Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Whole new set-up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Whole new set-up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scwheeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Whole new set-up Reply with quote

Firstly hello to everyone that takes the time to read this as it is probably gonna be a bit of a tired ramble.

After setting out this morning to purchase a cheap car stereo i've ended up here planning a complete GPS,Speed trap,Phone,Traffic kit at 12am in the morning and i've gotta break for some advice.

This is what I would like my system to achieve:

speed trap warning
laser jamming
GPS directions
live traffic warning
hands free phone in car

At the moment I have nothing except an old installed nokia 8210 handsfree phone kit which I may cannabalise. I'm also on an extremely limited budget.

From a whole host i've sites i've read, although i've changed my mind several times now this is what i'm thinking:

Origin b2 trap detection as allows gps connection to a pda(was thinkin road angel before coming here??)connected to a LRC100 laser jamer(although I can pick up a Blinder M10-Twin for £90, so does connection really matter?)

then i'm thinking rather than straight pda of getting a pda/phone to save on both money and dash space so i've been looking here

http://www.expansys.com/d_gsm.asp#D

and I'm looking for one with both bluetooth for hands free and windows to load up nav software. Which would you recommend, if any??

I was also looking at maybe getting the Nokia 610 handsfree

http://uk.gsmbox.com/news/mobile_news/all/97966.gsmbox

as it looks preety flash, however maybe it is an unnecessary expense maybe I would be better off intalling a qubit mute system

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/qubit-sound.php

to mute stereo for both speedtrap warnings and alerts from pda/phone but I can't find out how much these cost. I do need to mute stereo, as it is amped up and I may not hear anything over it!

There are plenty o question above but a few last ones i've just thought of -

Is it cheaper/better to buy a bluetooth gps pda add on and speed trap software instead of the b2? (how important is forth coming radar unit?)

Is it cheaper/better to not get a pda/phone but get them separatly?

How can I get live traffic updates to work in conjunction with my navigation software?

I've search loads but i'm answering questions with two more questions and now i need to proper advice from people that have systems.

Ta

Steve
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't go down the route of an integrated mobile phone and Pocket PC. It's not worth the hassle, and it's certainly not worth the cost. Really you'd be looking at purchasing an O2 XDA II for this, which is nearly £600. Not being funny, but you can pick up a very decent HP iPAQ 2210 for under £250, and a decent Sony Ericsson T610 for under £200 sim free. Space for a mobile phone really shouldn't be an issue in-car, you can even put it in your shirt pocket, attach it to your belt, it doesn't have to sit on the dashboard.

If you went for the above setup you then have an option of Bluetooth headsets from around £60 upwards that will connect to the T610. You could do the same with most Nokia's.

All in all though you are really talking £1000-2000 depending on the ultimate setup you are after.

HP iPAQ 2210 - £250
256mb SD card - £70
TomTom Navigator 2 cabled GPS - £270 (BT version - ££385)
T610 or other Mobile - £200
Hansfree kit - £100
Road Angel - £389
Origin b2 - £430

You won't get live traffic updates on a navigation system (at least not a Pocket PC based one). You can subscribe to another system like LiveWire which will allow you to add in the departure and destination cities and it will then come back and alert you over a GPRS Bluetooth connection to the mobile phone which roads are congested or have accidents on them, but you won't be able to use a handsfree Bluetooth unit or headset at the same time.

Applications to look at I'd say really would be TomTom Navigator 2 and CoPilot Live. Both you can add on for free our free Speed Camera Database, it won't be as accurate as a £400 device, but it will be pretty good.
scwheeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Dave, I agree with what your saying forgot to mention though

I can get a XDA II + BT GPS for £430ish £'s (used -but not too much i guess a xda II's are quite new) which then makes it comparable in price to HP + GPS (I've already got TTn2), would that make it a slighty better choice as has phone capability, or does HP blow it out of water in terms of tech capability?

Also i'm thinking of saving my money and not getting b2 if your speed camera details are nearly as good - my only concern is how good is this system at the notification (time,details,etc)? The way I see it £430 for b2 that just does speed traps or £430 for speed traps, nav, phone, and other pda stuff, I can't justify the b2 + could spend extra cash on laser jammer. Do you think it'd be possible to link the upcoming b2 radar add-on to pda(if someone wrote software)?

I can't use GPRS for traffic as have a work provided sim-card was hoping to use some type of RDS reciever is there is one?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combined PPC and GSM phones really aren't all it's cracked up to be, I think you'll probably get frustrated quite quickly. I have to soft reset my iPAQ a good half a dozen times a day, remember you would then have a mobile phone integrated into this so you're powering off the phone also. Just too much hassle!

The XDAII also has problems with Bluetooth although there is a fudge workaround for it. It's entirely up to you but I'd go with something that is known to work well, and the iPAQ's do work well.

I'd doubt you will be able to link the b2 radar to the PDA, because their database will be encrypted, so it will be extremely difficult to access their data.

You won't get traffic news with RDS, the only way is TMC and it's still not readily available in the UK, no TMC GPS's are being sold in the UK (although one is in Germany) and the navigation software doesn't support it, so it'll be a while yet.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheep ansmer for the speed camera detection and laser jamming
DONT SPEED!
that little pedle under your right foot has other postions not just to fully open and off Thumbs Up

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
scwheeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your replys.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: