Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi- Can this be done?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi- Can this be done?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hass762
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi- Can this be done? Reply with quote

Can anyone help with this please?

1- Is the Nuvi 300/350 essentially the same unit with maybe different firmware/software on it?
2- Is it possible to make the nuvi 300 speak street names?
3- I have the Europe NTv9 maps for the UK. Does this mean I have the European maps or do I need to install further maps? Is there any free versions if I need to install?
4- How do I add different voices for the English language?
ie. Can I get different male/female voices installed?
where would I get these?
5- Is it possible to get the nuvi 300 to beep louder and faster for speed cams and have the guidance voice at a lower volume?

Very grateful if anyone can help.
I did do a search but a lot of fairly similar questions seem to be aimed at other units. I'm guessing it's because the Nuvi's are pretty newish?

thanks, regards
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi- Can this be done? Reply with quote

hass762 wrote:
1- Is the Nuvi 300/350 essentially the same unit with maybe different firmware/software on it?
Yes, essentially the same, with the same firmware on it. However, there is a different amount of space available on the internal disk, and the firmware can tell which unit you are using.
Quote:
2- Is it possible to make the nuvi 300 speak street names?
No (see 1 - the firmware knows it's not a 350 and the voices will not be available, even if installed).
Quote:
3- I have the Europe NTv9 maps for the UK. Does this mean I have the European maps or do I need to install further maps? Is there any free versions if I need to install?
Where did you get the v9 map from (and for which Nuvi)?
Quote:
4- How do I add different voices for the English language?
The WebUpdater will offer all available voices for you. On the Nuvi 300, I think there is only 1 British voice, whereas the 350 will have this voice and both a female and male voice which will speak street names.
Quote:
5- Is it possible to get the nuvi 300 to beep louder and faster for speed cams and have the guidance voice at a lower volume?
No. Sometime next year it's possible we'll see a firmware update which allows you to alter the mp3 / navigation volumes separately, but not the navigation / beeps (and the availability of this firmware is not confirmed).
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the initial firmware for the 300 you COULD transfer the TTS voices and it WOULD work - this capability was removed in the first new firmware release though!

MaFt
hass762
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 300 Reply with quote

Hello, thanks both for your reply.

Swing re-

The maps came preinstalled on the Nuvi 300 whihc I purchased about 2 weeks ago now. I seem to be able to get some other european countries come up mainly France and some other strange places I've not really heard off. Should this map cover all of Europe considering it was sold as a UK/Ireland version.

MaFt-
Where do I get the firmware version from?
is this the same as the software version ie. 4.30?

With the voices, I just wanted to know if there are any additional male/female voices, possibly differing accents etc that can do what the standard british/american english female voice does now.

The same voice gets boring after a while and it does not need to speak the street names on my Nuvi 300.

----
Lastly, have you guys come across my other post [same time as this] regaridng postcode/address entries coming up wrong on my 300?
It's quite disheartening when I can't just enter a common street name or postcode that has been around for ages and get the correct info returned.

Thanks for all the help guys have a great new years!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 300 Reply with quote

hass762 wrote:

The maps came preinstalled on the Nuvi 300 whihc I purchased about 2 weeks ago now. I seem to be able to get some other european countries come up mainly France and some other strange places I've not really heard off. Should this map cover all of Europe considering it was sold as a UK/Ireland version.
The Nuvi 300 comes with some of the major roads across Europe, but it only has the detailed mapping of the UK/Ireland down to street level - so, for example, although it could direct you to the centre of Paris, it could not direct you to a particular street in Paris. If you want full European mapping, you will need to get the full Europe NT v9 maps and pay to unlock the rest of Europe (this could then be transferred onto an SD card).
Quote:
Where do I get the firmware version from?
Garmin's website - head to the Nuvi 300 page and there is a link on the left to "Updates and Manuals"
Quote:
is this the same as the software version ie. 4.30?
Yes.
Quote:
With the voices, I just wanted to know if there are any additional male/female voices, possibly differing accents etc that can do what the standard british/american english female voice does now.

The same voice gets boring after a while and it does not need to speak the street names on my Nuvi 300.
Unlike the TomTom units, other voices are not available for the Garmin range (yet) - Garmin have mentioned the possibility of providing, but have yet to do so.
hass762
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers, thanks for your help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: