if you have the City Select / City Navigator / TOPO etc etc loaded on your PC and you can unlock certain / all regions using Garmins Mapsource.
theblueowl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: what to do next Reply with quote

Sad
Help I have attempted the backup on my C310 maps card to a larger 2gb card but unfortunately without result as the unit stated cant unlock maps and to please use provided PC software to load maps, which I never received as they were pre-loaded onto the sd card. My Garmin C310 now only shows main roads and not streets? can anyone tell me how to restore the Garmin unit or how to get the street level mapping back as I am using the original card received with the unit and have not written any data to this card?

Hope someone can help as I did not receive any code slip in the box and therefore are unable to register with Garmin

Regards in advance

Crying or Very sad
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you made a backup of the original card. Did you copy all the files of the card. Have you done anything to the original card ie deleted or added files?

I have deleted(by accident) my i3 card but I had made a backup and used copy and paste and reinstated from the backup and everything was fine(phew!),but if waht you say you haven't touched the original card then I am at a loss. It is possible you could have a faulty card in which case you will have to contact Garmin
theblueowl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: More info Reply with quote

Sad Don’t think that it is a fault as the mapping was ok until I attempted elraco1 suggestion for backing up my supplied maps for my Garmin Streetpilot C310. The unit still works fine with the original card but I have lost all low level street names i.e. main roads are shown on the map but closes and side streets are not labelled as they were before I transferred the copied files to the unit using ( metrowizz ). guess it’s my own fault.
Is there any suggestions on how the C310 can be flashed ? or reset to manufacture settings? have emailed Garmin but don’t expect to get a reply any time soon as these places are not very good at customer support.

If anyone can offer any advice as to what I may be able to do to rectify this problem of side streets no longer being ladled.

The original card supplied with the unit has no been altered or saved on to.

Cheers in advance

Shane Crying or Very sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin are normaly very good from a customer support point of view, one other suggestion though have you reset the device?

The instructions are on page 28 of the manual:
1/ Place your thumb nail in the groove located under the Garmin logo on the face plate.
2/ Gently pull off the face plate.
3/ Press the reset button.
4/ Turn the unit back on and it should opperate normaly

If you need to view the manual please click HERE if that fails I would give them a ring and sort out sending the device back - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: