Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman's new Bluetooth GPS4410 Bundle
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman's new Bluetooth GPS4410 Bundle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think it's important for Navman to honor recent purchases, most companies if they produce a new version will allow people to receive a free upgrade usually within a 30-60 day timeframe. Hopefully Navman will look at each case and see that it's worthwhile keeping new customers and recent customers happy.
Boydie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm this looks like exactly what Navman are doing Dave.

I have just received a reply to my e-mail stating that if I send them confirmation of my purchase at the beginning of January then they will send me a free upgrade for my GPS4400. Thumbs Up

Well done Navman, my faith in your customer care is restored.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gakennedy wrote:
Kam, can you let us know when you receive it ?

I emailed them my proof of purchase Thursday afternoon, and am happy to report that the CDs arrived first post this morning. :D

Kam
Pueblo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DID purchase Navman for its "pan-european" coverage. However it is important to say that beyond Austria that seems to be very good I had many problems with the lack of details around Venice, Italy and also around Frejus tunnel to St Sorlin d’Arves in France.

Concerning the original article about the European coverage it is very important to add that in Destinator (also using Navtech maps) there are already maps about Hungary and the Czech Rep.

It is quite confusing that the topic starting story first seems to come from Dave. It is confusing as first I thought that this is a "first look" story and not an advertisement. I would be more comfortable if advertisements from suppliers would be clearly defined as such.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't an advertisement, it was a press release from Navman.
mike63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope their software is better than their spelling and grammar:

Quote:
Sir, unfortuantley the upgrade will be available fro £139.99 because we ahve had to pay the map providers a fee also fro updated maps.

Sorry for the delay in responding to your email.

Kind regards,
Maxine Harrison

Mike
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike's reply from Maxine prompts me to ask those that have a copy of V2 whether the maps are more up to date than those supplied with V1.

Simple test is to see whether the new M6 toll road is included (not in V1) and whether Whitebeam Close (CO4 5H) in Colchester is included (new road included in V1). Can anybody contribute to this test? Confused

Steveee
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
OhBuggerit2k2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can give a little:

The M6 toll road is not there
The A43 dual carriageway between the M1 and M40 has you driving part of the way across thin air and;
a minor road in Sawley that was closed over a year ago when they built the new A50 still shows as open and the software tries to direct you down it until you mark it as a blocked road.

I am surprised. I thought that as it is so new, ALL major road changes would be incorporated.

Sorry to be negative, I bought the 4410 to run on an XDA II and their customer services has confirmed that it still cannot be done consistantly until the BT stack problem is sorted. What a shame!!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhBuggerit2k2 wrote:
I am surprised. I thought that as it is so new, ALL major road changes would be incorporated.

It can take up to a year from the point where NavTech or TeleAtlas record the road before it makes it into the next major release of an application. This is down to logistics of geodata companies, so not all new major roads will be there. The same thing happens a lot of the time with paper maps. When you buy a 2003 map, in most cases by the time the company who prints the map gets the data, it's a good 6-12 months out of date. Most geodata companies won't record a road until it's fully completed.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far we have determined that V2 with TeleAtlas is no better that V1 but is it worse? I know that Whitebeam Close (CO4 5H) in Colchester is a relatively new road but is in V1. Can anybody confirm whether it's in V2?

:o

All I want to see is whether this upgrade is worth it.

If the new maps are no better or even worse that V1, then if Navman are charging for an upgrade users could end up worse off!

Yeah, I know that V2 has new functionality but if the mooted £140 upgrade is true, I want to know that I will actually not be worse off, i.e. can still find roads that were in V1..... The primary use of a GPS system is to find your way.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveee wrote:
I know that Whitebeam Close (CO4 5H) in Colchester is a relatively new road but is in V1. Can anybody confirm whether it's in V2?
Yes, Whitebeam Close is present in V2, running off Boxted Road. However, I know of a several roads around Cranfield Airfield which have been there a few years, and are present in V1.96 but not in V2.

Personally, I would like the maps from 1.96 with the V2 software. I will stick with V2, but would not want to have paid extra for it.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case this makes any difference to anybody. For some reason, and I don't think it is extra information, the V2 maps take up more storage than V1. UK mainland now takes up about 116mb. Ireland (N and S) needs about another 4mb.
OhBuggerit2k2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhBuggerit2k2 wrote:
Sorry to be negative, I bought the 4410 to run on an XDA II and their customer services has confirmed that it still cannot be done consistantly until the BT stack problem is sorted. What a shame!!

UPDATE: A guy called Bruce Swan from Navman has sent me a couple of fixes that allows the BT GPS unit to work on an XDA II. Mr. Green
Big_Gav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Navman 4410 Version 2 Reply with quote

I have recently purchased the above bundle with a HP2210 and suprised by the errors in the mapping and think I would go to Tom Tom 3 software when it is released

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: