Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Warning - Rikaline X7 Bug
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning - Rikaline X7 Bug
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Warning - Rikaline X7 Bug Reply with quote

Many Rikaline X7 owners have been experiencing sporadic problems with their X7's, sometimes they work, then other times they keep stopping mid flow as though someone as just switched the GPS Receiver on and off a few times whilst you are using it.

I have spoken with Rikaline Taiwan and they are aware of this problem. They believe it's not a major bug (although people experiencing it may disagree), and Rikaline are currently work on a firmware update and we'll post any further response including when the fix is available here.
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dave. Thumbs Up

If they can produce a fix for it do you think "Joe Bloggs" like us will be able to flash upgrade it??
Question
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so, although I've had the privilege of having to flash the Rikaline X6 and it really wasn't for the faint hearted. Once you have the right files and proper instructions it should be fairly easy to do, but I didn't have these. 8O Laughing
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding from talking to Sam Goldsmith of Rikaline UK it that the firmware on the BT receiver needs to be upgraded by Rikaline.

This is not a user upgrade, but can be done at the local Rikaline office and doesnt need to go back to the factory.
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this imply that a fix is nearly available for this product and if so what do owners of the X7 do now?

Send back their units and wait for them coming back or sit tight? Question
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we are nearing Xmas, the fix is most probably several weeks away. So you will have to unfortunately wait until a fix is available (or perhaps see if you can return it and swap out with another GPS in the mean time).

Performing a firmware update on a Rikaline receiver is very simple once you have the information, it just requires the firmware updater program, a new firmware release file, running the program, selecting to backup the original ROM (just in case something goes wrong), then loading the new ROM file and telling it to flash the GPS, power cycle and you are there. Pretty simple.

Some GPS companies will allow you to download the ROM updates and flash the GPS Receiver yourselves because this requires very little effort from them in supporting (apart from having to replace units that may have corrupted on flashing the ROM), but many GPS companies do prefer you to return the products back to them to make sure they don't have too many failed units.

We'll have to wait and see what Rikaline decide to do when the update is available. Mike is currently talking to Rikaline UK and I am talking to Rikaline Taiwan, we'll let you all know when we have further information regarding availability of the firmware and whether it has to be sent back to base or can be flashed by yourself.

I guess if you think about it, many ocmpanies like HP themselves let you flash the ROM of their Pocket PC's, so it shouldn't be a difficult thing to do, providing you don't disconnect the GPS or interrupt the power or press any buttons until the update has finished, you should be okay.
fks123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Dave,

any news from Rikaline in Taiwan ??
why are they taking so long ??

can they solve the problem ??

sam
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No news yet, but the main problem is we are still in the Xmas holiday season, most companies don't officially start back until 5th or are on a very reduced skeleton staff until 5th Jan, so I really wouldn't be expecting anything until towards the end of next week at the earliest.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update from Rikaline UK:
Quote:
Update on the X7 Bluetooth receiver. Rikaline have a solution, however the receivers will need to be updated by us they cannot be updated by the consumer.

Rikaline TW are currently testing the fix to see if it is complete and will keep you informed.

gpsfan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has this been fixed on currently shipping models or are we still in "limbo"?
Apparently some people have shipped their model back, but it's unclear whether they're getting fixed. This is confusing!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had confirmation from Rikaline Uk that all X7 GPS receivers sold in the last 2 weeks or so have all got the updated firmware in them.

If there is any doubt as to the version that you have the new ones with the bug fixes do not require a passkey when pairing.
gpsfan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no BT stability problems on the news ones? Are they sending you a test unit so someone outside of Rikaline can verify this?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rikaline UK said they would send us the new X7 to test last week. However it has not been sent out yet.

As soon as it is we will provide feedback to you and Rikaline.

Last edited by MikeB on Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
gpsfan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Riptorn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, have just spent the day configuring my X7 with my handheld. There was no passkey required and I bought it two days ago so I'm presuming that it has the upgrade mentioned. I took it out on a walk earlier, and noticed my position stalling and then jumping about abit. Whether this was due to the fact that I was carrying the X7 in my pocket (in my keeness to get going I hadn't worked out where the GPS signal strength indicator was on the nav screen) or something more inherent, I don't know.

Am off in the car to watch the Arsenal in half an hour and will give it a more thorough work out. Will get back to you with my conclusions.

Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: