Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Two traffic updates for Nuvi (and possible others)....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Two traffic updates for Nuvi (and possible others)....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry folks but but my Nuvi 360 locks onto Classic FM and downloads a lot of traffic data which the Nuvi cannot use (details a few submissions ago).

This evening I went over to the closest RAC transmitter (Mercia FM) and was able to lock on and receive valid data. However, in the menu I still do not have the option of using RAC LIVE.

Back home again and the Nuvi again locks onto 126, which is 100.1 Classic FM, and download useless data. The FM channel quoted 102.6Mhz and later 970Mhz.

I can only guess that the download has messed up the FM tables of codes and checks and unless the RAC / Trafficmaster is the strongest signal we are going to have problems getting traffic messages.

Check your Traffic setup (in setup under Display menu). If the Provider is on Auto and you have the option to change to RAC LIVE - do so. My option is limited to TMC_INFO now and unless Garmin sort it I have problems.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torchie wrote:
Could it be possible the network is being expanded to include data from Classic FM ?
No, they couldn't, for many reasons (licensing and technology limitations to name but two).
PlaneApart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I too have had the same problems of locking on to Classic FM with tons of data, which Nuvi is unable to display.

My advice would be when receiving a popup asking if you want to set auto - Don't!

I've found a temp fix around this, but unfortunately you'll need to repeat it every time you power up.

From the GTM Status page, as soon as the first data appears, quickly select Test. This appears to stop the Channel scan. It obviously helps if you know which channel in your area normally gives you good traffic. If you don't get the correct one straight away, Select Norm, then Test again immediately, until you get the Channel you gives you Traffic data. If it selects the Classic Channel and won't let go, disconnect external power momentarily and then try again.

Once you get the channel which gives you data, it appears to lock onto it - until you disconnect external power. If you select Norm again, you may get Classic FM back if the comparable signal is much stronger, but leaving it on Test works ok. Not sure what happens if you leave area of this transmitter and it starts to search for a stronger one. I'll let you know when I find out.

Anybody told Garmin about this problem yet, as it'll obviously need a new software upgrade - again! Yawn

Richard
bobison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I have just purchased a GTM12 and while my Nuvi 350 recognises it I am getting the message "Traffic data not available". Has anyone had this problem and how do I get to the hidden pages, mentioned in this forum, to see signal strength.

Thanks

Bob
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobison,

Getting the Traffic messages is the major problem if you are not in a strong transmitter area.

To get the hidden information, from the Map screen, press the Speed box, then the central upper box - Moving Ave - for about 8 seconds. Press Next 6 times and you are there.

Just be careful what other boxes you press as we are not quite sure what they do.
bobison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Thanks for the info on hidden pages. Using the display I have found that I can get a great signal in my house with the Nuvi powered from my PC but it won't work using the car charger. Crying or Very sad
But I really appreciate your help.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobison wrote:
Crying or Very sad I have just purchased a GTM12 and while my Nuvi 350 recognises it I am getting the message "Traffic data not available".
What is the serial number of the car charging cable - if it ends in 6017 then contact Garmin and ask for a new car charging cable which works with the GTM12 - they should then send you one that ends in 6025, which will give you the best chance of working TMC.

If you have this, and you have applied all firmware / GTM updates, then chances are you are simply in a bad reception area unfortunately Sad
phee272
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: road angel Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
I,ve just downloaded and confirm there are no update notes that show in Webupdater.

When I go to System / About the version info still shows 3.70 for the GTM SW version. I went back to the webupdater and the update to 3.90 had disappeared so I assume it copied ok to my Nuvi. Can anyone else confirm that 3.90 does display in the settings screen.

please help i've just got my girlfriend a road angel 6000 can you please tell me if this model comes with traffic info? or if it doesn't can traffic info be put on this model? thanks again mate kind regards peter
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are best asking in the TMC section of these forums, rather than within a thread dedicated to the Garmin GTM21 unit.

Having said that, I think the answer is no.
torchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="benjones"]
torchie wrote:
Hi

That's interesting and would explain why my 660 worked initially. How do you know they've changed their codes?

Prior to this update I had 4 entries in the FM Table 3 from Classic FM and one from XFM Scotland, the validation code for XFM was 4 & 2 of CFM were 11 the other was 3 this has changed, all are 4.

I also see the provider screen no longer displays RAC-LIVE as this has been changed to Tm TMC & TMC_INFO the latter relates to CFM and is the one that seems to be causing our new problem as for me this is the strongest signal which was ignored before the change.
peaton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torchie wrote:
I also see the provider screen no longer displays RAC-LIVE as this has been changed to Tm TMC & TMC_INFO the latter relates to CFM and is the one that seems to be causing our new problem as for me this is the strongest signal which was ignored before the change.

I think it is TMC_INFO that is my problem. It never showed up before the 3.90 upgrade. My receiver is set to auto, I will try manually selecting Tm TMC tomorrow to see if that improves things.
peaton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote:
I think it is TMC_INFO that is my problem. It never showed up before the 3.90 upgrade. My receiver is set to auto, I will try manually selecting Tm TMC tomorrow to see if that improves things.

I tested setting the receiver to use Tm TMC. It made a big difference. Now I am back to receiving traffic info.
I initially got a warning that I was not receiving traffic data and did I want to set the device to auto. I declined and after a short period I got data. It looks like I am more or less where I was before the 3.90 upgrade. I assume I may have to change the manual setting occasionally if I travel further afield, I have seen the other providers like RAC-LIVE and TMC-LIVE show up before. It is an acceptable compromise. I would however like Garmin to provide a solution to stop the device selecting providers it can not use, like before the upgrade from 3.70.
I did speak to Garmin about the problem, this was before I tried the manual setting. We went through the 'where is your aerial' and 'what type of windscreen' questions. The person was not aware of any problem such as mine and has requested I send the GTM21 in for testing. They are unable to send another one out as they have none. They offered a loan of a standard power cable to allow me to continue to use the GPS in the interim. I am concerned that there will not appear to be anything wrong if the correct provider has a stronger signal where they test and is therefore auto selected. As it is working on manual I think I will not send it for testing. Perhaps a 4.xx upgrade is on the way.
I hope my ramblings are of some use to other forum users with similar issues.
Trafficman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since I updated the GTM firmware last week my Traffic has died. The ' ! ' is permanently greyed out contrary to what it says on the diagnostic page Sad . I'm getting sick of this...
northender
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also got the same problem with a Nuvi310.
Since updating the firmware to v3.90 a few days ago, my GTM12 worked the first time following upgrade, but not a sausage since.
My "i" is also permanently greyed out now whereas using 3.70 I had no trouble receiving traffic data at all.
I've tried both Auto & TMC_INFO, but neither works so far.
I think I was on RAC Live previously but didn't take much notice as I hadn't a problem !!!!!

I only have a back up of the 310 when I bought it on 18th December, so not sure whether to re-build it, or wait to see if someone comes up with a fix?
PlaneApart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried my previous suggestion today on a journey from Bournemouth to Exeter. Worked ok initially, but then not much in the Honiton/Exeter area, which I know was previously ok. So I accepted the "would you like to accept auto" suggestion, and lo and behold, traffic appeared.

I left it on auto for the rest of the journey, and the return, but on getting close to Bournemouth, it unfortunately selected Classic FM 100.3 again, with lots of data, but no traffic, so back to square 1.

So is it a Classic FM fault?

Another way around I've discovered is, if you have one of those mini FM transmitters (now legal) for listening to your IPod on your car radio, select the problem frequency - in my case 100.3 - and it makes the Nuvi look for something else. After a while I switched the transmitter off, and all ok.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: