Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Beginner’s Guide
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginner’s Guide
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miffy2007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: speed camera install Reply with quote

hi,

my dad just just bought a garmin 310 and wants to put on speed camera info. maybe i'm being dense but no matter which format i try no matter where i put the files the poiloader just doesn't seem to do a thing. i've tried popping the files straight onto the thing (various folders in various formats) but the 310 remains custom poi free - it will not recognise that i've changed anything. i'm out of ideas.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, unzip/ extract the files from the download to a known folder on the PC.
Next use POILoader to install the camera files to the device, point the POILoader application at the folder on the PC containing the speed cameras, make sure you select the unit of measurement to MPH (or your warnings will be too low in speed - default is KPH - so make sure this is changed) - Mike
Tetsujin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this may be answered elsewhere, but I can't find it if so.

Your first post at the head of this thread gives camera types etc, but in the file names there are extra types, judging by the letter in the names. Could you possibly clarify these for me. My old iQue3600 struggles if there are too many POIs in it, so I want to slim down to just the ones relevant to me.

The ones I can figure out are, for e.g.
30-G-xxx etc = Gatso
M = mobile
R = redlight
S = Specs
T = Truvelo

but...
F = ?
N = ?

Also, what are the ones with zero speed? The ones with a question mark are obvious - we're not sure yet, but zero?

Thanks for your help.
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere there is a thread regarding the iQue but as I cannot find it [even though I am the author]!!!!

Oh here it is:-
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18387&highlight=ique+3600

My general finding was that the iQue cannot cope with 11,000 points so it is easier to use the 'overlay' database.
All 11,000 camera locations can be added in 2minutes [twice a month] without worrying about the number of locations or the slow redraw on the unit!

I use the overlay on my iQue 3600 and find it so convenient.
However it only gives a visual warning on the unit. This is no problem for me as I hate the audible warnings!

If you need further help post here!
Tetsujin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply.

I'm already familiar with Birdwatch, WayQue & how to import waypoints into Palm Desktop etc. Although from my posts (currently 1 + this one:-) it looks like I'm a total newbie, I've actually been around on here for years, off & on. I used to be logged as another name, back in the old 'free' days, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was - probably wiped long ago.

I do remember very clearly your method for squeezing one format into the other - truly useful, I would never have figured it out on my own, although I had to re-read it every month to get it through my thick skull ! - much simpler now we have a file that will import directly into MapSource.

I've never tried the overlays before, so I'm giving it a go now - although I actually DO like the audible warning from Birdwatch, it saves me from having to constantly check the screen whilst I'm driving (although I do use 'Hotspot', as beeps drive me nuts too)

BTW, on another subject entirely - it seems to be impossible to get the iQue to store a couple of most-used maps internally & the rest on the SD card. Have you found this to be true? it just seems like it would be faster that way. Even though I went the whole hog & bought a 3rd gen, 160x speed card, it's still way faster from the internal, but not big enough for all the UK.
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'overlay' is two maptiles in Mapsource sent to the unit during 'HotSync' and put into the internal memory [otherwise you will overwrite the detailed maps]

The overlay takes 5 minutes/month for both database uploads compared to 30 minutes of fooling about with the 'old' method!

You can put some maptiles into the internal memory [especially a large city area] and these will redraw far quicker! I found that loading the London area internally had advantages until CityNavigator was launched with huge maptiles [it would need 34MB for all the M25]

On another forum we proved that too big a selection of maps would slow the unit down and was a waste of time. Load what you need for 48 weeks of the year and have another SD card for your holiday visits. Loading the extra basemaps to the SD card had a bad effect on the unit!
Tetsujin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been struggling a bit with all this - used to be fine until I started tweaking it - isn't that always the case;-)
But what you say interests me. I've always kept the whole of mainland UK on the card, together with the worldwide basemap 3.01

How much of a performance hit do you think i'm making for myself? or should that be OK? Go back to the original basemap?

BTW, although I've got the overlay in the internal memory, I'm not seeing any evidence of this onscreen. Do you have any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tetsujin wrote:
30-G-xxx etc = Gatso
M = mobile
R = redlight
S = Specs
T = Truvelo

but...
F = ?
N = ?

Been racking my brain over this... (the TomTom format is easy to understand - each camera is called GATSO:1234@30 or TRUVELO:5678@40 etc.)
I can add one more type to your list... "Temp" for temporary roadworks cameras. But whether that is the "T" or Truvelo is, I don't know!

Quote:
Also, what are the ones with zero speed? The ones with a question mark are obvious - we're not sure yet, but zero?

That one is easy. The '0' is for Variable speed cameras, such as those in the M25 gantries, which are switched on when the variable speed limits come into force in bad weather, congestion etc.
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tetsujin wrote:

BTW, although I've got the overlay in the internal memory, I'm not seeing any evidence of this onscreen. Do you have any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong?

Preferences-Maps-Detailed Maps- Top 2 are to be ticked!
Preferences-Maps-Marine-Navaids- select zoom level for viewing [it may be off]
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Tetsujin wrote:
30-G-xxx etc = Gatso
M = mobile
R = redlight
S = Specs
T = Truvelo

but...
F = ?
N = ?

Been racking my brain over this... (the TomTom format is easy to understand - each camera is called GATSO:1234@30 or TRUVELO:5678@40 etc.)
I can add one more type to your list... "Temp" for temporary roadworks cameras. But whether that is the "T" or Truvelo is, I don't know!

Quote:

That one is easy. The '0' is for Variable speed cameras, such as those in the M25 gantries, which are switched on when the variable speed limits come into force in bad weather, congestion etc.

T = Temporary
F = Truvelo (F for 'Forward Facing')
N = Monitron (M already used for Mobile...)

0 = variable (like the M25 cameras)

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now forever to be known to me as "Nonitrons" :D
freedie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have a Medion PNA510T.
Can I load the database onto that system?
ALL help appreciated; especially anything I do not know about the navigation unit. So that's everything then!
mowgow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Synchronising help needed please! Reply with quote

Has anybody else come across this "problem". I'm calling it a "problem" because I don't understand what is being asked of me (or why it is necessary) - but to somebody else may be screamingly obvious.

I have a TomTom ONE Great Britain and am trying to synchronise a Speed Camera POI program thingy which I've paid good money for and downloaded. However, as well as all my other details (of which I'm surprised didn't include the contents of my packed lunch box from 1985) it is telling me that I cannot synchronise because;
"The Given Username Doesn't Exist" What the hell does this mean please? I have found where I need to put it, but I have no idea what username it is referring to and where I find this obviously vital piece of information (if it were that vital, surely, it would be highlighted somewhere). Anyway, sorry to sound angry, but I'm tired of having to do fiddly operations with programs whose instruction manual starts with "Simply download and synchronise and off you go"!
Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Synchronising help needed please! Reply with quote

mowgow wrote:
Has anybody else come across this "problem". I'm calling it a "problem" because I don't understand what is being asked of me (or why it is necessary) - but to somebody else may be screamingly obvious.

I have a TomTom ONE Great Britain and am trying to synchronise a Speed Camera POI program thingy which I've paid good money for and downloaded. However, as well as all my other details (of which I'm surprised didn't include the contents of my packed lunch box from 1985) it is telling me that I cannot synchronise because;
"The Given Username Doesn't Exist" What the hell does this mean please? I have found where I need to put it, but I have no idea what username it is referring to and where I find this obviously vital piece of information (if it were that vital, surely, it would be highlighted somewhere). Anyway, sorry to sound angry, but I'm tired of having to do fiddly operations with programs whose instruction manual starts with "Simply download and synchronise and off you go"!
Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you.
Can you give us a clue about what particular piece of software we are discussing?

At a guess the message "The Given Username Doesn't Exist" means that you are entering a Username that doesn't exist. Most UserNames and passwords are case sensitive, are you sure that you are typing the username exactly as you did when you registered?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
fariji
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: hi... Reply with quote

jus want to ask how to install the files to tomtom.i have download the files but unzip with winrar...now all i can see is two folders.please can you tell me wich files from in there i have to put in the tomtom? Idea Idea thanx

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 21 of 33

Jump to: