Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Two traffic updates for Nuvi (and possible others)....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Two traffic updates for Nuvi (and possible others)....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have suffered the same fate with the "greyed" out box ever since I upgraded to GTM SW ver3.90.

Spoke to Garmin today who suggested rolling back to an earlier firmware version. I did this but the GTM software doesn't roll back, even with a very early firmware version installation. Garmin couldn't supply a stand alone update for the GTM and suggested I wait for a fix to a "known problem"
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would confirm the findings of peaton above. If you change the Traffic Provider to TM TMC the Garmin seems to sort itself out. This may not be immediate but it seemed to be OK the following day.

I still do not pick up any traffic information in this area but I'm not logging onto Classic FM any more (so far).
peaton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

erniesone wrote:
I would confirm the findings of peaton above. If you change the Traffic Provider to TM TMC the Garmin seems to sort itself out. This may not be immediate but it seemed to be OK the following day.

Unfortunately this was not so successfully on a trip down the M40 / A40 to London. I started off with traffic data but slowly it all expired and no more was forthcoming. I got intermittent green light but no data. I started to get data on the NCR but only saw a couple of entries before the orange light came on. On the way home I could only get data by forcing the unit to re-scan for providers. It was green light and grey icon all the way up to Oxford even though it was set to Tm TMC. When I was closer to London I noticed another provider had been detected, 100.9 FM.
benjones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long do you think it will take for Garmin to fix this issue? Are they normally very responsive to critical issues with firmware updates?
peaton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what to expect from Garmin. When I talked to them last week they claimed to be unaware of any issue and suggested I send in my GTM21 for testing.
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: update Reply with quote

Peaton
Quote:
When I was closer to London I noticed another provider had been detected, 100.9 FM

From what you indicate the GPS may not automatically be locking onto Classic FM. Was it actually downloading useless messages from 100.9FM?

Getting Traffic Messages is still very ''hit & miss'', unless we go for another aerial solution, but if you got some messages TM TMC may be working as well as it is going to.
peaton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: update Reply with quote

erniesone wrote:
Was it actually downloading useless messages from 100.9FM?

I still had the provider set to Tm TMC when 100.9 FM appeared on the list. I selected it manually but returned it to Tm TMC after a few minutes when no data appeared.
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaton

I made the same mistake when 100.1Mhz option appeared on my Provided list (I assumed Garmin would only list providers the Nuvi could use).

Stick with TM TMC. Other than that we either wait for the industry to get the system working or try one of the home-made aerial options.

I have asked Garmin if they will exchange my GTM12 for the GTM10 aerial (to try and to connect to the car aerial (UV treated windscreen) - but no reply yet.
peaton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erniesone wrote:
Stick with TM TMC. Other than that we either wait for the industry to get the system working or try one of the home-made aerial options.

I am aware that Tm TMC is the best option but as you are aware it is not always available.
Changing the aerial is unlikely to resolve this issue, it is still going to grab the wrong provider if is has a stronger signal. My GTM21 is directly connected to an amplified roof aerial. This modification certainly improves the signal strength giving me a green light in areas where it was previously not possible.
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaton
Quote:
Changing the aerial is unlikely to resolve this issue, it is still going to grab the wrong provider if is has a stronger signal.

I can only confirm my Nuvi logged onto the strongest local signal when I manually set the Provider to Classic FM or to TMC_TMC.

Since changing the Provider to TM TMC (RAC LIVE not yet an option - I guess this depends which transmitter name they use) the Nuvi has ignored the stronger Classic FM signal and picks up the RAC traffic information when I am in the right area.

I will investigate attaching the GMT12 to the car aerial unless Garmin come through with a GMT10 for me.
marksnsparks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my point of view, I could get RAC Live before the firmware upgrade. This gave me a fairly good flow of traffic messages. Now I get no messages at all. The cause can't just be the data channels available unless these have stopped transmission, can it?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same trouble, prior to update my unit used to receive TMC data in and around my local area with a signal strength of anything above the value 5. Since upgrading I see a signal strength of 25 to 36 in my local area and no messages.
I can only think Garmin have altered the signal strength meter scale AND as a result increased the threshold at which the unit receives data, in other words they have effectively "squelched out" the previously seen data.
Nothing else apart from the software on my device has changed, when I get a chance to drive closer to the local transmitter I will see if the signal strength increases and try and work out which value it works above - Mike
peaton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksnsparks wrote:
The cause can't just be the data channels available unless these have stopped transmission, can it?

My assumption is that the older version of the firmware ignored the unsuitable providers, therefore if it got any signal at all it was good. Now we have to do the filtering ourselves by manually selecting the appropriate provider. IE: Tm TMC or RAC Live
northender
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried rolling back my firmware (Nuvi310) to v3.30 & then to v3.20, but the GTM software version remains at v3.90, so this avenue isn't open to fix the problem.
I've managed to get a signal level of up to 48 but no traffic messages, so it's over to Garmin to fix the problem they created with this latest software version.
hassoon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused
also upgraded to v.3.90 daily journey from dishforth(scotch corner) to doncaster all messages with this new version dried up ? used to get some messages when near leeds, started to get new warning 'no message from current provider for some time, do you want to change' ? not seen that before. Just can't seem to identify any pattern here gtm status 'level 30 - 55' message count in the jouney one way around 900, i guess these are non compatable messages from other providers ? also just for the record the provider is set to auto ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: