Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help! How to set distance on Speed cams TT710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! How to set distance on Speed cams TT710

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrJon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Help! How to set distance on Speed cams TT710 Reply with quote

Well, I was bought a lovely new TT 710 for Chrimble and it works like a charm (puts old iPAQ on eBay...) but there is one small niggle....

I don't seem to have a menu item to set the distance and/or alrm for the (built in) speed cameras. At 30/40 mph it's fine, but on the motorways I really need to have the alert come sooner.

Am I being thick coz I can't find it? It's 'driving' me nuts Crying or Very sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, please have a read through THIS Page #7 should answer your problem, but there is some additional information on the page that should be of use.
In short you cannot configure the TomTom speed cameras, but you can customise the warnings from this site - Mike
DrJon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast response Mike, but I'm afraid none of that was relevant.

However, for anyone else in the same boat, this might be of interest.

Whe the Item was purchased it had s/w v 6.110 installed. I backed up the data, updated via TT Home and it crashed. So badly in fact, that it would not even hard reset. So off I trogged to the shop and got a replacement which I asked them to update while I was there. Now running on s/w v 6.522.Everything fine.... for a while.

Had a look at the voice files for the gatsos and thought I'd try one of those. Renamed just one ogg file to the name of the gatso nearest my house, set a short advance journey to test it, but still got the beeps instead of the voice. As a matter of elimination I tried to set the distance of the Gatso closer. Hm.m.. no gatsos in the POI menu where they were before.

Looked all around the TT and all the files were there, they just weren;t showing up in any menu. Restored the 6.522 backup - same thing. Deleted everything on the SD card and restored the earlier version. Lo.. gatsos...

Still no voice file will work unfortunately, and I'm loth to update it again...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is you are using "built in speed cameras" i.e. the ones supplied by TomTom, these cannot be configured as POI warnings any longer.
If you want true spoken camera alerts using different/ custom distances with ogg sound files you need to use a true POI based Speed Camera database which is available from this site - Mike
DrJon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I'd kinda figured that out in the end.

It's all a bit confusing as the thread for the voice files is now sooooooo long my rather ageing brain couldn't cope with it. I originally read it as TT building in the facility for voice files for the speed cams, but I didn't suss that it couldn't work with their own. DOH!

Guess I'd better download the other version of the cams then..

Cheers

Doc
DrJon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an addendum though. When I updated to 6.522 again, I completely lost the ability to manage speed cams at all. No menu for them anywhere.

I'm going back to the older version methinks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would have been in the TomTom Plus Menu...

But to repeat the advice: dump them.
Subscribe to here, (pay with a credit card rather than any other method of PayPal for the quickest access), download the speed-zoned set of files (ov2 version), unzip the download, copy them all (ov2 and bmp files) into your map folder, and you are away.

You DO have to set up the warning distances and sounds for EACH type and speed, which takes a while (24 types), but you only have to do it once.
Every time the database is updated (about once a fortnight, and you can't say that for TomTom's one!) you just paste the new ov2 files over the top of the old ones.

Finally, add some ogg format voice files (instructions Here) if you want spoken warnings rather than sounds.
DrJon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, they are supposed to be in the plus menu.... but updating the software version on this particular device actually removes them from there.

The cam warnings still work, but I can't get access to them! Great work Tom Tom.

I have the voice files already; I guess I will subscribe here - the updates certainly appear to be a lot more regular than TT's.

Cheers
DrJon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm..... no more boing sounds that wake me up when I'm driving.. Hell, did I say that out loud? Embarassed

Cam db downloaded, voices downloaded. Nice.

Can thoroughly recommend.

Take note TomTom.

Cheers all.

Doc

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: