Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: TomTom 3 Reply with quote

2 questions

1) Anyone hear words on when TomTom 3 might show up. Also, is it going to be the software we have always dreamed about for Europe?
2) I have a magellan meridian platinum. Is it possible for me to hook it up to my pocketc (such as an HP2215) as the gps for the nav software, such as TomTom?

Thanks,
Guy
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three features I hope that they are including

1) Waypoints - so you can say from A to B via C
2) Automapstitching - so that you can cross a countries border and it intelliegnetly loads the next map and lets you plan a route that cross the border
3) Intelligent map loading to Storage - so you can plan what map areas YOU want to download and say - also put 20 miles either side of my route on the Storage

These were the biggest gripes we had when using it for 10 days in Europe last year - and we will be going out again this year - if TomTom doesnt incorporate these features in the new version, I will be seriously looking at the competing software packages with a view to changing
murphwiz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at the T3 version of TT", it has a 'major roads of europe' feture? why can't ppc users get that?
guy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to my 2nd question, with another users help, I found the site http://www.pc-mobile.net/maggps.htm

to help connect my meridian to an hp2215. However, the site says in the FAQ that they only test the Garmin etrex with the cables, and if the manufacturer says the connection won't work, then it won't work. So, they make a cable that will connect my meridian to an hp2215, but anyone know if i can then actually use the meridian as the gps for the navigation software?
guy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An additional note, I actually called magellan technical suport and they said I can't connect the meridian to the pda. Anyway, that doesn't mean they are correct, but unless someone has good news, the fact that a cable is made doesn't seem to help me mujch.
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on this particular model, but I can't see why this wouldn't work. The data cable they show on magellangps.com against this model has a DB9 RS232 connector on it, so in theory you could mate that to a serial cable for your iPAQ. I stress I don't know the iPAQ model you have, so if there's any reason that it can't take an RS232 connection that might explain the problem. I did think it was only the 1910 that had this limitation.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll jump in here too! As long as your Magellan has NMEA out then it will work fine. All you need is the Magellan Serial Cable, a Null Modem Adapter and the 2215 Serial cable. If PC-Mobile offer a custom one piece cable then this will do a neater job Thumbs Up
guy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren and trafcam,

The magellan meridian specifications state:

Data Output (NMEA 0183 V1.5 Standard)
Yes
Data Output (NMEA 0183 V2.1 Standard)
Yes

I called magellan tech support again. They said they can't garuntee it will work, but I told her about the cable and the NMEA thing, and she said she assumes it will work as long as I set the Baud rate correctly.

Thanks Guys, that is probably what I'm going to do then. It is pretty cool, they even have the connection that allows me to charge the PDA and connect the meridian at the same time. In case you were wondering, I don't have the PDA yet, but I plan on ordering the HP2215 (possibly 4150). Now I just need to finalize which software I want to get, and you can see my question on that posted here....
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5814&sid=7037962b5ce7643978cc6ee1dbb6d1a9

Any help on the software question would be great, then I can order this stuff, enjoy not getting lost in Europe, and be done with the research for awhile. Of course, I'm sure there will be some kind of memory or PDA hang-up issue I will have questions on Smile

Thanks again,
Guy
guy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh Man,

I just realized a problem with my plan. The cable allows me to connect the meridian gps to the hp2215 and also charge the hp2215 at the same time. However, I don't see a way to charge the meridian at the same time. Ya, it has batteries, but the don't last that long. Hmm, is there anyway to charge the meridian gps and the hp2215 and still have them connected at the same time? I'm thinking I might be out of luck there....

Guy
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had the following comment from the TomTom Support Team in response to a question on whether recent purchasers of Navigator 2 would get a free upgrade to Navigator 3:

Quote:
In the past existing customers were able to upgrade to a newer version, for a nomial fee.
I am not permitted to make any comments about Navigator 3 but I would strongly suggest that you keep an eye on our website over the coming weeks

So, it appears to be soon :D
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
twisted-pixel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought TT2 (2 weeks ago) and as I was concerned about buying a piece of software that was about to be upgraded, I asked the same question and this was the reply I got.

Dear Mr Barclay,

We do not have information about new releases, please watch our site for news.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: