Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rikaline 6021 X6 and Dell
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rikaline 6021 X6 and Dell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Rikaline 6021 X6 and Dell Reply with quote

I seem to have a problem which I need to sort. I recently received a X6 to replace a 6010 that just wouldn't work. The system came with Tomtom2. Initially the X6 worked and I got a satellite lock and could navigate. However it now locks up after as little as 1 minute and that's all you get. This lock up will last for some time and everything has to be turned off.

Some time later you can restart the system and the same happens again although the GPS can still be locked.

This also happens when you use Winfast Navigator to check if the GPS is working. I've just done it and the data stream seems to stop.

I've been trying since before Xmas with one or another system and I'm getting frustrated. One last thing I did install Check POint and speed camera POI.

Thanks

SteveT
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: lock up Reply with quote

may not help but I reduced the amount of poi`s and even "go to co-ordinates" works better now. satalites are found quickly but compass takes a couple minutes.
Trenery
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem and changed my GPS setting in TTN2

GPS = TomTom
Port = Rikaline

Have you installed the latest upgrade from TomTom for the TomTom and GPS software?

You might also have aproblem with your SD memory (if the maps are on it.)

Upgrade your software and try changing your GPS settings. If it is still wrong then install a small map to your built in memory (not the SD card) and try that. If this fixes it then try new SD memory.

Good luck
chris.hevey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem with the same combination when setting this up for a friend. Tried changing settings and upgrading to 2.09 GPS driver from TomTom - no effect.

In the end it turned out to be a faulty X6. Exchanged by supplier - problem went away. This also fixed the thing where you had to choose "Leadtek" as the connection. Newer unit is detected properly as a Rikaline Compact Flash device.
SteveT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been keeping an eye on the replies but I've tried them all to no gain. I'm rapidly heading towards the fact that the GPS is kaput. I'm trying two last things then back to supllier.

1. I've left the GPS for 5 days to let the battery discharge. I read somewhere that the thing can lock itself out but this is repaired when the factory defaults are reset. Does anyone know how long it takes for the internal battery to discharge?

2. I've ordered a PMCIA adapter for the laptop. I will see if the GPS works on the laptop. Is this easy?

Thanks for your help up to now. I will keep you posted

Steve T
chris.hevey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea about how long the backup battery lasts - if it's a lithium cell it could be months - this device majors on low power consumption.

PCMCIA on PC should be easy, you'll need to load the drivers on the little CD before plugging it in, then some GPS free/shareware to see if it's working.

I detect some reluctance to send the thing back though. I was the same. In my case it was because I bought it over the web. It's such a pain in the ar$e packing stuff up and messing around with couriers etc. compared to taking it back to a shop. Not just that, suppliers can take a day or three to turn things around, which is not good when you're sitting there deprived of your new toy.

I ordered this unit 18/12. There was some mix up between the supplier and PayPal (or whoever) so when I phoned on just before Christmas to see why it hadn't turned up, they hadn't even processed the order. It took them an hour or two to sort it, and it arrived 24/12. I was setting this up for a technophobic computerless friend, so I installed the software and messed around for half a day before arriving at the "TomTom GPS" / Leadtek combo to get it to work. "Fine" I thought - let's take it for a drive. The damn Dell USB cable that had worked fine for loading the software refused to draw power from the fag lighter adapter! Phoned supplier who agreed it sounded like the cable was dodgy but the bloke I spoke to would not arrange to send me a new one I had to email tech support.

This supplier claims 2 hour response times to support emails. Very occasionally they do, but most of the time it’s about 24 hours. Obviously they're busy - the poor tech support guy replied at 11:45pm one night. Anyway, after a few days I got tech support to agree with what the guy on the phone said and the cable eventually turned up. Great! Let’s go for a proper drive! Halfway from Milton Keynes to Wokingham the TomTom appeared to hang. Quickly detected it hadn't, it just wasn't getting data from the X6. OK, re-boot. Fixed! Off we go. Stops again. Hmm.. Remove X6 and re-seat. Off we go! Stops again. around with GPS settings. Hoorah!

I was at where you're at now - try anything rather than engage tech support and couriers, but eventually I had to give up. It took about a week to convince them - and they were not being unreasonable - e.g. set it to "TomTom GPS" not "NMEA 4800," download the 2.09 driver., do this try that. This was all fine, but each instruction was taking a day to turn around. Arrgh! Eventually they agreed last Friday that the X6 was dodgy. "You need to arrange to get it down to us." "Do I f***!" thinks me. I wanted to get down there to "facemail" them, which was fine by them but not today as they'd have to get one from the warehouse.

So I did. Drove a 140 mile round trip specially from MK to "North Kensington" in London (The deep south of Kilburn, more like) guided faultlessly by my trusty Ipaq3970, TomTom and Bluetooth Fortuna GPSsmart. Walked into the office. Salesy / director type guy swapped it out without even asking who I was or enquiring what the problem was or if tech support had agreed the exchange or anything. He recognised the box I was holding as one of theirs. Went back to mar car for a test. Hands shaking, I plugged in the shiny new X6. Went to GPS settings. Popped up the box that used to say "Leadtek.." it now had "Realtek CF..." Ticked the box and went to the status tab. The little dots were whizzing to indicate the AXIM was talking to the X6. Bingo! No Satellites! My heart sank. I lobbed it onto the dash and rolled a fag. As I lit up, the AXIM gave out that lovely, gorgeous, "I've got a fix!" bleep. Sorted! Thumbs Up

I could have cried. The AXIM and X6 guided me steadfastly back to MK. Happy ending - I've been using it all week without a problem and I'm training my friend on Sunday to use it - over seven weeks after I ordered it.

Of course I could have spent £100 or so more and bought it from a shop in the first place - so you pays your money and takes your choice....

Moral of story. If you can, get your butt down to the supplier!
SteveT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris.heavey

This is starting to sound vaguely familiar. Wouldn't happen to be 230 Kilburn Lane you went to.

Steve T
chris.hevey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly would be within a few metres of those co-ordinates. (Gettin' the hang of this GPS lingo, see?)

I deliberately avoided naming them as they're nice folks and their prices are really great, but I think they're victims of their own success. Moreover, it was partly my fault for leaving the country for five whole days over new year, and I didn't always give an instant reply to their emails either. Whenever I phoned, Ian (clearly the main tech man) was always on the other line, which is probably why he din't get to reply to emails 'til bedtime. I hope they're paying him enough.

When I went into the "shop" they were manic - boxing stuff up to shift out, phones going constantly. They definitely seem to need more bodies, but that would put their costs up, so the prices go up and so on....

I bought my own Fortuna GPSmart kit from them and there was no problem at all - apart from it took a day or two longer to arrive than expected, and the feedback on their various eBay aliases is overwhelmingly good, so I'd still recommend them - despite my nightmare. I've a feeling my case was relatively rare! The guy in the shop's excellent attitude certainly won them a lot of brownie points with me.

I'd say if you're at the right end of the country it's worth arranging to go there as I did, otherwise I'd say bite the bullet and arrange a postal swap.
SteveT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris

I wasn't criticising them. I just wonder if they have got a bad batch in. Like you I've dealt with them over an extended period (about the same period as you) and they always seem to try to please. I'm just getting frustrated and I'm at the other end of the country so I can't just pop there. I'll try what I've said then back to them it goes.

Steve T
Landcare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds familiar!

I am now on my 3rd X6 this year. The latest version with Rikaline CF driver setting (rather than Leadtek) does work so don't dispare.
Cost me a lot of money in return carriage and it would have been nice if they had owned up to the problem - but its nice when it works!

Send it back & ask for the new version.

Pete
Willo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting on great with my X6 for a couple of weeks now but I think it died yesterday. CE Monitor gets no data from my X6 anymore although it knows the card is there and fires up the green light. Just started out of the blue, TomTom stopped tracking my during a route, when I checked the GPS status it seemed to have hung. If I start the TT GPS console it Fires up the light on the X6 shows the animated dots for a couple of seconds then stops. Anyone heard of this type of thing happening with this unit? Hope it's not dead, it will dent my confidence in the product.

Sounds like I've joined the club here Crying or Very sad

I've mailed rikaline UK support and I'll keep you updated.
Landcare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willo, my second unit did just the same thing - worked ok for 3 days then lost signal on route. Got it going again briefly but then it died completely. (sorry!)
Willo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a replcement today Smile and it's working a treat :D
SteveT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been holding on until I had tested the new unit. I finally gave in and returned the old one three weeks ago. I received a new one a week later with no explanation. However the minute I connected it it worked. I have tested it for two weeks and it seems ok (holding breath). Although I am happy with their service I do wish they would communicate and tell us what's going on.

Anyway I will be testing the checkpoint and speed camera with it next week and see how that goes. Thanks for all the hints and encouragement.

Steve T
Willo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there was a faulty batch? I still wonder if mine is going to work every time I plug it in. I'm sure these concerns will fade with time although I've had a couple of slow TTF in the last couple of days and after 30 seconds or so I start looking at the Rikaline............... Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: