Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOM TOM One Memoary Card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOM TOM One Memoary Card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlesthobo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: TOM TOM One Memoary Card Reply with quote

Just a quick question. I have a TomTom One which only has a small 250kb SD card that came with the unit. Can I use any old SD card or do I need a special one just for the TomTom. I'm assuming I could just buy a decent quality SD card from somewhere like Amazon or Mymemory.com!??!
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, most SD Cards will work ok, but if you are going to buy a new one, try ang get a "fast read", or whatever is called, so the map can be updated quickly as you drive. I made the mistake of only getting a normal one, so if I have POi's displayed, the voice directions are a bit late. With Speed cam database, I have the "alerts" on and the "Display icons" off, or the voice says "Turn left at next turning", just as I am driving past.
littlesthobo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Tanda

I think the word you're looking for is "Hi-Speed". I think that's the description of the write/read speed. I have recently bought a 1GB for my Dad's Camera (as Christmas present) it was the following:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/memory/Kingston/512MB/50X/ELITE/PRO/SD/Card/(Secure/Digital)

I assume this one will do fine for my TomTom.

Final question. What size memory do I reasonably need? Would 1GB be more than enough or do I splash out on 2GB.

PS: Embarrassed at my spelling in thread title and previous post - damn no edit button!
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont wory bowt the speling, mins not 2 good ever. Laughing Out Loud

It depends what you want to do with it, if only use on your TOMTOM with uk maps, then 256 should do, if you want Europe too then bigger. If its the same as my pocket PC, then it needs some space on the SD card to work out a route, but I find 256 with uk maps, a few POi's and the speed cam database use just over half the card, (I have ViaMichelin).
shaunuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a memory card size limit on the tomtom v2 as i have a 2 gig in mine (and works great) but have noticed there is now 8 gig cards available.
Cheers for any info (i know 8 gig is a lot for a sat nav but just wondering if they would work ok) Wink
aitcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: SD card Reply with quote

Hi all . I have bought a 1 GB SD card and have tried put GB and western Europe maps on it . It appears that even by formatting the card and putting it in the tomtom one with the maps on it , it wont work. I just get a pair of hands on the SD card on the tomtom screen ? Any ideas
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: SD card Reply with quote

aitcher wrote:
Hi all . I have bought a 1 GB SD card and have tried put GB and western Europe maps on it . It appears that even by formatting the card and putting it in the tomtom one with the maps on it , it wont work. I just get a pair of hands on the SD card on the tomtom screen ? Any ideas

Which Tomtom do you have?

How did you put the maps on the card?

Is the card protected? (read only)

Is it a high speed card?

Please try and supply as much info as possible, that way it's easier for the peeps on here to help you as quickly as possible

Wink

To old to die young.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: SD card Reply with quote

aitcher wrote:

Welcome to the forum btw :D

To old to die young.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: