Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Farewell to my iCN550+TMC - I've gon to Tom Tom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Farewell to my iCN550+TMC - I've gon to Tom Tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulfnavman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Farewell to my iCN550+TMC - I've gon to Tom Tom Reply with quote

I just wanted to let users know of my experience with the iCN550+TMC.

I've had the unit since mid July, so have been using it for 5 months now. I'm glad that I purchased it from Costco, as they don't quibble about justifiable returns.

At first, the unit behaved (almost) as expected, and took me where I wanted with little or no problem. The TMC did guide me around a number of jams and kept me on the move more often than not. I say almost, as I had to remove a number of the maps before the unit would boot up. If I had wanted to travel through Europe in the past few months - it wouldn't have been up to it. In the UK though, once half of Europe had been trashed, it was fine. For a short while.

But then, the niggles started. The unit wouldn't allow me to set up a route without it being reset - not just switched off and on, but inserting a pin into the reset button recess - every time I wanted to set up a new route. The only thing that made this just about bearable was the fact that with most of the European maps removed, the boot up time was slightly reduced. Still, I was getting a bid fed up.

Then, on a number of journeys through Herts, Beds & London, the unit suddenly decided I was flying across Wales.

Travelling on the A5 in Beds, next to fields, the map showing a straight road ahead, the unit insisted around 20 to 30 times that I turn sharp left.
Similarly, when driving down a local road on a regular journey, the unit insisted I turn left, ignoring a high curb, fences and trees and go into a field. Ignoring this, it told me to make a U turn, despite the map showing only one road, and my destination straight ahead. These are busy routes that haven't changed in 20+ years, so there's no excuse for not having the correct mapping.

Then the straw that broke the Navmans back. The unit, after being reset numerous times, refused to take me anywhere in or around Westminster which resulted in my being late for a function I didn't want to miss.

I called Navman - no luck there, so I tried the web site given on the product box. The url didn't work, so I just looked at Navman.co.uk/.com and tried to get English customer support - this didn't work either. I emailed them, then a few days later emailed again. This time I had a response, asking me to detail what was wrong with the unit. I replied to this is detail and I'm still waiting for the response more than two weeks later!

Having given Navman more than enough time to address problems, I put maps back into the car, dug out all of the packaging, cables and manuals and got my money back from Costco.

This afternoon, I picked up a TomTom 910 with 5 years product cover from Currys. All I need to do is order the TMC cable from Amazon and it will still have saved me over £40.

First impressions are that it is neater, easier to see and hear, much faster, highly intuitive and does what it says on the box. Within 10 minutes, I was driving home from the store and talking to my partner via the built in blue tooth hands free. There is no comparison - the 910 is streets ahead and exactly what the 550 should have been.

I was upset at having to return the NavMan unit. I gave Navman every opportunity to put things right, and even put up with much of what was wrong, but in the end, they simply didn't even have the courtesy to respond to their customers complaints. It is simple to see why TomToms are selling so well.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect from your reported problems the GPS was reporting incorrect positions to the software. It is not clear from what you have said if you looked at the screen at any time to determine if the position Navman displayed was accurate compared to where you were.

I advise you against blind faith in the TomTom. They are good products however, as with the Navman, they are not faultless, and you already have experiance of what happens when you blindly follow the devices directions.

As for the price difference - thats what 6 months in this industry gives you. Look back over time at the initial price, and how quickly they fall. Comparing you TomTom price of today against what you paid 6 months ago for the 550 is wrong. You got lucky when they took back the 550 at what you paid for it. A new one is worth much less today.
What was the top of the line TomTom worth in July?
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Farewell to my iCN550+TMC - I've gon to Tom Tom Reply with quote

paulfnavman wrote:
I just wanted to let users know of my experience with the iCN550+TMC.

Actually you've done the right thing, if only we could all do same.

It’s an odd thing isn’t it that if you buy a kettle for £25 and it doesn’t boil water you can take it back. However pay £hundreds for a GPS navigation system that doesn’t do what it says it can do, crashes, glitches, takes forever to calculate a route, can’t get a lock etc. etc. then you’re in trouble.

Navman seem to have completely abandoned support for the 550, to the best of my knowledge there hasn’t been is single software update in the past 12 months. “Ah” you might say that’s because it works perfectly and doesn’t need any, but I think perhaps not.

There’s no little extra’s either such as integration with Contacts or PC editing of favourites, something that would take an average programmer a few hours to write and would be so useful. I actually wrote a program to convert the Navman “favourites” database to a CSV file and back again so that you can edit it, it seems to work OK but it is limited.

Personally I have 595 good reasons not to buy another Navman product and I will vote with my feet next time. Perhaps there is a Linux variant out there which is in the public domain, fully supported and which works!
..hint
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people ask for a Linux (aka free) variant. Problem is the not the software, thats easy - whats a few tens of man years of work. What the problem is the maps.

If you want free software, someone will need to go and drive every road in the civilaised world in a vehcile with $100'000 equipment. Once finsihed, they need to start again to fix up errors and get updated changes. Then they need to give it away, AND they need to all this monthly to keep the customers happy. I don't see you offering :D , I for one, am happy to pay for it.

Once every few months someone tries to kick off an open source mapping project as described above - it does not work. The open source movment is just not mature enough and egoless enough...
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Linux & Maps Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
the civilaised world

Actually I don't mind paying for the maps which tend not to be updated very often anyway, certainly not monthly or even yearly in Navman's case. As for fixing errors vendors are not listening because it's not what they want to hear economically wise.

And to be fair Smile I am willing to share software I've written for converting Navman "FavVer4.dat" database files to and from CSV files to anyone who requests it. It's only a diddy program and unsupported I know, but it was written out of need when upgrading Navman software and not wanting to loose data and then drive everywhere again!

As for the OS I feel it could be better handled just as Linux is in the public domain and I seriously doubt if it would take that long. There's some very clever software enthusiasts out there and I'll bet they've already made a start! (hopefully) Linux already runs on PDA's, mobile phones and in an ever increasing range of industrial applications, so the hardware exists, the kernel exists and the GPS tracking exists. So perhaps you are right all we need are the Maps!

Personally I can't wait to see an open source system!!
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that Tom Tom already runs under a Linux kernel. I am ready to be corrected on that though.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - the Go is Linux based, BUT not open source. There is a hell of a lot of confusion over open souce and Linux. Linux is open source, as are many appliactions that run on it. The evangalists never talk about the commercial software that runs on Linux. They also fail to mention the amount of open source/free software that is just crap. In fact, there is not so much out there that open source is generally a waste of time unless you have some way to get told which software to download and which to ignore.

If you are a geek or professional with a specific need, Linux and free software has much to offer. If you just want to get a job done, pay some cash and stick to commercial appliactions. Opensource is just too time consuming and confusing for an "average" user wanting turn key solutions.

I can imagine the open souce in car nav solution:
Down load, seperately, the geo searching, routing and guidence programs. Write a Perl script to link them together, complie them for you particular variation of linux. Not you find you want POI's, favourites, speed cams and warnings, but the modules you find on the net don't work togther. The ones that do work together are not reliable on your particular version of Linux.
After serveal months you give up on the idea, delete the 20gig of downloads and buy a TomTom or Navman solution.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: