Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Stolen Satnavs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Stolen Satnavs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dejaycejay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was in the vehicle. I was in the back of the van. And no I didnt hear him or feel the van move. I was probable followed. I did the same route daily, sort of. But a regular drop. But I supose I was lucky.. It was Forrest gate, london. Nice area.

Clive.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO-GO-910 wrote:
So now i get to thinking that in reality most phones get stolen by robbery from the person or mugging, whatever you like to call it, so whats the difference with your satnav?.

While it is true that mobile phones are stolen by mugging the number is actually much smaller than you may think. It's also the case the majority who are mugged are young and it's their peers who are committing the crime. It's unlikely that those in this age group will be carrying satnavs.

Most phones which are stolen are by opportunistic crime ie people leaving them unattended (on desks, bars, tables etc).
The vast majority of phones which do go missing aren't stolen at all but just lost. Due to insurance conditions some may claim the loss as theft rather than loss otherwise they may not be covered.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clive wrote:
My tomtom has an excellent antitheft system, its free, its available to all at no cost, it has worked flawlessly for the past 3 years.

Its called the 'never ever ever leave it in your car alone even for one minute' system. If everyone implemented this system, theft rates would drop as close to zero as makes no difference. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you didnt use this system when your TT was stolen?

And for the future you'd prefer to use the 'fix it with complex technology that doesn't in any case work' solution, rather than the one I referred to?

Good reason not to buy a Go. In summer, not wearing a jacket, and not carrying a briefcase, where do you put it? Other makes, and other TT models fit into a large pocket.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO-GO-910 wrote:
Tumbleweed wrote:
Its called the 'never ever ever leave it in your car alone even for one minute' system. If everyone implemented this system, theft rates would drop as close to zero as makes no difference.

So there you are walking down the road with your satnav in your pocket, the scumbag has just seen you get out of your car with it.
So now i get to thinking that in reality most phones get stolen by robbery from the person or mugging, whatever you like to call it, so whats the difference with your satnav?.

Its not being stolen off a 12 year old? I also doubt in any event that 'most' mobiles are stolen directly, most are in fact probably just left around where its easy to pick them up. Or at least, I bet my statistics are as reliable as yours on this :-).

I know several people whose satnavs have been stolen from their vehicles, I dont know a single one who has had a sat nav stolen in a personal robbery. I bet the same is true for you and the vast majority of people reading this thread.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
Clive wrote:
My tomtom has an excellent antitheft system, its free, its available to all at no cost, it has worked flawlessly for the past 3 years.

Its called the 'never ever ever leave it in your car alone even for one minute' system. If everyone implemented this system, theft rates would drop as close to zero as makes no difference. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you didnt use this system when your TT was stolen?

And for the future you'd prefer to use the 'fix it with complex technology that doesn't in any case work' solution, rather than the one I referred to?

Good reason not to buy a Go. In summer, not wearing a jacket, and not carrying a briefcase, where do you put it? Other makes, and other TT models fit into a large pocket.

I put mine into a small bag that also carries the car charger lead and the mounting bracket. But i agree that with the smaller ones you could now leave those in the car (out of sight obviously!) and put the TT in a (largish) pocket.
jaff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know it sounds stupid but alot of people dont do this, dont just remove the sat nav from site but also all traces of it, such as charger and harnes, also to this give the windscreen a quick wipe to remove the cricle thye suction cup leaves. Basically dont give any one any clues that you have one, because the engineers at my wok have not done this and have had the vans broken into inthe off cance that the unit is still in the van. Ive told them about the circle on the windscreen and they wer like "its so obvious a clue that they missed it completely."

just a wee tip.

~ROss
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dejaycejay wrote:
Yes, it was in the vehicle. I was in the back of the van. And no I didnt hear him or feel the van move. I was probable followed.

Clive.

More likely, some chancer looked in the front of the van and saw it there, with the door unlocked, maybe open, in the same way they'd nick a couple of £50 notes you left lying on the dashboard. No need to invoke conspiracy theories about being followed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: