Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rerouting?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rerouting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_de_wet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Rerouting? Reply with quote

On Saturday I was travelling from Cheshire to Oxford via the M6.

TT Traffic advised a delay on the M6 in the Birmingham area and rerouted me via the M6 Toll.

However this rerouting occurred whilst 30 miles or more away from the problem area.

Does anyone know if the Traffic function is clever enough to check if the problem on the original route has cleared, thereby allowing the original (and in this case cheaper!) route to be used?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The traffic information is as up to date as the supplier of that information. You will often see M'way matrix signs "out of date", still showing obstructions, fog or what have you, simply because they haven't been updated by the man in the control box. Same applies to the traffic information. Plus you need to have TT Traffic set for updating at appropriate intervals - if you have it set at 30 minutes, you won't get the clearance until 30 minutes later, possibly too late for you to do anything.

When I used my free test (setting to 5 minute update intervals) I liked the look of it until I came across a "live" demonstration. I saw a jam just clearing from southbound as I went by northbound. When I turned round half hour later, the Traffic told me of 35 minute delay at that spot, which I had seen virtually completely cleared earlier. It still had the delay when I went through a clear road (having ignored it). So I decided not to bother subscribing and paying mobile costs on top (although I understand the mobile costs are pretty small) and am sticking with Radio 5 until such time as I see reports here that "Traffic is now absolutely spot on".

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
chris_de_wet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DennisN

I have my 910 set to update at 15 minute intervals.

I appreciate that the information may be incorrect, but the fundamantal question remains - if a reroute is no longer necessary will the TomTom software revert to the original route?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an assumption on my part, but I would guess it should revert to original route if the problem clears and you have not yet reached the point at which TT was going to divert you, and it would give a polite little bleat and remove the "delay ahead" icon. I have no experience of this myself though - I didn't have it set to automatically re-route me. You'd probably do well to use the Search button to find out if anybody has already posted on this.

As a matter of interest, the overhead signs southbound M6 always say there are delays between Jct 11 and Jct 4/5/6 these days, during long running roadworks around B'ham. Also they say M6 Toll Clear. All before you reach Jct 11 so that you can pull off there and use M6 Toll. Commercial or helpful?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: