Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Will This SD Card Be OK?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Will This SD Card Be OK?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colinm345
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry should have quoted the first post and it is a NUVI300 that I have Embarassed

However can I just go and buy an SD card for it if I want to load a lot of MP3s
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoobydooby wrote:
timber wrote:
....all as per original posting noticeably faster in operation on a TT1V3GB Exclamation

I have mentioned in a previous thread that my TT one Europe seemed more sluggish than the UK/irl version that I had for 24 hours, I downloaded the USA/Canada maps over Christmas onto a Sandisk Ultra 2, 1GB card, I feel that the TT is more responsive whilst using that card.

My theory is that (and it is just that) tomtom sourced a really cheap 1Gb card to fit the euro maps onto, also there isnt a lot of room on either the USA or Euro cards, someone here mentioned that the TT uses a swap file like a PC, so I'm hoping that my TT will feel liberated one it has a decent chunk of spare & fast memory to use at its will.

Scoobs

Transcend card arrived this morning, excellent service from Amazon seller.

I am however seeing a slower time calculating routes using this card than the supplied card, before I swapped over to the new card I calculated a route to Barcelona 3 times, each time took a shade over a minute using the standard TT card.

I was hoping to halve this using the new card, but everytime it took between 16 to 25 seconds longer, I then deleted the contents of the card, and used the TT as an SD reader (first time I used the PC's SD reader) and uploaded the files this way, as expected the test results were the same.

The TT does however feel slightly more responsive in use, so I'm a bit confused by it all.

I wonder if anyone is interested in doing a controlled test, say time taken to calculate a route using from Lands end to John'o'groats, using the supplied TT card, then their Transcend card.

Using postcodes TR26 2NP (temp set as Home) to KW1 4YR, took as follows over 3 tests:-

Original card------20.2,19.2,19.3 seconds.
Transcend card---23.3,23.2,23.1 seconds.

I'd be interested to see how a UK/Irl TT one fares against a European TT one with the respective SD cards.

Scoobs

I'd be lost without it !!
Tommy710
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoobydooby wrote:
I would have ordered two, but P+P is £4.50 per card

Fwiw, I ordered 2 of these last night and sent a message to the vendor immediately afterwards saying that he should cancel the order if I had to pay p&p on each item. I got a refund of £4.50 this morning via Amazon.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just compared 3 cards on the A-B route calculation from London (centre) to Aberdeen (centre), with the following results
A. My Memory 133x 2GB 20 seconds
B. TomTom original 1GB 27 seconds
C. Transcend 150x 2GB 30 seconds

A cost £17.99 from My Memory, C cost £11.99 from the Amazon trader given in this thread. C is good value for money, but although it claims to be 150x, it's not as fast as the 133x from My Memory. But in operation they are almost indistinguishable (though I presume that if you deviate from the route, recalculation time will be comparable with the above)

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylegs wrote:

So it seems we have lost on time calculating routes but have gained on getting a faster Gps fix....

Swings and roundabouts I think...It also seems like the Western European TT one v2 suffers a performance hit when calculating routes due to having to process more mapping information which adds slightly more time on to the process even with faster sd cards..

Thumbs Up well done for the very informative post which without doubt shows the differences in the 2 types of mapping and also the effect of the latest software upgrade.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just seen Crazylegs calculation, I have decided not to upgrade from 6.52. I prefer speed for route calculation (and recalculation), since it never seems to take long to get a fix. I repeated tests with the same postcodes as Scoobs had quoted (sorry to have introduced London to Aberdeen - that was on a different thread!). Using the My Memory card, I repeated using the GB Plus map, which I also have on that card, and it was slightly quicker than using the Western Europe maps.

Calculation using Scoobs postcodes for Lands End and John o Groats

TomTom original 1GB 26 sec Western Europe
Transcend 150x 2GB 28 sec Western Europe
My Memory 133x 2GB 22 sec Western Europe
20 sec GB Plus

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: