Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Overspeed Warnings Only - please help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Overspeed Warnings Only - please help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexberry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Overspeed Warnings Only - please help! Reply with quote

I've been through this forum and others for the answer, but I can't find it! Confused - How do I load the speed cameras onto my Nuvi 660 in such a way that I only get a warning when I'm over the speed limit near a camera, and not merely within close proximity?

I've tried to load then using the manual feature in POILoader (new Beta version), and I thought I'd managed it - I selected the "Alert when speed is greater than the Alert Speed", with the default speed set according to the specific csv file. Makes sense to me, but it didn't work, and I still get the annoying bong whenever I approach a camera regardless of my speed.

The only alternative I can think of is to use a silent .wav to mask the bong, but will this not also cancel the overspeed warning too? If this is the answer, though, how should I go about creating a silent .wav?

If you can help, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get one bong or many bongs over and over?
alexberry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just get one bong when approaching the camera - I've set the unit to single tone. But in a city like Edinburgh, there are so many cameras everywhere, it still seems like a constant stream of bongs! :o

It doesn't bother me so much, but it really annoys my gadget-averse wife, who can't see the point of the satnav telling you about a speed camera if the roads are never clear enough to get anywhere near the speed limit anyway... I have to admit, she has a point!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure if you play with the Manual Mode settings further you should be able to achieve this - failing that, you could always try Ash's utility (see the sticky in this forum), which I think can turn off the distance warning.

Finally, I often find when your speed is a lot under the speed limit of the camera, I don't even receive the initial warning...
alexberry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no joy... I tried another approach - I unchecked the box where it asks if the file contains proximity warnings. Doing so causes the alerts frame to grey-out altogether.

I expected this to stop the unit providing alerts altogether, but no - it still bongs at me as I aproach a 30mph gatso doing less than 20mph.

It's not the kph/mph thing either, I've set that properly... The bong is the proximity bong, it still produces the higher-not overspeed bong at speeds greater than 30mph.

I also deleted the old custom POIs off my unit before trying the above, to avoid any possibility of contamination with the old POI data.

So, any ideas? Is it something wrong with the new beta-version POILoader, perhaps? What about the silent .wav file? As things stand, Garmin's own camera database is proving more liveable with - it might not be as comprehensive as the GPSW one, but at least it doesn't drive me up the wall with constant bonging... (I know it also bongs on proximity, but there are less cameras in the database, so it's not so often.)

As before - please help!

Many thanks,
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexberry wrote:
Is it something wrong with the new beta-version POILoader, perhaps?
I've certainly heard of one or odd things happening with the new beta version which don't make sense, and are being attributed to the beta version - but once the data is transferred it should be simply using the logic within the Nuvi.
fjle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am having trouble with overspeed warning on the Nuvi 310, I have set all the alerts manually on the POI loader (beta) and included wave files with voice warnings, Liz I belive. She now tells me of the approaching cameras even when I am way under the speed limit and continues to tell me about them until I am past them, this gets irratating when I am in slow moving traffic and getting the warnings 4 or 5 times until I pass the camera, she is also warning me of cameras on the oppisite carrigeways. I have the audio alterts on the single setting in the options on the unit. Please anyone any ideas. By the way great forum.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an experiment, try deleting one of the Liz WAV files and reloading all the POIs and see what happens. Also - what exactly is being displayed in the red banner at the top at the time of the warning, as this will tell you why it has played the warning sound...?

In very slow moving traffic, you will discover that when you start driving towards the camera site the unit will bong / play the WAV file again - you'll have to listen carefully for the bongs, but they will happen.

I'm not seeing this constant warning problem, except when I would expect additional warnings (slow traffic as above, real overspeed warnings).
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing to realise is that for now the POI database is not directional so it will warn of other carriageway cameras or as in my area mobile cameras on or under a bridge that cant really affect you. I still beleive its better to get some false bongs than miss the thats going to get you 8O

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have set all the alerts manually on the POI loader (beta) and included wave files with voice warnings, Liz I believe. She now tells me of the approaching cameras even when I am way under the speed limit and continues to tell me about them until I am past them,

1) It could be the way you set the alert is causing this

or

2) a previous version of POILoader had a bug that caused all POIs to alert all the time when loaded with it. Possible the bug has slipped back in knowing Garmin software history. Great hardware - crap software.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
2) a previous version of POILoader had a bug that caused all POIs to alert all the time when loaded with it. Possible the bug has slipped back in knowing Garmin software history.
I'm not experiencing it, so it's not as simple as a repeat of the last bug which caused it to happen for everyone.
fjle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, I have gone back to the most recent stable release of poi loader and it seems to be ok now. I will wait for the next stable release before I try again, I really liked the ability to iclude wav files and combine your poi in folders

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: