Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What's the best PPC combo for in car use?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the best PPC combo for in car use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilldog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: What's the best PPC combo for in car use? Reply with quote

I just sold my Lexus that had Sat Nav which I never rated, but now it's gone I miss it! I've been reading everything on this site and I've reached a dead end Crying or Very sad.

I need some advice, please help!!!

What I've got:
A 3 series BMW and an iPAQ 2210

What I want:
I hate cables and it must look neat
No re-charging every day (I drive a lot)
Something reliable

What I'm considering:
Looked a Holux CF card - concerned whether it will work bolted to the dash - if I use the additional antenna will it work inside the car?
....or A Bluetooth device that can be wired-in somewhere for power (and doesn't break Wink )
...or A mouse style that works with my 2210 via a cable
....and TomTom N2 software looks like the best bet.

If anyone has views or experience that can help me decide, I'd grateful of your input. BTW, great site!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2210, TTNav2 with TT BT GPS and cradle hard wired to 12v supply and a Brodit cradle. It is IMHO the best solution. Brodit cradle provides power to 2210, TT BT Cradle ensures GPS is always charged and switched the receiver on/off with the ignition Thumbs Up
Incidentally, my TT BT GPS failed shortly after I got it. At that time I was charging it using a mains charger. The replacement ahs always been charged using the in-car cradle and has been going strong for 3 months so either they have resolved the issue that used to affect the unit or using the cradle does not break it!
Dilldog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren.

What about security? Is your receiver in view from outside the car or hidden away?

I'd like to just be able to leave mine in place 90% of the time with the option to use it in my wife's car occasionally...

I guess I just want everything :D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dilldog,

I have a spaghetti system of wires as I have an iPAQ 3970 that sits in the generic windscreen-suckered TomTom PDA mount and it is connected to a wired TomTom GPS mouse on the dashboard. I also have a Bel Euro 550 radar detector mounted on a windscreen sucker, and a Morpheous Geodesy that just sits on the dash.

As far as security is concerned, I remove the PDA, radar detector, and Geodesy and push all of their mounts together and place an old baseball cap over them (the mounts). The only thing that you can see is the radar detector windscreen mount and the small silver TomTom GPS mouse (which could also be hidden under the baseball cap).

I try to leave the vehicle as “sterile” as possible so that anybody looking in from outside would think that there’s nothing in it worth the hassle of breaking in. The baseball cap trick does work, especially if the cap is a “low street cred” one, that’s not worth any money so it doesn’t arouse interest. Wink

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Wizzo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billdog,

I have just started out on the gps road. I have had a Pocket
pc for some years now and when i upgraded to a 5550 I had to find a use for BT Laughing As I drive a lot gps was the way to go after spending some months figuring out what to buy I have just got the clip-on BT.
Its now tucked away in the boot of my car. I purchased an antenna for the clip-on which is tucked away under the top boot lip so it can't been seen. For software I have tomtom which works very well.
Now all I have to remember is to take my ipaq out of its holder when I get out of the car Wink

Mick.
EliseMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my 2210 with Holux CF card, for just over a week, the CF card works fine in my work van (using a window mount) bought a CF card as I want to be able to easily transfer to my other car. All in all I'm pleased with it. I power it from the ciggie lighter though so do have a cable one the dash, not a big prob...

Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilldog wrote:
Thanks Darren. What about security? Is your receiver in view from outside the car or hidden away? I'd like to just be able to leave mine in place 90% of the time with the option to use it in my wife's car occasionally...
I guess I just want everything :D

The receiver (TomTom BT GPS) is in view on the dash top but it can be undocked from its cradle in seconds and hidden. The PPC is in a cradle high on the dash as that is where I prefer it but it too can be slid out of the mount quickly or you could mount it lower down.

Regardless of where you mounted it you would be strongly advised to remove it or hide it in a glovebox if you are away from the vehicle. If a car can be breoken into for a couple of pound coinds in the center console then leaving a PPC in view is asking for trouble Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: